Would this Beatles tv show work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Price.pittsburgh, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elek.-maxe

Elek.-maxe Forum Resident

Nearly breakup! ... but then came Live Aid, which rescued the band!
    Maybe the series will end there, as it was too sad, when Billy Shears got HIV and died some after that.

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

We've heard the Beatles story 1000 times.

ARK likes this.
  3. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

The Paul character is annoying me already! :)

ARK, Bern and ShockControl like this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's it, I'm sending a script to Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO & Crave.... :)

5. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Ok, I’m like 2 minutes into Birth of the Beatles. First off, why couldn’t they have gotten them accurate guitars? They have Paul playing a Strat in Hamburg. Also, they talked about their parents not being happy that they’re playing music. I don’t think George’s parents minded.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  6. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I tend to agree, but there are still numerous landmines that would be struck.

I cannot see them avoiding #s 4 and 6.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  7. mercuryvenus

I couldn’t edit that one anymore, so I’m adding more here. They have George doing Don’t Bother Me in Hamburg? Did they do ANY research as to what songs they played there?

I don’t know guys — this movie isn’t doing much for me.

8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Can they possibly find an actor that annoying? :biglaugh:

ARK and lordcat like this.
  9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's from 1979 and it's very inaccurate at times. It's a little made for network tv movie to just capture the spirit of the band which I think these guys do well. I could never stand them having McCartney say he does most the songwriting early in the film. That was clearly influenced by the times where Paul was a very successful solo artist at that point and leading up to the film and John had been retired for several years and his solo work prior wasn't as successful as Paul's.
    Them opening Ed Sullivan with I Want To Hold Your Hand and wearing British style suits on Sullivan instead of American are some others. But still it's a decent film for what it is, at least as far as the actors go IMO

10. mercuryvenus

Yeah I noticed that too with Paul. And him saying he should be the leader? I don’t see that happening at all.

They do a decent job capturing the spirit, that’s true.

One thing I also don’t get is why no movie gets the “toppermost of the poppermost” thing right. Clearly they know there’s some sort of exchange they used to do, but they just do it wrong.

11. I’m waiting for the Velvet Underground sitcom, myself.

ARK, eddiel, adm62 and 2 others like this.
  12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

That is precisely the kind of thing I can imagine Paul saying. At least they got that part right. :righton:

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What a great compilation that was . I have 'Not Fade Away ' which is even more complete but I don't think it has the same mojo and magic that that old box had.

majorlance likes this.
  14. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

Is the over 60 demographic a big one for network tv? Sponsored by Depends, Geritol, and AARP :p

majorlance likes this.
  15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I resemble that remark!!! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk... :magoo:

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

What if they got the group that did Arrested Development (AD) to do a series about The Beatles, doing it in the style of AD.

Wasn't the second one already done with The Monkees?

I think a better option would be to do a CGI-animated series (CGI of the quality used in Star Wars - The Clone Wars). It would allow the character to look and move right, to make it stylized to suit The Beatles, and for them (and everyone) to be the right age throughout the series.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. mercuryvenus

My sense is John and Paul were pretty clear about having a songwriting partnership.

18. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m into the Arrested Development-style series idea!

As for whether the sit-com I am suggesting was already done with the Monkees, no, that’s not exactly what I have in mind.

Imagine something more like All in the Family or Everybody Loves Raymond, but it’s John, Paul, George, and Ringo living in the house. George Martin and Brian Epstein could be the parents who live across the street and are frequently over.

19. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Maybe you can send in your headshot.

20. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

Someone needs to buy the TV rights to Lewisohn's Tune In and start there. Mark gets $$$ so he can focus on writing and by the time he's done with Volume 2. in 10 years or so, Netflix/BBC will have gone through pre-production, production, post-production, airing and we'll all be picking it apart. Then they start all over with Volume 2 and M.L. will have the dough to work on volume 3. Done and done. :agree:

21. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

I don't think there's anything fresh they could tell us without taking liberties.
    I would much rather see the story told in a more visual, avant garde way. A movie too please, I can't sit through 100 one hour episodes of anything, even my favourite band.

Something like this but 90 minutes.

Big Blue and mercuryvenus like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

How very English of you!

You guys make a TV program that is two 6-episode series and a Christmas special, we adapt it to 201 episodes over 9 seasons... :laugh:

Helter Skelter and mercuryvenus like this.
  23. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yes. I've been watching the series recently -- completely expected *something. But not even a reference to the Beatles? What's the deal? The show seems to have gone out of its way to avoid referring to Beatlemania even.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Queen Elizabeth doesn’t strike me as much of a rock’n’roll person...

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've personally thought a show about Brian Epstein that starts before the Beatles would be a good drama. At some point the Fabs could creep in but it's really not about them.

edenofflowers and Lewisboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.