Worst examples of clipping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, May 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I'm a little ignorant about this. I think I know what it is, but am not sure. What is "clipping" and what will it sound like when I hear it?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

No foolin'. It is a lightbulb.

Regards,

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Put your name (at least your first name) in your signature line so I know what to call you.

Well, here is a definition of clipping. This type of clipping is caused by an amplifier that is turned up too loud, but the idea is the same. The problem these days is that CD's are mastered to sound this way on purpose:

Clipping:

A signal that results from an amplifier that is either overloaded or underpowered relative to the signal Amplitude it being asked to generate. A clipped waveform is one in which the gently rounded peaks and valleys of the AC audio wave are instead sliced off or clipped, to yield what looks a lot like a square or alternating DC wave. When DC is applied to a speaker, the voice coil has no means of propelling itself relative to a constant magnetic field. Instead, it can only convert the incoming current to heat, and ultimately burns up. The effect of alternating DC on speakers is remarkable, irritating, painful, and short. If you are able to hear evident Distortion at high volume levels, or smell smoke, reduce the volume. It may already be too late for your speakers, but at least you may be able to save the amplifier.

4. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes you can get it on vinyl. Sadly it's the same horrible sounding album. I'm optomistic that the live versions of "Vapor Trails" songs sound much better on the upcoming live DVD.

5. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Thanks for the reply - but BUMMER :(

All the best - Andrew

6. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

I have always wondered what, technically, "hot" means. I've known for ages that we want hot stampers for our LPs, and that we want Metal Box (not Second Edition) because it's "cut hotter"; I think I know what it sounds like, but I wonder...

7. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Steve gave you the real answer, and told you that the CD's we're talking about are meant to sound that way.

On the CD, it's technically not really "clipping", just topping out the sound wave within the limits of the CD's range

Here's what "Heartless" by Heart from the Capitol CD Magazine looks like in wave form:
    link here

And this is what the same song looks like from Sony's '98 Greatest Hits:
    link here

Here's a close up of the very first beat from the Capitol CD:
    link here

And the same first beat from the '98 Greatest Hits:
    link here

Those flat spots in the sound wave - the "square wave" - are what we are calling "clipping" - we also call it the "buzz-cut" look. CD players only spit out static in those areas. If you heard the '98 Greatest Hits CD, you'd know how bad it sounds. There's this edgy hissy sound throughout the disc. Also, every part of the song from the first beat to the end sounds the same, there is no apparent loudness difference within the song. I can't even listen to it at all at any volume.

PS. had to put links to the images because I couldn't post the image directly from webshots.

Also had to fix some of them.

Joel

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

9. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Hmm....I always wondered about this. My copy seems to distort a lot in the left channel. Is this just the way it was mastered? :confused:

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

ANybody damiliar with The Cramps: Gravest Hits? I would say that producer Alex Chilton used "intentional clipping" (no penalty here! :) ) All I have is the CD, but, when I get a chance, I'll run it through CoolEdit. I'm curious to see how a waveform for "Human Fly" looks as it was intended to sound distorted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.