Would Critics View KISS More Favorably If 'Phantom' Were A Blockbuster Hit Film?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park is a total classic. I don't know what you all are on about.

2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

That was one corny movie. Approach: don’t do a movie.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yes, see edit.

4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Thank You

5. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I hear Criterion is releasing a 2 disc blu-ray of it

hi_watt, serch_777, Pinknik and 3 others like this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

seed_drill likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

I've ranked them above the Beatles since the mid 70s.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

At the end of the day Kiss is just a band that many will take any opportunity to bag.

I don't think the movie made any difference to anything.
    Folks say I was Made For Loving You was awful, but it was their biggest worldwide hit and still gets played.
    People say the Elder is a bad album, but it is among my favourite Kiss albums.

People say a lot of stuff. So I often don't listen.

In the infamous Opinions About Kiss, is was very clear that most folks that hate them had rarely listened to anything they ever did, and made most of their assumptions based on the make-up and stage presentation. So it really ends up becoming redundant.
    Certainly nobody needs to like the band, but they weren't doing anything particularly musically dissimilar to most of the rock bands of the seventies, but they got a lot of fame and fortune, and many resent them for that.
    If Kiss had made 6 albums and were relatively unknown, many that carry on about how awful they were would be singing their praises about how tragic it is they are less known.
    That just seems to be human nature.

hi_watt, serch_777, CoachD and 6 others like this.
  9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

That's what appears on KISSOLOGY 2

hi_watt and 905 like this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Would've been far better served with a kick ass concert movie event followed by an unmasking event to reveal the band as promo for their upcoming solo records, that's my two cents. The Phantom movie was a joke.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No one says that you - or anyone else - can't think Kiss is better than the Beatles.

It's the notion that Eric Carr's presence as drummer from Day One instead of Peter Criss would've elevated Kiss above all others as the most beloved band of all-time that's jaw-dropping!

ARK, Comet01 and Cool hand luke like this.
  12. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

It's so bad it's good. A real relic of it's time, when cheese was grated.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.

13. maybe it’s that they haven’t handled their fame well
    They come off as very very very mercenary
    And all the public infighting is embarrassing
    Then the misogyny
    For a bAnd that hid their identity for years they have no mystique
    they come off as odious, all by their own doing

14. mark winstanley

Very few handle Fame well.
    Misogyny? that is just about every Male rock band that ever existed.
    Public infighting. Floyd one of the greatest and most revered bands going .... plenty of infighting.

I certainly don't disagree with the things your saying there ... but the fact of the matter is, that most rock bands of the sixties and seventies have infighting, most of them were groupie whores with misogynist lyrics.... the only difference to most bands of the era is the mystique via hidden identity ... so really it just backs up the point I was making. Folks will look for any reason to bag Kiss.

For example -
    I love the Stones, but Keith and Mick have been fighting since the seventies with the odd truce here and there to sell an album, or sell out a tour. Misogyny was the Stones forte.
    Aerosmith - Love them as well. but plenty of infighting and break ups, plenty of misogyny... Tyler is apparently a sex addict ... I guess that's what was wrong with me when I was a young man lol
    Floyd - plenty of infighting, members being fired, reinstated, media moaning and complaining ... I am not sure they have the same misogyny issues as most hard rock bands do though .... and they are probably my favourite band

realistically I could keep going and going, but I think it is pretty obvious that if the problem for people was the things you listed, then no rock bands should have any fans lol

ARK and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  15. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

Kiss was a joke to start with.

16. Hey, it worked for the Beatles! :)

17. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

A focus on sex doesn't equate to misogyny. You don't lust after what you dislike.

19. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

I agree with the first part.

But lusting after women doesn't negate misogyny. Eg. a guy can have an attitude that women are lesser people who are only worthwhile for sex and maybe also doing housework. He enjoys sex but he's also a misogynist. I don't see any of that in KISS lyrics though.

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

And the great one... Even a brilliant one. It's too bad you don't get it.

YardByrd likes this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The Last Jedi, on the other hand . . .:hide:

22. mark winstanley

There's going to be a lot of those unsubstantiated trash comments ... it just seems to go with Kiss threads

23. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

KISS were already huge before they decided to make that movie. And really, only KISS fans (and maybe some late-70s TV enthusiasts or Hanna-Barbara fanatics) remember it.

I like it for what it is, honestly. It’s so bad, it’s good. Ace thinks it’s hysterical.

But it was a serious misstep for them; they got a little too big for their britches by then. Someone really should have told them that it wasn’t 1964 and they weren’t The Beatles. Funnily enough, they turned down an offer to be the villain band in the “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” movie that year, because they thought that was beneath them.

Anyhow, “KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park” shouldn’t have been made. The concert at Magic Mountain was a cool concept, though. They should have made a concert film there instead, IMO.

24. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

This topic is already a classic.

25. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Contrary to what some people think, I don’t find Gene to be a misogynist at all. He even said for years that he didn’t want Shannon to be “his wife”, as if she were his property. She was just “Shannon” for him.

He was, perhaps, a sex addict (the “urge to merge”). Seems like he’s been broken of that since he became a married man.

RosesFromYesterday and mbd40 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.