Worth it for me Getting into Vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noonie, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It took hearing jazz on vinyl to truly get into it and I have plummeted down the rabbit hole ever since. There is a realism and presence on vinyl that streaming didn’t approach, for me. Enjoy the journey!

ss nimrod, FashionBoy, fabre and 3 others like this.
  2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Very nice. I own the JVC QL-Y5F turntable myself and it's an amazing turntable. Who did you bought it from and where was it serviced at in Toronto, just in case if I need mine serviced in the future?

3. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Hi csgreen, I know from your posts that you are enjoying your new TT, and rightfully so! However, this is not the end. There is even more listening fun to be gained.

There is more mass in the platter to absorb reflected energy from the stylus (e.g. Transrotor, Mitchell Orbe, etc. ) or even air suspension ( Techdas Airforce One,...), magnetic bearings to decouple the platter (Transrotor, EAT, ...), isolating motors or even using 2 or more motors to get a dead stable and clean speed, hi tech arms, high precision cartridges with super stiff leicht weight cantilevers and coils, etc.

Granted that the first 1000$ are the most valuable spent! Whether anyone wants to go further is a personal choice, but there is more excitement to be had, albeit that the gains per 1000 $ get smaller.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I almost never say never but I can absolutely guaranty that will never happen. I'm not anywhere as serious as some of you guys. Bottom line is I have intention of doing anything other than playing my records on it as is. At some point, I will get another cart but that's it.

LakeMountain, MusicNBeer and Noonie like this.
  5. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

If you are interested in jazz, then yes absolutely. It sounds amazing on vinyl and there are so many really well done AAA vinyl reissue programs active now. It can get a bit pricey, but the sound is incredible.

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

An LPs sound ' f e e l s ' truly wonderful - a natural sound wave. A CDs sound is 'accurate' but a digital sound wave.

Vinyl is an 'involvement'... & investment. A total musical involvement... at a cost.

Digital is extremely convenient, super easy, and much safer than playing records... especially when drinking! :agree:

Find an 'vintage' TT that functions perfectly - they are around. Use a $200+ cartridge (I like Ortofon). Use gold headshell Lutz leads.

Buy your albums slowly... no hurry, only what you really dig. If you buy used... M- only !!!

Good luck! Hope this helps.

:bdance:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    LakeMountain likes this.
  7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Absolutely, without question. :agree:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

This is misinformation. There's no such thing as a digital sound wave. The digital data is converted to an analog sound wave, extremely accurately even at redbook resolution.

If you like vinyl's distortion, and vinyl only superior mastering on certain albums, that's one thing. I even do. But to say the preference for vinyl is something inherently missing from digital is incorrect.

9. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Vinyl's sound!! :righton:

Digital data is 'converted'? :yikes:

:wave:

10. LakeMountain

....and time will tell!;).

I had some records that I hardly played anymore, because they sounded less “involving” in spite of being good music. Later, I got them out with my new set up and I was immediately sucked into them now.
    Even poorer recordings sound better with better equipment! (albeit never as good as good recordings).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. LakeMountain

Converted twice! At the recording by ADC and finally by DAC again.

bluesky likes this.
  12. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

The Tone Poet Series alone was worth it for me. I wrote it several times but discovering Jazz this way opened up a whole new world for me. I enjoy listening to these records so much that I don't regret having spent all the money on records and equipment (which is very little in comparison to most people on here). It does make a difference for me and that is what counts.

I am just listening to Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse and this music just warms my heart.

(I spent 700 on my turntable (new, without cartridge), 250 on the cartridge (new), 270 on a phono preamp (used) and ~100 on cables.)

13. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I went from hearing Jazz to enjoying Jazz. So I’m in agreement with you. That makes it all 100% worth it in my world.

14. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

At least for me a very nice TT and cartridge can be had for around two grand. My integrated already had a phono pre that works well with my mm cart. The biggest financial consideration to me was the cost of buying records. There are new records, but they are not cheap and may not encompass all of the more esoteric jazz recordings, but for well known stuff you listen to a lot, I think the pristine sound quality of new is a good thing. For truly collectible stuff the prices can get crazy. For cheap "finds" at places like Goodwill or Half Price Books there is always hope, but don't go with your heart set on anything specific. If within those general parameters you can afford to feed your habit, go for it. If you can't feed your habit and end up listening to a couple dozen records over and over, it might not be a happy place. I have grown my collection enough that I have some variety, but you never stop buying records.

LakeMountain and Noonie like this.
  15. LakeMountain

Following the motto “save the best for last” I am finishing almost every listening session with Jazz from the fifties and sixties, pure analog joy. Most are second hand, but I had no issues with damage. It seems that Jazz buyers are careful owners :).

Dexter Gordon Blows Hot and Cool, Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson, Duke Ellington and Jonny Hodges...

