Worst RSD 2019 releases.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pauluz, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I made it through five sides. Not even going to try Jimi. Huge waste of money.

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

That should be a pretty big clue that it will sound like junk!

3. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Ha ha ha! Through the Past Darkly. "Cutting corners". ;):)
    :hide:

jonathan, D.B., crp207 and 44 others like this.
  4. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, the mono Woodstock has a 4.9 out of 5 rating with 11 ratings posted on discogs. Wonder if they actually listened to it before rating it. Maybe this will help me to sell mine there!

uzn007, ODShowtime and MungoMusic like this.
  5. carlo

carlo Forum Resident

My EU pressing is fine. It sounds better than it looks. No clicks. Just a view hairlines because of the original inner sleeve.

6. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

That's not what it is tho, and that bizarre descriptor should have been the red flag.
    The PA system at Woodstock was not mono, and even if it was, where did the source come from? Someone standing in front of the PA?
    It is a bastardisation of the term soundboard, in effect a monitor tape for reference purposes. But this isn't even just a collection of those sources, it is edited together with mono rough mixes and parts of the promo folddown. This has NOTHING to do with what people in the audience heard.
    A collection of totally unedited versions of the material from the original album, in good sound, might have been worthy. But this made an already primitive sounding album unlistenable, and mono has nothing to do with it.
    On the other hand, the Janis and Sly Woodstock releases were quite nice.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I haven't paid close attention to the RSD releases this year, since I knew I wasn't going.

But when I saw this thread I thought: "Mono Woodstock? Is this a joke?"

The whole thing with mono isn't that mono is itself somehow superior. It's that there are some interesting/unique/superior mono mixes for music that was originally released up through the mid/late '60s. Not every mono is great, or even worth having. But there are some mono issues worth hearing for the superior presentation.

But Woodstock? There was never a unique mono mix. There's a worthless fold down. And there are various mono bootlegs. None of which is superior to the released stereo mix.

So what's the point of Woodstock in mono on vinyl? None. If you want mono, play the stereo version and hit the mono button on your receiver.

This is the kind of release that serves as strong evidence for the argument that RSD has devolved into a way for labels to sell worthless old wine in new bottles.

I can't wait for mono "Frampton Comes Alive" "newly mixed to mono from the original stereo mixdown masters!"

Dodoz, izgoblin, NapalmBrain and 19 others like this.
  8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok. I purchased the "mono" Woodstock release, and listened to the first LP. To me this isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be. I don't know the sources used for the mix, yes it could be a folddown, but overall I didn't think it sounded bad - it is what it is considering it was taking from some tape source that was recorded in dire conditions 50 years ago.

Is it a necessary release - obviously not. I'm not sure how many times I would play this, considering I have the original LP, the MFSL CD version, a multitude of reissue box sets on both vinyl and CD (and video). A money grab, in some ways yes - am I as ticked off about buying it as others - absolutely not.

And, once again it isn't a sonic masterpiece, yet it isn't as bad as I thought it would be based on others opinions. And so far the one LP I played was perfectly pressed.

intv7 and Summerisle like this.
  9. rolli

rolli Forum Resident

This is disappointing. I bought the Woodstock release under the impression that it integrated the real Woodstock performances of a couple tracks (i.e. Arlo Guthrie, CSN) that were actually taken from other concerts... and for some reason the actual Mono P.A. mix aspect intrigued me... I had no idea what P.A. mix the audience was listening to at the event. You have to take some stuff on faith. And with RSD releases you can't wait until the reviews are in to make a decision to buy... you have to blindly leap into abyss right away.

I haven't listened to it yet, but per this thread... seems I've been warned not to expect much... this release can't live up to the hype. It was pricey... I mean you can get an original used copy for a quarter of the price. Makes you feel like a mark. Maybe I should consider keeping it sealed and see if I can recoup my loss? Bummer.

BNell and Ricardo Cosinaro like this.
  10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Personally, to me, it sounded like some of the cuts were different than the original Woodstock album, but then again it has been awhile since I listened to any Woodstock - but back in the day I listened to this album A LOT since it was released sometime after the show. I actually had a cassette version I would play over and over on my little portable cassette tape player back in the early 70's.

