Would you bother with a CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hab, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I also use a Node 2 run into an Audio Research DAC 8, love the set-up and unlimited music but my higher end CD player still sounds superior.

Melody50 and Randoms like this.
  2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have three means to CD pleasure: a 20 year old Sony DVP-S9000ES, a new OPPO-205, and a early 90's Sony CDP-601ES CD Changer. Oh, I have 2 laptops with DVD burners, which I use for CD ripping/burning. I cannot discern any divergence in sound from any of these devices operating them to output from their internal DAC's. They also sound the same operating as transports, played to my Pre-Pro. So, the only thing I ponder is do CDs overall sound better than other sources/ music media and perhaps what is more convenient at any moment, CD or other. Since CD is usually not convenient and it does not seem to sound better than more convenient means to the music, my only consideration for CD today is whether it is better to purchase music on CD or download it, either from Apple Music subscription or purchase from HDtracks. Mostly, I'll buy the CD, since it's permanent, not subject to disappearing, crashing, or needing backup. At any rate, my passion today is for multi-channel music media and downloads, so CDs of new music is moot unless I can't get it in multi-channel.

3. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

The cantilever on my MC cart is about the size of a human hair. After a few choice ipa's yes I will "bother with a cd player" rather than risk damage to my preferred playback source:cheers:

4. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

That, Sir, is the best reason yet. I concur.

CDs are relatively robust and (drunken) foolproof.

A listening session and a choice glass of rocket fuel is one of the joys of life IMHO.
    :tiphat:

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How can I let these little guys think that they'll never make it into the house ever again? That would be cruel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident

Well said.
    I tried with PC and DAC, never equaled the CD playback, felt like there was no soul in the music for same track played on PC.

inperson and sberger like this.
  7. Melody50

Melody50 Forum Resident

Wow, that is huge collections

Exotiki likes this.
  8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, people say the same thing comparing CDs to vinyl...

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

This completely subjective opinion describes the way I feel about it as well.

inperson and fjblair like this.
  10. fjblair

fjblair Active Member

Both are generally true in my experience.

11. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Just want to make sure they are all in alphabetical and order of genre for quick access? :shh:

bever70 likes this.
  12. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

i don't have much, -at least compared to many of you guys- but it is two rows deep,
    and, being not even remotely wealthy, living in a backwater nowheresville,
    i consider myself lucky to have been able to build up even this large a collection so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Mostly on the shelves, yes on my hard drive.

14. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Not sure when I'll find the time to compare, but here is the link to ongoing discussions regarding the highly regarded Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport which with your Audiolab DAC makes more sense (to me) than a budget CD player if it brings a sonic upgrade.

15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Would you bother with a CD player?

The only CD players I have are the blu-ray players I own. I have toyed with the idea of getting a nice dedicated player/transport, or even a large carousel CD changer, but then I realize that I would likely never use it.. and that my music server is much more than that.

I like retaining the ability to burn custom discs and doing vinyl transfers to CD-R, even if I only burn 5-6 CD-Rs a year now.

16. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

Just replaced my 20 year old Marantz 6000 OSELE CDP with a like new used Marantz CD6006. Old school I guess, but I'm perfectly happy with vinyl and CD playback and not the least interested in SACD, Bluray, streaming and whatever else there is. Besides with the demise of CD there should be lots of cheap discs available on the used market and that'll do me just fine. :) Just hope the charity shops don't place them on the bottom shelf with my arthritic knees! :shake:

ssmith3046 and Takehaniyasubiko like this.
  17. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Why would you bother with digital downloads?

18. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

My Arcam Alpha 7 CD player had been in storage in my parents attic for at least 15 years. A couple of weeks back I went and collected it and have it set up and working again. My idea is to use it to play classic albums through from start to finish. As my most recent listening has been via lossy files or streaming I'm really enjoying playing discs again.

19. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

I still play CDs through my hi-fi. I have an Onkyo DX-C390 CD changer, and it sounds great when connected via coax digital to my Yamaha A-S701 amplifier.

It's just fun to pick an album and play it from start to finish. Like the vinyl experience, but cheaper, and with less pops & clicks :D

20. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Three best combinations possible: Goodwill + .87 Cent CDs + SA-10= Audio Nirvana (perfect sound forever) :agree:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

c-eling and Retro Music Man like this.
  21. siebrand

siebrand music lover

yes, your CDP is saying he's hungry! feed him, and NOW too! then you sit down and enjoy listening. OK?

22. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I have a few CDs salvaged from university days and started collecting them again in the last couple years, alongside vinyl, new and second hand. I play them through a Yamaha CD-S2100. It’s just really enjoyable rummaging through the shelves at the record store, collecting them and reading the liner notes. They sound great too.

Retro Music Man likes this.
  23. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

The CD-S2100! Lovely big slab of aluminium with wooden sides and mirror finish display.

George Cooke likes this.
  24. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

"Would you bother with a CD player?"

How else would I play my cds?

25. siebrand

siebrand music lover

yes, sure ther are.
    I had this one, it sounded pretty well, and was a big plaesure for the eye, too!
    [​IMG]

in general, I really like those with "top loading"

George Cooke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.