Would you bother with a CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hab, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I would (and have) gone through the secondhand market, via a dealer with a decent warranty. Brilliant value now that the bottom has dropped out of the CDP market.

Mr D likes this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Keep buying CDs to rip. It's inexpensive, it's high quality, and it's permanent.

MGW, siebrand and nosliw like this.
  3. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've always gotten by with old CD players that I got dirt cheap or free at yard sales. I have a few of the Sony 5 disc carousels,a Denon,and an old Pioneer PD-M530 with the 6 pack disc cart. They all work but I have no idea outside of a straight CD if they have other playback abilities,or, if they're considered of good quality.

I haven't searched but I wonder if there's a thread or list of really good CD (or multi-format) players that were considered high end in their day that are a screamin' bargain now.

Mr D and c-eling like this.
  4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Actually, probably not. Ripping (for personal use, for playback on another device) is lawful, and selling a CD you've purchased is lawful. Perhaps if you're ripping solely for the purpose of selling than the rip is unlawful. But if you're ripping in order to use a DAC, and at some point later you want to make some space and you sell or donate or otherwise get rid of the CDs, you haven't done anything wrong.

5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

When I put together my current system about three years ago I bought a CD player, a low end Cambridge. It gets limited usage even though I have a fair number of CDs. I play it when there is music I do not have and so far have not found on a record, like the Seiji Ozawa/Kiri Te Kanawa recording of Mahler's fourth, or music that I could find on records but just don't want to waste the money, like Bobby Darin's Greatest Hits. I just find listening to vinyl records much more gratifying. If I am feeling truly lazy, too tired to get up and turn records, I revert to listening to our local classical station on FM on my little Pro-ject tuner box, like the dinosaurs did. My system is about as simple and basic as any, and I have no interest in adding anything linking it to the computer or to a streaming service.

Fender Relic likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Legally, as I understand it, you are supposed to delete the copy if you sell the original. What you bought is a CD of content, and if you sell the CD, you are selling the content of the CD. If you do not want to part with the content of the CD, then you should not sell the CD. I doubt that would ever be detected or enforced, legally, but the injury to the rights holders is the same whether someone makes and sells a copy or makes a copy and later sells the original.

MGW likes this.
  7. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Sure it's that way.
    It is illegal to buy music, upload it to some HD, or make a copy of, it for THEN SELL THE ORIGINALS.

8. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Sure it's that way.
    It is illegal to buy music, upload it to some HD, or make a copy of, it for THEN SELL THE ORIGINALS.

9. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

Just remember what happened to vinyl now turntables are back in vogue, why not have a great CD player to keep for the hifi future, whatever that may be! Also it could become a classic.....

10. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I think I understand where this comes from, and it's certainly a plausible and legitimate moral position, but there really isn't anything in the law that compels the conclusion. The most important proposition to begin with in addressing the question is that sale of the CD always will be legal -- it is a right explicitly granted to the owner of a physical copy in the statute, a right which the Supreme Court recently has upheld (albeit in a different context, having to do with publisher's markets, but the logic is compelling and applicable all the same). Moreover, there is nothing in the statute that says the first-sale right is conditioned upon some other action (for example, getting rid of all other copies of the work in the seller's custody). So the only question is whether the rip is lawful or not. Ripping is not a right with an explicit foundation in statutory law, so it's not as solid, so to speak, but it rests on a fairly well established foundation, specifically, the same principle that permits you to record broadcast television to watch later. Arguably the legitimacy of your purpose in ripping CDs is defeated if you are ripping a CD in order to sell it, though there isn't any case law that actually has established that limitation; it's just something we can plausibly infer. But it would be very odd indeed for the law to reach back in time and retroactively make a rip illegal because the ripper lawfully sold the copy (and remember, the sale of a lawfully purchased physical copy is always lawful) sometime down the road. In any event, we'll never see a firm answer to this question -- I think you're right it will never be a practice that gets prosecuted and brought before the courts.

Newton John likes this.
  11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Beats me what the law is in Italy, but the statement you've made is not an accurate representation of U.S. law. Under certain circumstances, maybe the rip is illegal (see above), but the sale of a physical copy that was lawfully purchased is not illegal.

12. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Obviously I cannot say how it is in the USA...:o
    In Italy (in Europe) you are allowed to make copies, but you may NOT have only
    Copies.

I think it' logical, too...

Kyhl and SBurke like this.
  13. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Naim

14. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I don't disagree. I think it would be better if we had more clarity here. But probably nothing will change. Given the growth of streaming services though the issue has really receded in importance.

siebrand likes this.
  15. MGW

No, in the UK it is illegal to make copies even for personal use. No real means of enforcement of course.

siebrand likes this.
  16. MGW

No, as has already been stated, earlier and immediately above ... in the UK it is illegal to make copies even for personal use. No real means of enforcement of course.

17. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Oh sorry, didn't know that...

MGW likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Out of habit probably more than anything. I have a SBTouch, so I can easily stream to my main from rips, but it's nice having a player that can handle pre discs and indexing :)
    Just load and go!
    [​IMG]

19. MGW

That's okay, but it does rather illustrate that these statements and discussions about the law do not transcend national boundaries.

20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

CD players look nice and cool in a system.

About the current posts of the legality of keeping rips of CD that you sold being illegal. Yes, I get it (ethics) but who is going to punish/arrest you?

BuckNaked, bever70 and MGW like this.
  21. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. - C.S. Lewis
    Ethics, integrity, morality, whatever you want to call it. They are all similar.

From a Psychology Today article on ethics these are some of the most popular excuses we find for ourselves to justify our intent.
    “I was simply following orders,”
    “Everyone else was doing it,”
    “It’s not illegal, so it’s not wrong,”
    “No one cares about what I do, I’m just one person,”

At the end of the day, making a copy and selling the original while keeping the copy creates multiple copies available to the public. Then note that the artist only received reimbursement for the original.

MGW and Big Blue like this.
  22. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Things are changing, the absence of S/PDIF recorders, other than a few from TASCAM, and today's preponderance of equipment which has HDMI connectivity is making digital recording of any disc, download, or stream very, very difficult. And, streamer services which allow unlimited streaming/downloading make copying less attractive. After all, renting does sometimes have advantages, especially if the music is in pop genre.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Big Blue likes this.
  23. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Well, if such things occur sufficiently the music industry will punish you by not offering any products that depend on sale of media to be profitable.

MGW and Big Blue like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Probably nobody. However, it may not be prudent to proclaim this is what you are doing on a public forum, just in case...

inperson and Tim Irvine like this.
  25. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

Beogram. CD 3500

RhodesSupremacy, bever70 and ukrules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.