Would you buy a sapphire tip stylus ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PhxJohn, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is not a drill. I am communicating with a major stylus seller. Styli for the GE VR 1000 cartridge have been out of production for years or decades. A production run is being considered but with sapphire instead of diamond tips. Would you buy a sapphire tipped stylus or do without as a diamond tip version will not be available ?

2. PhxJohn

The above question would apply for any stylus model.
    Thank you.

3. paolo

paolo Senior Member

I know nothing about your cartridge but,way back when, sapphire was a perfectly acceptable stylus medium. It just didn’t last as long as diamond but was cheaper and quite popular. Many BSR ceramic cartridges had a selection of diamond and sapphire stylii available.

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

The question is why?

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The only reason that anyone ever bought a sapphire stylus when available was because they were cheap. I would never use any cartridge with a sapphire stylus, and I would never use any cartridge that was on a heavy tracking arm on my records, even if it had a diamond stylus.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and nosliw like this.
  6. PhxJohn

I asked the distributor the same question. Maybe enough of the particular model are not sold to warrant using diamonds. If I find out, I will post. Most likely it is a cost issue.

7. PhxJohn

The GE VR 1000 can track at 2.5 grams with a decent stylus. I don't know if you were making a general statement or referring to the GE VR 1000.

8. PhxJohn

I will be interested to hear from those with a GE VR 1000 cartridge because their only choice right now is NOS with the associated problems.

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Well, the cartridge may be able to, but what arm and table is it used with? Most of these were in consoles on changers, none of which tracked at under 2g AFAIK. I had one that I restored not too long ago that had a Zenith Micro-Touch arm, which would supposedly track as low as 2g. That was the only unit that was a standard console player that could do that AFAIAA. Now, there are some separate hi-fi tables from that era that could, but most are also only marginally better. I just can't see being concerned with anything from that era a wise move for one's record collection. Maybe for 78's?
    -Bill

nosliw likes this.
  10. PhxJohn

I am using my VR 1000 in an AR 77-XB and another guy on here in using one in either his Rega P1 or RP1. I have an Ortofon Quintet Blue in my Rega.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Certainly better than a console deck. I still have concerns about the compliance of that cartridge. Have you seen what the replacement stylus looks like? ...Sort of like a garden hoe with a sharp tip! :faint:
    -Bill

PhxJohn likes this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

No, unless for a rarely used specialty tip size. I'd wear a sapphire tip out in 1 week-10 days.

HiFi Guy and PhxJohn like this.
  13. PhxJohn

That is a helpful answer !!

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For .7 and .1 styli, diamond only. For me a 2.5 or 3 mil light use specialty tip OK if cheap enough. But won't pay diamond prices for it.

15. PhxJohn

Yes, it looks very crude. In the 1967 Allied Radio Catalog it claims 15 degree tracking angle. Sure. The compliance is a bit more than a Shure M3D and a bit less than a Shure M7D. The biggest problem that fans of the VR 1000 have is finding a decent stylus. Many have hardened suspensions. That is the reason for the sapphire tip question. At least the suspension would be fresh. There is a possibility that a final run will be done but only with sapphire. I think I will pass and then I doubt they will be produced. I think I have the largest styli supply in the world for the VR 1000 so there should be enough useable diamond tips.

16. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

If I remember correctly, sapphire styluses last about 1/10 as long as diamond styluses.

17. PhxJohn

Looks like no one is interested so this production run is likely not going to happen. Which is fine with me as it leaves me the only supplier of styli for the GE VR 1000.

18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

That would be like running bias-ply tires on a modern car.:D

jeff

BDC and PhxJohn like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Here's an idea: buy the sapphire tipped assembly for the suspension, then send it to Expert Stylus in England for retipping in diamond. We 78 collectors do that sort of thing all the time.

20. PhxJohn

No thanks.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

22. PhxJohn

I will let the distributor know there is no interest.

23. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I just purchased a Jico neo SAS sapphire stylus for my Shure V15vmr cartridge. Is that the same thing? If so, I’m now having doubts about my order.

24. PhxJohn

NO. The cantilever is sapphire on yours...the tip is diamond.

25. PhxJohn

Sorry to be so short. I had contacted one stylus retipper some months ago. He claimed the VR 1000 is just another moving magnet cartridge. The VR 1000 is neither moving magnet nor moving coil. He said only the stylus made a difference. Idiot. Then he offered to sell me some cartridge for $200 or $300 that was guaranteed to sound better. How would he know ? Plus, you don't insult what at potential customer has. He would probably put an aluminum cantilever on the stylus assembly and wonder why other than needle talk....no signal was generated. Fair or unfair other than someone like the famous guys....I am done with retippers. Plus, I would have to commit to a production run of sapphire styli. A minimum run for EVG or Pfans is about a thousand units. And I have almost 200 diamond tipped styli for the GE VR 1000 so there should be enough good ones for everyone. If not, too bad, so sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.