Larry L and phillyal1 like this.
  11. Glass Candy

Expectations are a thing. If you expect nothing from the Woodstock set, you'll find a few things to enjoy. The full We're Not Gonna Take It is a first on an audio release I believe. Unfortunately it is too fast, in common with the bootleg soundboard. I think all the soundboard tracks were taken direct from bootlegs.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

some people, maybe.

Sean and vinyl diehard like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...aye aye aye...!!! ...gotta give it to you though...that *was* pretty funny:D

Sean, CBackley, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  14. Further

Further Forum Resident

All the people that answered Woodstock mono are right. It’s certainly the worst thing I bought this RSD and I actually collect all things Woodstock.

Live and learn but I too was expecting something better than what we got here - definitely not a very good way to kick off the 50th anniversary but the worst of it is that some kid new to this stuff might buy this used and think wtf? Once you take the outer wrap off, there is nothing to warn you about the crap contained within or that it’s a different version of the soundtrack.

I would hate to think someone who’s never heard the original would think this was the official soundtrack. The cover is an exact reproduction of the stereo version which, by the way, is a sonic gem compared to this catastrophe. They should have at least changed the artwork and put a steaming turd on the cover.

Anyone still on the fence, don’t waste your time here - it’s an expensive way to satisfy your curiousity and most likely will never be played again.

Warren Hawk and PsychGuy like this.
  15. Woodstock Mono even has a disclaimer sticker on it telling how $hitty it sounds.

marcb and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have a copy that came from the massive box set a couple of years ago...sounds incredible.

spindly and Lost In The Flood like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Well, the almost complete Hendrix performance has been around for a long time, in stereo, in pretty nice quality. I understand it's not warts 'n' all, every second Jimi and the band were onstage, but it'll do.

I had the Woodstock RSD in hand ($60) on Saturday, thinking about it, but really happy I didn't go for it now. I see enough decent copies of the original, and Woodstock Two, which actually has a higher percentage of music I actually want.

Christopher B likes this.
  18. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

So "Coming Into Los Angeles" by AG and "Sea of Madness" by CSNY are the same as original LP? They were advertised as original performances!!
    I was especially dying to hear SOM!! I know the original CILA is on the Yasgurs 6 CD set.
    Damn, I bought one on eBay for $63! Not happy.

Lost In The Flood and uzn007 like this.
  19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

That mono Woodstock smelled like doody to me from a mile away. I think they used the word "mono" as a mind trick there.

20. Glass Candy

Exactly the same, but rough mono mixes. How did the rumor start that they were different performances?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Read it on the long RSD thread. Can't remember post #.

22. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Perhaps an unintended re-creation of the sanitary conditions there?

23. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I have this too. I can only compare it generally to the mono CD set, which IMO is marred by excessive bass. This is better balanced, but it’s consistent with what I think of as the “ABKCO DSD house sound”: better than most digital reissues but no match for original pressings. I have an original stereo UK Big Hits, so having a mono reissue was appealing.

Sean, hulloder72, DK Pete and 4 others like this.
  24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I actually just became a member because i needed a support group after spending 60 plus tax on this dissapointment called woodstock mono pa. Wow its all over the place. There's actually a few things that sound very cool (sha na na for instance, imagine that!) But as others have said, some sounds downright atrocious (the who). And def some head scratchers with cutting out some spoken stuff, and adding other stuff. I made it through the first 2 albums, still have the third with the airplane, sly, butterfield and hendrix. Got my fingers crossed for something exciting and worth 60 bucks. And as others have said, what the hell was i expecting anyway? Just hoping for a little of that mono magic that has made me smile and given me goosebumps in the past, i guess. Shoulda known better on this one... hopefully they redeem it somehow with a worthy 50th anniversary release.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

thankfully i feel like i had all of the necessary information to make well informed choices prior to purchasing. i targeted the AAA and RTI pressed stuff and i've yet to be disappointed. i knew that bob dylan "test pressing" was going to be a problem as soon as i saw the packaging so i didn't bother.

Guitarded likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.