Would Kurt Cobain have liked Oasis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cyril sneer, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

He left 3 voicemails for Stipe actually, before he passed.

WildHoneyPie9 likes this.
  2. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

Everyone knows that Cobain let Michael Stipe think they were going to do a project together (Not a swipe at Stipe -- REM is easily the better band -- but he seemed to have made a lot out of Kurt Cobain's mumbled assent between drug binges.) I'm just wondering if he expressed appreciation for any specific music of theirs and in what context. By his early 20s Cobain seemed too preoccupied by his perception of socio-political ramifications in pop music to get much enjoyment from it -- look at the acidic negativity he spewed about Pearl Jam.

3. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Yes! Cobain recognised R.E.M. as a major influence on Nirvana. He listed R.E.M.’s 1988 album Green in his “top 50 albums of all time” list in 1992.
    In talks about the direction of Nirvana’s music post-In Utero, Cobain stated that the next Nirvana studio album (which as we know, sadly, never came to be) would be “pretty ethereal, acoustic, like R.E.M.”
    Cobain named R.E.M. an influence on the Bleach track “About A Girl”.

Cobain hired R.E.M. producer Scott Litt to make minor changes to the sound of In Utero, and make remixes of the singles “Heart-Shaped Box” and “All Apologies”.
    Speaking of the production of IU, actually, Steve Albini was initially hesitant to work with Nirvana because he thought that they were derivative of R.E.M. Once, Albini slammed their music (Nevermind, at least) as “just R.E.M. with distortion pedals”.
    I suppose Albini never heard “Negative Creep:rolleyes:

There is a longstanding rumour, which can neither be confirmed nor denied, that Cobain was listening to R.E.M.’s 1992 album Automatic For The People when he committed suicide.
    Before he died, Kurt had plans to work with Michael Stype. Stype tried to save Cobain’s life, and I think paid tribute to Kurt in a song on R.E.M.’s 1994 album Monster

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I mentioned this earlier in the thread; Kurt answered the question by singing some of 'There's No Other Way'. Damon or Graham later admitted that 'Nevermind' was brilliant, but that the Grunge scene was their enemy and they wanted it gone from the charts.

cyril sneer and Osthagen like this.
  5. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Well said, and the tribute song you refer to is 'Let Me In'.

Osthagen and WildHoneyPie9 like this.
  6. pez

pez Forum Resident

That’s still a true story

boiledbeans likes this.
  7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Source?

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The admiration ran one-way, at least. Kurt didn't live long enough to have much say.

Grunge - 1991-1994 (mainstream Nirvana era, at least) - Kurt Checks out - Brit-Pop goes international 1993-?

Oasis kind of took the torch of the Beatles-inspired Rock from Nirvana, and Oasis, ironically, actually has the more upbeat and positive message. And ironically or not, the overall BritPop scene itself eventually dissipated into widespread heroin use by mid-to-late 90s, not counting Oasis.

boiledbeans likes this.
  9. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's not go crazy.
    The final four Oasis albums were littered with Beatles type songs in my opinion.

Crimson jon likes this.
  10. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah but noel normally goes with whatever way the wind is blowing when it comes to opinion.

Osthagen likes this.
  11. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

hmm...then he should've done a better job rebelling against his Mrs. :shh:

some of you guys are treating Oasis as they're Bon Jovi or somethin'... despite their limitation, they were breath of fresh air when they emerged in the mid-90's.
    after years of endless gloom & doom of grunge (worst of all, corporate grunge ~), Oasis provided ray of sunshine & bravado that was solely lacking in rock at the time (& since :cry:).
    i could see how some of their antics could be a big turn-off to some but...there's no need to discredit them for what they've actually done musically (& culturally).

i like both Kurt & Noel, there's no reason to think Kurt would've dissed him as they stood for lot of the similar value (contrary to popular belief in this forum ~).
    although... it would've been priceless to have seen the media feud between Gallagher Bros. vs Mr. & Mrs. Cobain if Kurt lived a little longer :winkgrin:

clarkydaz and Matisse like this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Don’t really think we’re really capable of knowing that answer. Although I know Noel didn’t dig Kurt’s sad stuff

13. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Except that almost every song on the 1st album liam is copying the singing style of Lennon on Rain. So there is that! He sounds like Lennon if Lennon was stopped up with a cold and wore track suits.

14. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Would Kurt Cobain have liked Oasis?
    I don't know. Depends which flavour. The 'Summer Fruits' is rather nice but he might've preferred 'Citrus Punch'. Hard to tell really...
    Oh, wait a minute...

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

When you really think about it, Nirvana and Oasis were two of the last great Rock bands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were 2 of the last MAJOR "Rock" albums released (1991 and 1995)
    Everyone at one time seemed to love these albums and they were huge!

You'll never see that again.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  16. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Would Amy Winehouse have liked Portugal, The Man?

17. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Would Metallica have liked Oasis?

The answer is yes.

18. 905

905 Senior Member

Maybe Kurt would have dug
    the Oasis song Married with Children. Plus that they had a poster of Burt Bacharach on their debut album cover.

19. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

There is a massive hole in Noel Gallagher’s story about writing “Live Forever” as a counterstatement to Nirvana’s “I Hate Myself And Want To Die”.

The story goes, according to an interview with Gallagher from 2006 (IIRC), that Noel spent some of the little money he had at the time on Nirvana’s 1993 album In Utero. He says that “there was one track on there” that made his blood boil. However, “IHMAWD” was not released on In Utero or any Nirvana studio album. It appeared only on the MTV Beavis & Butthead compilation album and as a B-side on the “Pennyroyal Tea” single, the release of which was actually cancelled due to the death of Kurt Cobain.

Crimson jon and Deacon Blues like this.
  20. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Mellon collie was just as massive as morning glory. In America SP picked up the torch and for about 2 years were the it band.

Osthagen and johnny 99 like this.
  21. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Ha, unless it comes to either "Pet Sounds" or "Exile on Main Street", both of which are in his "I don't get it" pile.

cyril sneer likes this.
  22. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

+1

Oasis was 10x the band that Nirvana was. Noel significantly more talented than Cobain as a songwriter.

DHamilton likes this.
  23. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Looks like forum is running out of themes.. What would Brahms think about Motley Crue? We will never know...

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I don’t get these threads sometimes - how come so many people say ‘who cares’ (or this has ‘already been done’). Why are you even looking let alone posting! Very bizarre.

I don’t think Kurt Cobain would have liked them at all - chalk and cheese.

cyril sneer, theMess and Deacon Blues like this.
  25. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

:wtf::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Oh, really? I'm sorry did Oasis single-handedly change literally every aspect of music and its business? That has to be a joke, right? Excuse me, must've went over my head.

Noel Gallagher is a great musician, don't get me wrong, but you cannot compare the two.

Cobain was a genius. Gallagher thinks he's one. Humility vs. Arrogance.

pez and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.