Would Beatles Anthology expanded sell ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Um, no?
    How can Pepper and White Album box sets make the entire Anthology series redundant?

2. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

mostly the third one

3. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

I think it will sell tremendously in a near future, yes.
    Today, not so much.
    It's sad, but we must remember that the demand for Beatle material will actually rise with the passing of the two remaining Beatles. There's a lot of potential in a new Anthology box/expanded set.

4. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Yeah of course. But the devil's in the details. Let's say for discussions sake, hypothetically they ( Apple-Universal-Capitol ) spend on average several million US Dollars preparing one of these releases.

Paying studio time at Abbey Road, paying Giles Martin & Sam O'Kell, the Apple salaried staff, the art department, attorneys, insurance, manufacturing, publicity etc etc etc.

The Beatles don't usually want or feel satisfied, or pay the costs of Apple, with a little release that sells 80,000 copies.

They need a million copies just to break even on the costs, hypothetically for discussion.

So just throwing hypothetical numbers, they need a million units to break even, or turn a very modest profit, maybe at $1.5-2.0 million units, they do Ok, & 2.5 million & above they did good or great another winner.

So yeah anything With the name Beatles is gonna sell, but they've got real costs & need big numbers. There's a lot of salaried & freelance people, staff,

They're planning for multi million sellers, in a very down music market, for years now. They seem to make a mint, so I'm not worried about the Beatles or Apple staff.

Remember when non music person former EMI chairman Guy Hands was at the helm. After nearly a century, EMI went bankrupt, lost the label, the publishing, everything, swallowed up by Universal.

Capitol is still a functioning subsidiary in the USA owned by Universal, because EMI no longer exists, hundreds, maybe thousands lost their jobs.

It's not play money, I assume the staff at Apple is under a lot of routine pressure to have successful releases.

I know nothing, I'm just talking, but the record business is in a decade long decline, it's a competitive business, it's a capitalist venture & I assume they're under pressure to get hit albums !!!

5. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I grew up in the sixties and seventies and immersed myself in The Beatles. So don’t get me wrong but I feel like they will continue releasing material well past the time that it sells. Apparently we haven’t reached that zenith yet and it doesn’t appear to be on the horizon.

One thing capitalism is well suited for is wringing out every last dollar of potential from any opportunity. I am not convinced that the younger generation has embraced The Beatles at the level that will support a long run of Anthologies, Outakes, videos and old-new material but as long as people are alive that experienced John, Paul, George and Ringo as the developed, then these releases will sell.

My first exposure to Elvis was his 1970 hit “Kentucky Rain”. It took me 48 years to buy two of his albums in a garage sale for a few pennies. But in the meantime several hundred releases hit the market before and after his death.

I know some people think comparing Elvis to The Beatles is apples to oranges. Maybe but a look at the Elvis discography shows that the music industry will find a way to justify releasing studio outakes, rehearsals, home recordings, books with CDs , soundboard concerts, compilations, movie soundtracks......until the last penny bounces off the bottom of an empty Mason jar in some record company office somewhere.

So yeah. It will sell.

6. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

YES

I want the box set to end all box sets. I want something so big that Amazon has to send it in separate shipments. So big that while I'm enjoying it, my wife and kids leave me and I don't even notice. :laugh:

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  7. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

(Hypothetically), no. Nor will "Now And Then" appear on a McCartney or Starr solo album.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

When Yoko passes and they can show what they really said - like hotcakes

9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

They’re in the process of making it redundant I mean.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Except of course there would be no tour to account for over 50% of the 'sales' tied into a ticket bundle.
    That is unless Paul and Ringo reform The Beatles and tour to promote the album and bundle in the CD with tickets. That way the CD would sell even to those who would never even play it.

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

You just have to mention the word Beatles, and people are getting their wallets ready...............:doh:

After all, it's the bloody Beatles!

12. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I think it would in a limited run like the mono releases for fans like us on here.

I would also by the Anthology series on Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

13. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

The original Anthology (VHS) was released in 1996, over 20 years ago. The DVDs were released in 2003, 15 years ago. So, it's due for a re-release, as well as an overhaul.

I would buy it again, especially if addition things are added.

