Would Beatles Anthology expanded sell ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I don't think it would sell too much. At the time of release, in the mid 1990s, there was still hunger for fresh Beatles material. They had consistently refused to open the Apple vaults and all that was available was the bootlegs, which only appeal to hardcore fans.

The Anthology sets were brilliantly marketed into a whole package with the TV documentary and the new singles.

I don't think it would be possible to replicate that. It's a trick that only works once. And not too many people are actually interested in buying yet another alternate take of Mr Kite or Sexy Sadie.

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I have no doubt that it could not compete with the staggering success of the Anthologies, but I do think that the more hardcore fans would splash out for a boxset that contained some of the unreleased material discussed above, in the same way that the McCartney reissues have enough of a market to make them worth wile releases.

3. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

Some good points Rojo.

But it was more than that. The surviving 3 Beatles with Yoko's blessing, were doing new tracks ! Written by John with him singing..! And as you said the tv ( & later ) dvd set to go with the albums !!!!.. we actually watched them hanging together talking, and jamming on oldies ! PLUS the 2 ( or 3-4 ) new songs ! The Beatles return..

Broadcast on ABC network in the USA, & this is prior to the deluge of todays 50-100 tv networks... ABC temporarily promoted the network as A Beatle C !!! On the morning news/talk ABC ran constant Beatles ads & showed a clip of The Threetles doing Blue Moon Of Kentucky..all the ( then ) many record stores opened at midnight when Anthology 1 went on sale !!! On the first 2 nights of the tv documentary...they played Free As A Bird to close part 1 & Real Love to close part 2 !! The following night.

Sadly imo George Harrison suddenly pulled the plug on more new recordings....& to this day at least 1 new song ( perhaps 2 or 3 ) remain unreleased..including 1 written George & Paul..to this day only snippets of the Threetles live recordings has been heard.

So yeah no possibility of recreating that kind of hype & excitement..now. Putting marketing aside though, many of us would like to hear what's left. At least the decent ones.

As far as people misunderstanding Anthology showcased mostly inferior versions of their great songs....some did..some younger fans thought it was great, preferring the so called inferior more raw takes !! I think mostly it was the new songs, new Beatles songs !! But Anthology 3 unexpectedly didin't have one !! It should've. .in fact i'll buy the argument that an entire new album, without Lennon might've been a bridge too far. However the 3 volumes imo, should've had a total of 4-5 new tracks among the 3 volumes.....4 or 5 including at least 1 or 2 written-sung by the others...big stupid mistake not to. I'm still hoping-but doubtful they'll correct it with a revamped expanded set.

4. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I agree. My point was simply that the Anthologies were sold to a wider audience, which is unusual for this kind of arhival release.

theMess likes this.
  5. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I’d rather have the existing Anthology release and all other official Beatles material in SACD format. It’s about time. THAT would sell like hot cakes.

6. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Yes. I didn't mean to downplay the excitement surrounding the whole thing back then.

I was just trying to be brief, not sarcastic.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  7. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's too big of a seller and too big a part of the Beatles canon and legacy now, that it has to be reissued with some marketing behind it in the process. Maybe a rethink of the Anthology documentary, re-edited/formatted for the upcoming Disney+ streaming service (Disney owns ABC, and all the original Anthology broadcast and promo was on ABC).

BEATLES COME TO VIDEO STREAMING. That's good marketing. Might as well have a nice box set of the music ready for when that happens. And if the new version of the documentary debuts "Now and Then"? The final Beatles recordings? Uh, that would be big news, be financially rewarding for Apple, and watched by lots of people.

And it's hard to fathom Apple re-releasing Anthology without adding at least some bonus tracks. I guess its possible but not likely.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Any idea if Apple or McCartney bought this one at the auction? It would fit on an Anthology

theMess likes this.
  9. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

They could, but box sets would make more money I assume.

theMess likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Exactly! Then you have the demo for 'World Without Love', and potentially many other demos, such as those for the other songs given to Peter and Gordon, as well as the demos that were given to Dick James through the years, some of which must surely still exist?

Orson Swells likes this.
  11. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

There are some Decca demo's left to release as well

theMess likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

a beatles book of mother goose stories would sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.