Would Kurt Cobain have liked Oasis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cyril sneer, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Except Morning Glory was their second LP and they had already gone into interstellar overdrive hype with them before that. Funny, I always recall Stones Roses first album was 5\10, but it was a long time ago. Anyway its still a 10/10 for me....

2. panicbeach

panicbeach Well-Known Member

no desire to read the whole thread but the correct answer is.... probably not. They would have been considered a bit bland for his tastes.

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Ah thank you !
    I thought I was alone in the universe ! :)

As for this topic discussion, I don't hear anything remotely rebelous or indie or groundbreaking in Oasis' music, so I don't think Kurt would have been impressed.
    I'm not sure what "corporate rock" means, but they were making easy-listening radio friendly rock from the beginning: their first single was "Supersonic", which is inoffensive and predictable, like most of their output (I'm not saying that's a bad thing ;) ). They were no Pixies nor Sonic Youth.

"Wonderwall" is a great song, though, a coup-de-maître. ;)

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I know you will try to distort this, but the above is categorically untrue. While Smells Like Teen Spirit was obviously their biggest hit, Come As You Are, Lithium, All Apologies and Heart-Shaped Box were all successful hits as well, and Bloom was also a minor hit.

I am with you in spirit, that Nirvana's long-term influence is a bit overstated, and I have said for years that the myth that they killed hair metal is just that, a myth, but to state incorrect things like the above, merely to prop up Oasis, only hurts your credibility.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

You guys are wasting your time arguing with this clown. His comments are the definition of subjective. Because HE thinks Nirvana only made one good album, therefore, it's a FACT. Because HE thinks they only had one great song, therefore, it's a FACT. etc. All one has to do is check lists of greatest albums of the '90s online or in print, and you'll usually see THREE Nirvana albums (Nevermind, In Utero, Unplugged), and only TWO Oasis ones (Definitely Maybe and What's the Story...).

WilliamWes and Umbari like this.
  6. David Whelan

David Whelan Forum Resident

7. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i think nirvana and oasis were influenced by hüsker dü... so not really two different streams imho

8. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

Nirvana pushed boundaries with abrasive rock music both before and after they signed to a major label ("Paper Cuts", "Scentless Apprentice"), and their work transcended the hearts of a generation of dejected, alienated youths. Kurt Cobain brought out an excellence in minimalism, was a lyricist of the upmost sophistication.

9. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

What you're describing is a marketing sensation, which Nirvana were. Overnight, flannel, ripped jeans, dirty sneaker, unkempt hair, it all became the thing.

Musically, they were just a louder and moodier version of Def Leppard who also wrote songs with sophisticated lyrics and guitars. Nirvana didn't invent anything new in rock 'n roll except for a fashion style and a video style. For that they get full credit. But as for just the music? Led Zep, Van Halen, ACDC, and a hundred other hard rock bands say hello.

10. Slash-n-burn

Slash-n-burn Forum Resident

That's a gross overgeneralisation at best, and willfully ignorant fiction at worst.

I never argued that Nirvana invented anything stylistically, they had their sound which, yes, was recognisably informed by the works of others such as Pixies, Melvins, the Jesus Lizard -- but the music of Nirvana was completely different to the artists that you listed -- those bands emphasised riffs and grooves, while Nirvana's style was true to power-chords and dynamics, "quiet-loud" being the most obvious.
    One of the closest styles in the rock world to the style of Nirvana is some of Neil Young's louder material ("Cinnamon Girl", "Hey Hey, My My", "Rocking in the Free World") and even still there are distinctions -- the drums and bass of grunge featured a much more domineering role in the music than did those of the lion's share of previous acts.

Calling Def Lep's lyrics sophisticated strikes me as something of a stretch, when they were mostly about the usual hard-rock cliches of drugs, alcohol, sex, and rock-n-roll. Nirvana certainly dabbled in these topics, drugs especially and notably during their early years, but Kurt wrote about his pain and alienation, a form of depth that was by no means unknown in rock (see Joy Division, Tears for Fears) but often lacking from the 80s rock scene.

Listen to a song like "Paper Cuts" vs Def Lep's "Wasted" (one of their loudest songs), one is straight-up sludge-noise, some of the murkiest rock to come out of Seattle, based around a slowly, chugging guitar melody, with screamed chorus underpinned by descending power-chords -- meanwhile, the other is quintessential early 80s NWOBHM, with fast-paced riffing and a generic hard-rock chorus.

If you really think songs like "Scentless Apprentice", "Paper Cuts", "Negative Creep" or "Milk It" are just louder and moodier versions of Def Lep, you are just trolling.

DTK likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Schnitzel-Philip is indeed a troll, possibly/hopefully for him a paid one. Always been.

Slash-n-burn likes this.
  12. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Friendly reminder not to reply to trolls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.