DK Pete likes this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

They should just do a single release of these coveted/legendary tracks (Helter Skelter, Sour Milk Sea, Carnival of Light, etc.). It's made clear, upfront, that this is a warts and all release. No empty promises of greatness, we just finally get to hear these tracks. They can call it Beatles:Rough Cuts or some such thing.

15. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

If they make expanded versions of all the studio albums then I doubt there will be enough of any worth to expand Anthology or compile another collection of unreleased material.

The Beatles recorded basic rhythm tracks with no vocals & then overdubbed on top, so what full versions of songs exist without making more Frankenstein weld-jobs?

Also, the only reason Carnival of Light is notorious is because no one has heard it. It’s not a long-lost Lennon/Mccartney Classic, it’s some random sounds collaged together to be played in the background at an event.

As for the 27 minute Helter Skelter: just ‘cos it’s long, doesn’t mean it’s good in fact, I’d say it’s likely the opposite. The acoustic version on Anthology 3 is a bore; just imagine that for almost half an hour. Tedious. No wonder it’s not been released.

Botching together a version of Sour Milk Sea that never really existed? Come on! We’re clutching at straws now.

I’d be happy with deluxe editions of their catalogue & then I can’t really see there being much else worth releasing.

I know we all love The Beatles but we can’t magic more songs or recordings out of thin air. They had an extremely productive 7 years & left us so much to enjoy. At some point we just need to accept that that’s all there is & be thankful they gave us what they did.

16. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Incredible how many microscopic and obscure Beatles topics the fanboys eventually can come up with. It seems it will never stop...

TimeWarper and aina like this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Incredible how many critics appear and complain when “obscure Beatles topics” come up. It seems they will never stop...

:laugh:

18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Big Beatles fan here. But it seems certain persons has nothing else to do, than to sit in their own little box and think up new Beatles topics. Oh well.

lightbulb likes this.
  19. lightbulb

Great idea!
    Let’s see...

Beatles Anthology I” was released on Nov 1995.
    The 50th Anniversary Edition will be released on Nov 2045.

It will sell 371 copies.

Best News:
    It will be released as CCC.
    (In the Cerebral Cortex Centralization format.)
    :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    kiff likes this.
  20. lightbulb

Understood.

However, it that is indeed the case, then in the context of this forum, if it “floats their boat”, it’s no crime. There’s no harm.

Ironically, your post kept this thread “active”.

How about this:
    You are welcome to create 10 other non-Beatle related threads, that will “push” this off the first page of the forum.
    Whichever threads draws the most interest of the members, will remain.

21. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

An expanded Anthology ...

I remember the old days when one had to buy Rarities and reissued 45s to find some unreleased stuff.

johnny moondog 909 and lightbulb like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I bought them all on triple vinyl back in 1996. Have played them less than five times each, some stuff only once, in 22 years. So for me it's a no. I don't think I'm anywhere near the only one.

23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nah, Nah, Nah...

25. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

If the original Anthology documentary were changed a bit, with some new interviews added, more content overall and it became, say a two season Netflix docu-series. The first 5 or 6 episodes recounted early life through Candlestick, and the next 5 or 6 episodes covered Revolver through the first solo album by each Beatle - there would be a demand for deluxe edition Anthology record release.

Some things which have surfaced/been created since the mid-90s:

Extra Love Mixed (Girl, Twist and Shout, etc, some have been released iTunes only)
    Strings only mix of While My Guitar Gentle Weeps
    Rock Band mixes
    FAAB and Real Love (unique mixes found on 1+)
    Demo of A World Without Love
    Demo of I'm in Love
    Now and Then (?)
    Fly on the Wall
    Threetles jam of Blue Moon of Kentucky and Ukulele Garden jam
    Single mix of Christmastime is Here Aain
    Single B-side mix of Yellow Submarine (released as a B-side to an Anthology single)

My point is, since Anthology, The Beatles have created many many more rarities - it would be no effort to collect them, and since they were mostly found or created after 1970, they could fit on an Anthology 4 and still maintain the conceit that these things are in chronological order. Though, I suppose it would be best if the whole set was re-sequenced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.