Would I benefit from an external phono preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Katz, Jul 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Around 8 or 9 years ago I bought an Edwards Audio MC1 phono stage, configured for MM cartridges, to use instead of the phono stage in my NAD 1000 preamp. The MC1 was so much better, including pace, rhythm and emotion.

That, however, was used with a Thorens TD166 turntable with a Rega RB250 arm and Goldring 1042 cartridge, i.e. a step or two above your current set-up.

In your budget, I'd consider the Edwards Audio Apprentice Mk 3 (if you can buy it and audition it first) as a step-up from what you already have, but everything really depends upon what your longer term ambitions and expectations are.

If you anticipate eventually upgrading all of the components of your system then, in terms of a phono stage, buy the best that you can afford and then keep it while you upgrade everything else.

(I bought my Thorens turntable 27 years ago and I bought my first G1042 cartridge probably 20 years ago. I have changed my amplifiers and speakers several times since then, but I still have the Thorens turntable and my second G1042.

If I had the money then I might upgrade my turntable now, but not my cartridge. The turntable is still excellent to my ears, however.

I bought my Rega Saturn CD player 12 years ago and I have changed my amplifiers and speakers several times since. I still have the Saturn, however.)

The question is "How do I tell which is the best phono stage?"

To answer this, however, perhaps you need to upgrade your speakers first. If your speakers aren't very good then it might be difficult to hear the true differences between phono stages.

Better speakers will tell you more about what is good and what is bad about the rest of your system. So, perhaps, change the speakers before considering anything else.

2. Cedricvdh

Cedricvdh Well-Known Member

If I were you I would start by upgrading the cartridge.
    If you look at Ortofon's cartridge selector on their website, you will see that you can upgrade it to even the MC Quintet Bronze. That cart is more expensive than your Sony, so if a cartridge manufacturer says you can put a cart in that price range on it, I see no problem in pairing it up with an expensive phono preamp.

This turntable is midrange entry level, so you are right in your earlier posts on how it compares to for instance a Debut Carbon. Check the Debut Carbon on Ortofon's website, the 2M Blue is listed as the best compatible cart.

If you would go with this cartridge, it will be necessary to get a better performing preamp anyway.

So you could upgrade your cartridge first, and then, upgrade the phono preamp to work well with this better performing cart.

If you upgrade your turntable, you will need to spend at least 1800 dollars to notice a drastic and worthwile improvement. Getting something at around 1100 dollars like a Technics a SL1500C will provide an improvement, but you will be disappointed at how small it is after parting with another 1100 dollars.

The wow and flutter of this table isn't ideal but anything below 0.2 shouldn't be audible to the average listener.

The cartridge determines most of the sound provided you have a decent enough tonearm. Your turntable is good enough, the proof is on the Ortofon website.

Heckto35 likes this.
  3. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

I'm guessing even an entry level stand alone will be superior to what was included in your turntable.

Heckto35 likes this.
  4. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

The $499 MoFi UltraPhono is excellent! It betters the stage in my A-S501 amplifier. It makes everything clearer and higher quality sounding.

5. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

You can get a whole lot better by buying an external phono stage. With your budget I would get an used Arcam Rphono (new around 500 Euro). This thing sounds great and does offer many settings. I had to spend quite some money to top the Arcam Rphono.

I do agree that your turntable is really not all that good.......but if it works well and you are happy with it, I'd first buy a nice phono stage that is good enough to grow with your hobby. (I had the Arcam Rphono hooked up to a turntable / cart costing over 3000 Euro and it performed great)

One word of warning that I'd like to give you as a cured audiofool; don't let those hardcore audiophiles and reviewers push you to spend money on so called raving products or let them believe your gear is crap. If your ears tell you something is good, be happy with it!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Heckto35 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.