Worth it for me Getting into Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noonie, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

You are about 25 years too late. You should now be focused on buying CDs for the very same reasons that many of us were buying vinyl 25 years ago.

Randy W and vinylontubes like this.
  2. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Your listening time seems limited and is mostly done in the car and walking around......then probably not worth it for the hour a day you would be using your vinyl rig. That said, you do NOT have to spend ANYWHERE NEAR 8000.00 bucks to enjoy decent vinyl playback, that's just wrong.:yikes:

bluemooze, displayname, gov and 4 others like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I really enjoy records, but it is a commitment- equipment, including a good phono stage, set up, selection of phono cartridge. Buying records- most of what I seek isn't going to be found in a crate or in a Goodwill, so I'm buying used records online, though I will go to record shows. I've found that my interests in music change, as my ear evolves and I learn more. (I'm almost 65 and though I've been an audiophile since I was a teen, I'm constantly learning). The challenge with older copies is condition as well as the ability to clean effectively. But, despite all those hurdles, you may find it worth the trouble.
    It's hard to distinguish between the more traditional path of gradually upgrading to get where you want to be and constantly wanting 'more better'; one thing I've learned over the years is that some vintage equipment is actually preferred for phono and arm (and not a cost-saving move as opposed to buying new).
    I had lost interest in jazz until a few years ago when I got back into more avant-garde styles of soul jazz and spiritual jazz. Some of those records are quite pricey now, but some have been decently reissued and there are still under the radar bargains that can be found for almost nothing.
    So, time, effort and expense. Learning. Research, not just about gear and set up but also about the music, the musicians, the history of it-- all fascinating stuff. No doubt you could do a lot of that digitally, though in some cases the records were not released on a CD.
    Start spending a little time with people who own decent vinyl systems. It is also worthwhile to get plugged into the local record scene if there is one-
    I probably spend far more time researching music and listening than I do fiddling with gear or looking for the next great (gear) thing but I've been at this a while.
    If you think this is something you'd enjoy, try to experience as much as you can and learn what you can before you start talking to dealers. Used equipment is often a higher value proposition if you know what you are doing and have a trusted dealer.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

No kidding! Where do people come up with crap like that? Now, that said, I wouldn't get into collecting vinyl if you don't already have a collection. At 69, I never left playing records, I just moved to CDs and then streaming. But as I have about 500 LPs from the old days, I did add the Technics 1210 GR a little over a week ago to compliment my mid-80's Technics linear drive table I've had since then.

I think you can get a fine basic turntable and cartridge for $500-700 and, if you have an amp or receiver with a built in phono stage, you don't need to buy a separate. I never use them as all my great has good built in phono stages. Still, the whle vinyl thing is a commitment far above CDs or streaming. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

If one has an interest in the format it really hurts nothing to get a decent turntable and buy a few LPs. Not everyone with a turntable takes this stuff so seriously.

6. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I should add that my younger son thought he should get into vinyl. I gave him a Denon DP23f I had laying around and he got a few LPs for Xmas last year. I swapped him out my recently acquired Marantz TT-530 linear table as it's a bit simpler to use and more forgiving. He's running it through a Marantz PM5005 and NHT SuperOne speakers. From what I gather, he's sort of over it (he's about to turn 20) and back to Spotify play lists.

timind likes this.
  7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Crap like what? Neither one of you are including "all" that will be necessary to spin those records. It's not $8,000.00 for the turntable, I said $8,000.00 for the turntable, phono stage, cartridge and all vinyl related accessories, and lest we forget the record cleaning machine, everyone speaks about all the time. If I recall, I believe it was csgreene that just said, worth getting a turntable and your response, nope!

I could tell before I wrote a word Noonie is a discriminating buyer, a product researcher, he is not going to be happy with some inexpensive AT turntable, with some $200.00 cartridge, so I'm not going to be off on that $8,000.00 price for all the necessary equipment to be up to his digital standards. Some keep saying vinyl is just better sounding than digital, no matter what level of analog equipment you purchase, and it ain't so, plain and simple.

Tullman and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

People who currently play and enjoy vinyl will tell you it's worth it.

People who dumped vinyl years ago and dislike it will tell you it isn't worth it.

Solution: find someone who is into it and listen to their rig and then decide if you like what you hear. If you can't find anyone like that but still want to explore it, do so in a modest way and see if you like it. There's always time to upgrade if you discover you like it.

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I play and enjoy vinyl every day, and I told him that based on his listening habits and life circumstances as described, I didn't think he'd particularly enjoy vinyl.

timind and eddiel like this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My comments were general in nature and I think that in that context they are valid. Can't speak for everyone and don't try to.

11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Dude, spending $8k to get into vinyl is absurdity. And it was indeed me that said to a new potential devotee that it wasn't worth it, period. But if he is, he can get into a great set-up for a couple grand. An RCM is a luxury and a Spin Clean or the good old sink will work wonders. I've been into this for 55+ years and if I were starting fresh today, I'd stream and maybe buy CDs. If I had a record collection (I do) that would change my thinking. But less than $2000 will buy a great vinyl setup.

At this very moment, I'm playing the Best of the Doobies LP on my 1210Gr through my Yamaha RX-V900 into Celestion DL8 IIs using an AT450 cart. It sounds great and cost a fraction of your $8k figure.

12. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Man put down the hash pipe,...... you're telling someone he has to spend more than double or triple what he invested in the rest of his system to enjoy vinyl playback and that's just crazy.
    Everyone is a discriminating buyer, we want the best we can AFFORD. And you have no idea, he might think a 500.00 table sounds just fine. Hell my 70s yamaha table with 150.00 cartridge sounds pretty decent considering I've got less than 400. bucks in it altogether. Does it sound like an 5000. or 10,000. setup.....OF COURSE NOT, but as meager as it may be it still can rival my digital side with a clean pressing.
    Fine points have been made here, the OP doesn't have a starting collection it sounds like. His listening routine doesn't sound like it fits cleaning records, sitting down and listening to album sides etc., his routine is more mobile where he can't spin records, so it doesn't on the surface look to fit his current routine.
    But the other aspects that go along with getting a vinyl collection going can be fun and enjoyable for an extremely modest investment.......That said, YES you can spend an unlimited amount trying to reach your own vinyl nirvana so those warnings are also accurate, but saying that you can't get enjoyable vinyl playback for less than 8 grand is just ridiculous.

13. Litejazz53

It wasn't a hash pipe, it was a bong, but I did put it down, and put together a decent combo, so I'm going to come off the $8,000.00 figure and drop the record cleaner completely, so here is my list, did I do good?

VPI Prime Scout Turntable $2,500.00
    Ortofon Quintet Black MC $1,000.00
    Parasound JC-3 JR
    phono stage $1,500.00
    Cleaning Accessories $150.00

Nice Dust Cover $260.00

Total: $5,410.00 Plus Tax (List Prices)

Many of the big boys on here spend well over a meager $8,000.00 on a turntable "alone" a cartridge "alone" and a phono stage "alone." They are the big hitters in vinyl, and I'm not one of them. I just want him to be happy when he jumps in.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

Well if you put it down, pass it over here......:laugh:. I don't find anything wrong with your list, and yes you did good, you slashed almost 3 grand off your original estimate.
    You can still start an enjoyable vinyl setup for WAY less than that but, ok you win ......5400.00 it is.:shrug:

Litejazz53 likes this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Litejazz does have a point. Going into vinyl on the cheap is a recipe for likely disappointment. I tried to get back into vinyl playback on the cheap and it didn't work out. I am going to go at it again but with a more realistic budget for my expectations. It will be less than Litejazz's $5410 version of a minimum setup. But will be more than the cost of my digital setup. I own a couple yards of records and continue to buy a few each year. So I have that part covered. Just need a suitable turntable setup to play them with.

What's a minimum acceptable record playback setup will all depend on your expectations and what level of sound quality you've become accustomed to.

displayname, nosliw and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Sorry, still insanity. Jesus, I don't have that much into my most expensive system. Your reality is different from most people's reality, especially someone just starting out.

Then again, that's why I answered the OP with a simple "nope". He should absolutely forget getting into vinyl. CDs and streaming are much more pleasing to the average listener. Only the insane or those of us who have clung to their albums and turntables are likely candidates for vinyl. It doesn't sound better, it's far more expensive, and it's a rabbit hole that most shouldn't go down.

Sterling1 and timind like this.
  17. Litejazz53

Thanks Ham, they were working me over pretty good. I think you said it best, one really does have to spend more on a vinyl setup than they would on a digital set up. Speaking of digital, I found some really nice Reference Recordings, CD's and SACD's for that right price on Import CDs. They have a new Christmas CD that is very well recorded, True Concord.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Litejazz53

In regard to your post, second paragraph, I could not have said it better, I forgot the rabbit hole thing, so right! I am just like you, keep jumping in and out of the vinyl business as I have so many darn albums.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And it's only because I have albums from my earliest years that have been with me for decades that I do this. Starting fresh today? No freakin' way would I get into vinyl in a serious way. Having received my new turntable last Thursday, I'm on a kick and know what to expect. If I'd grown up on CDs and streaming, I wouldn't be happy. But knowing what to expect, even though my records are old, they are mostly in very good condition so the noise of some of them in quiet passages doesn't bother me. I am planning to give a number of them a good clean and see if that helps but, to me, it just seems right listening to the Doobs, The Who, Led Zep, Jethro Tull, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, Henry Mancini, Steely Dan, Foghat, Howlin' Wolf, BB King, etc. etc. on LPs not CDs (even though I do that too). But no way in hell would I buy any of those records new as re-releases, etc.

Great example, I bought "Swiss Movement" in 1969 and have the original album I bought way back then. If it hasn't been played a thousand times, I'd be surprised. I also bought a copy some years back on CD. Clean, better sound, and it sounds *more real* for lack of a better term. Which do I play all the time? The old LP.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  20. Litejazz53

I put the majority of the bucks into this little player in 2019.

[​IMG]

eelkiller, SandAndGlass and csgreene like this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Suh-weet! I make do with a Marantz CD6004 and two other lower cost machines (in my profile equipment listings).

22. Litejazz53

I sold some really old but vintage Jeff Rowland stuff to fund the purchase and the Polk LSiM 707 and 703 speakers, they were almost giving away, so sweet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. dennem

dennem Forum Resident

I love vinyl, but when I first bought a turntable I did not know if I was going to like it or not. I ended up loving it for the sound quality and better mastering of many of my favorite albums from 60-80s

Try this: get yourself a $300-500 vinyl rig. Great value can be found in vintage Japanese direct-drive tables, much better than modern Regas and Projects. Try it for some time. If you don’t love it - sell it. You will never know if you don’t try. I’m very happy I did.

24. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

You sound as if you have the interest and enthusiasm already, so I'd say yes, go for it.

25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I tried that. Didn't work for me. I need more than a $500 setup (even at used prices) to get what I consider adequate playback for what I've become accustomed to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.