Would you buy a new speaker with no warranty?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Renwick, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/ Thread Starter

Like the title say, would you?

I have narrowed my next pair of speakers down to the Fritz Carbon 7 mk2 and the Buchardt S400 mk2. I believe the Fritz would be the better choice for my system but there doesn’t appear to be a warrant at all on the Fritz. I’m waiting for clarification but that is my understanding.

Honestly, is there much that can for wrong post 30 days with a speaker?

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

No. The Buchardt have a 10 year warranty I think.

macster likes this.
  3. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

He offers to try them for 30 days , money back if not satisfied….

In my experience speakers have been very reliable over the years. A few thing covered under warranty and a few I repaired myself.

I bet it’s 5 years…. I would give him a call , lots of great things said about them.

John3655 likes this.
  4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

5. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Yes, if the source was trustworthy because there's very little to go wrong.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  6. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

No.

Even the most reputable brands have duds.

7. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I'm sure there is a warranty, they have been selling speakers for years.

jusbe, timind and jonwoody like this.
  8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I agree Fritz must offer some sort of warranty just give them a call.

Tim 2 and timind like this.
  9. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I'm sure he'll stand behind them if they go on the "fritz" Have heard nothing but praise for his speakers

timind, rischa and jonwoody like this.
  10. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

It clearly states on the Buchardt website on the product page for the S400 mk2, that the S400 mk2 has a 10 year warrantee. On the homepage for the whole site there is a link for "Warranties and Returns" where they explain in great detail their 30 day money back guarantee policy for their speakers. This assumes you return them in good shape. There is a 100-200 euro return fee depending on the speaker model being returned. It appears there is zero reason for concern.

jusbe likes this.
  11. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm curious if you have listened to both models. But to answer your question, probably not.

Big Blue and Tim 2 like this.
  12. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Maybe... It all depends on the initial cost and overall construction of the example. There is little to go wrong with a good working loudspeaker system.

Tullman likes this.
  13. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

My Forte have a 10 warranty but Klipsch are relatively easy and cheap to fix if out of warranty

I am waiting for my Omega Super Alnico Monitor and they also have a 10 year warranty. 10 years is generous and to me shows a mfg is confident of its quality and reliability

Most speakers are 5 years. If you can’t offer a 5 year warranty on a speaker you should not be in the speaker biz.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Agreed. If they have confidence in the product there selling there should be a warranty.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

The advantage of the Fritz models is that if a driver is blown, you can just order a replacement through Madisound or the like.

I believe Buchardt uses proprietary drivers. So if 10 years down the road those drivers are no longer produced because they’ve moved on to newer models, you could be SOL.

Oddiofyl likes this.
  16. Skibum2

Skibum2 Forum Resident

I can't understand why any manufacturer would not offer a warranty to back up product with the competition offering warranties. I personally would not by a new hifi product without one. The only possible reason not to offer one is money I guess. Every on should avoid these companies

Big Blue and somnar like this.
  17. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I am pretty confident Fritz has some type of warranty on parts, it’s just not clear on the site.

To answer the question the OP posed directly, I would take pause on buying something brand new without a mfg warranty, but I don’t think that’s the case here with Fritz

18. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As I said in my post above: Buchardt clearly states on their website that they offer a 30 day one back guarantee and a 10 year warrantee.

Strangely enough the new owner of Parasound has stated warranties will be cut from 5 years to 1 year going forward. Authorized dealers will be able to provide an additional 2 or 3 year warrantee for additional cost. For a supposedly high end gear manufacturer, I don't think that will go well at all. It will put Parasound at a distinct disadvantage relative to their competition.

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Aren't there consumer protection laws in the US that make product warranty compulsory?

That being said, I would buy *passive* speakers without warranty (or buy them second hand) if it was a great deal.

Once you have auditioned the speakers (check the channel balance + frequency balance to see if the drivers and crossovers are fine, turn up the sound and play bass-heavy tracks to see if there is any mechanical noise due to loose components), the risk of them breaking is small.

Many manufacturers give 10 years warranty on speakers because they know the risk is low, even when the law only requires one year.

20. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Parasound will lose a lot of followers by going from 5 yrs to 1. Knowing that I would never consider a Parasound from now on.

They make some good gear, too bad that will kill the brand

Big Blue and Jim0830 like this.
  21. somnar

somnar Senior Member

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Personally, I would go with the Fritz speakers even in the unlikely case that he doesn’t offer a warranty. For these reasons:

• Non-proprietary drivers
    • Speakers rarely fail within the first decade of ownership.
    • Failures are incredibly easy to diagnose, and for Fritz models, you can simply buy the replacement part from one of multiple vendors and install it yourself if you have even minimal mechanical aptitude.
    • With Buchardt, you’ll be at the mercy of whether they still manufacture/supply the drivers, and if they do, who knows how long it takes to get those drivers to your door, or worse, they insist the whole speaker be shipped to a repair center.
    • Lastly, I have little doubt the parts in Fritz speakers are of higher quality and thus, likely produce better sound quality as well.

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would not buy any electronics or appliance product without a warranty. And by that I don’t mean a 30 day return period; I mean at least a one year, or whatever the industry standard is for the type of product in question, warranty that covers me if the thing breaks due to defect or poor craftsmanship. If a company does not offer a warranty, I assume they do not stand behind the quality of their product, and I don’t have money to just throw away like that.

jonwoody likes this.
  24. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

don't buy anything new that doesn't have a warranty of some description. That would be a huge red flag for me

Big Blue likes this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

No I would not . Yes it can!