.....and even better vocal Jazz: John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, Earl Coleman Returns, Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto, Billie Holiday Last Recording, ....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  16. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

IMHO - I have had vinyl for years, stopped using it as I was moving so much and never really had time or place to set it up.
    Now that I'm settled, I have it set up and am now realizing what I had been missing over the years...
    I sit down in front of my system with the album cover in my hand and simply immerse into the music while learning about the band, or reading the lyrics (if any).

I never got that with CD, and even less so with streaming so...

If you want a hobby that you can enjoy and continually upgrade, I'd say go for it.

Since I've gotten back in I've upgraded my speakers (twice), my turntable, amps (bought old school Adcoms), and am finding a lot of pleasure in going to the antique shops with my S/O and rummaging through their bins.
    I just bought 4 albums while on vacation in the mountains in shops up there.

The hobby does require space for storage of media, and supplies (record cleaners, et al) but I'll never stop listening to my vinyl now that I'm back in...

17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Vinyl is converted as well, unless you think those grooves are actually people playing instruments in your room for you.

Then converted again by the cart.

So twice, just like digital.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    I like both vinyl and CD. Get the best version for the money that I can. Sometimes that's CD, sometimes it's vinyl.

I find it amusing when people try to steer others away from vinyl, like they are doing them a huge favor, rather than just try to help them make the right choices. Like with most hobbies, you really have to try it to know if it's for you. No one can tell you they know you're going to hate it.

I think $1K to $2K is a great entry point for a table (for those who want to do vinyl seriously). $1K for a phono stage. $200 for a cart (you'll need to replace it anyways in a couple of years, so you can step up then). That's maybe $2,500 before cleaning supplies and other tools.

I spent about that (a bit less since I bought used). Have about the same level of CD player, also bought used. Both sources sound amazing.

Since when is a Rega P3/Clearaudio Concept/Scout Jr. type table a terrible option? I would say that's the sweet spot for the serious audiophile who doesn't want to spend an exhorbitant amount of money to listen to music. And for those of us living in the real world, that's a good chunk of money.

bluesky, wellers73 and elvisizer like this.
  18. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

a decent sl-1200 with denon dl103r cart will set you back about 1000$. add a decent phono and your up to 1500$.

not the end of the world. but then if you like jazz and wants some good pressings, be ready to spend about 20$ for each LP's.

its not cheap, but to my ears, it sounds amazing so its worth it

19. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

If you sit down and do nothing but listen to music for at least seven to 10 hours/week I would not say no.
    The costs are considerable, especially with older records but for the dedicated (like me) there is no substitute.

LakeMountain likes this.
  20. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

You need to spend allot of money to get a decent sounding vinyl rig going....and then the cost of records is expensive too. So the most important factor is how much disposable income you have... an average turntable/cart will be bested easily by a very inexpensive digital setup.

csgreene likes this.
  21. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Sometime around 20 years ago, I lost most of my vinyl to due basement flooding (the vinyl had to be where it was). That was enough for me to bail. I did manage to save some of the vinyl; it's now in digital format. I've had to buy some vinyl-only releases since then, but that phase, too, is over. Gave away what remained to a younger colleague who wanted to get going with vinyl. Seems like everyone involved is happy!

22. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I’m guessing every who says it takes thousands of dollars to get into vinyl is hereby declared wrong.:D

23. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift Thread Starter

Like most things, it’s subjective!

I find that the act of “listening to music” is so subjective. To my ears a sub $1k set up may sound great, and the same record on a $5k set up to someone else may sound terrible. And that $5k system to me might sound marginally better but not 5x better.

24. MisterKite

MisterKite Well-Known Member

I love vinyl - but GREAT pressings/masterings are/can be $$$. New vinyl is usually digital - so skip those - use a streamer (I use a CC audio for bit perfect playback) for that. RP1 is a good turntable. Keep diminishing returns in mind with vinyl and your room. There is a point where differences become negligible on the price scale. The best digital mastering will beat vinyl, hands down. But, you get addicted to the tactile nature of vinyl. History in your hands. Like a UK white album from 1968. Nothing like it.

csgreene likes this.
  25. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

At the moment, I'm playing my original (1973 Atlantic RL) copy of Houses of the Holy. I was 22 when I bought this brand new at, probably, Tower Records in Hollywood. Considering all it's been through, it's very clean and quiet (I always took care of my records and never had a junk turntable or cartridge). So I've owned *this* record for 46 years and that's why I am still into vinyl.

I still think if someone wants to get into today, they simply need to be prepared for things they didn't have to do with CDs or streaming. My younger son thought he wanted to get into vinyl so I set him up with some spare gear but I think he's over the hipster doofus aspect of it and, like many of his age (20), is realizing streaming is way easier.

nosliw, Noonie and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.