Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve definitey sold off pieces of my collection when times were tight. It’s just stuff. And in the era of eBay there’s very little you can’t get again later when things improve if you regret anything. Plus having the actual music available digitally means it’s not a complete loss.

Sear and eddiel like this.
  2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I'm considering selling some of my more valuable records. My reasoning goes like this - take Wildflowers as an example. Let's say I could get £200 for it (I've seen it sell for more). So the question is, if I didn't have it, would I pay £200 for it? If the answer is "no", then I'd say that's decision made - time to sell it.

Sear and eddiel like this.
  3. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Keep

4. Timing the market is always a tough one. Is it at its greatest value, could it go higher? This is where eBay is useful, using dicogs, popsike, collectors frenzy you can set your reserve and see where something goes to make sure you get the most.

What have you done/decided since you first posted ?

5. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

Not a lot to be honest, but I've listed a few here and there. The most significant title I've sold was Kate Bush - Aerial.

zphage likes this.
  6. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

I sold off a lot of 70's and 80's punk/new wave/indie 7", 12" and LP's in the late 80's. I got good prices for that time. I needed the cash for a business investment which kept me employed for 16 years. I was able to source the music elsewhere for listening. Only regret is those records go for really stupid money now, but who knew?

eddiel, uzn007 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  7. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

Yes, I would consider it and have done it.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. Vivacious99

Vivacious99 Forum Resident

I had a copy of the 1st AC/DC album (vinyl 1st issue, never played) kicking around - no interest in it. No regrets selling something I know I wouldn't listen to. It sold recently to a buyer who will cherish it. Win/win.

Sear, Johnny Vinyl and eddiel like this.
  9. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I did once.... Then for the next five years I had Ozone shots administered abdominally. Never gonna happen again Nathan!

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

For each album you have as a multiple, keep the audiophile quality pressing and the pressing you most cherish - as memory or as a rarity. Sell the other copies.

11. Johnny Vinyl

One 2LP album I'm thinking of selling is the Speakers Corner reissue of Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I rarely play it as I don't want to damage it, cueing up my standard Canadian pressing more often. I just have to decide if the standard copy is good enough for me to enjoy without having the SC in my collection. Selling it would raise the funds I need to get my Nitty Gritty NG2.5Fi RCM fixed. So I'm a bit torn, but will take my time before actually deciding.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’ve already sold a bunch of vinyl and CD’s. They just end up coming right back into my collection...like a boomerang...a higher priced boomerang.

garrincha, Jgirar01, Linto and 2 others like this.
  13. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Ok, if we were talking about albums that are particularly cherished then no, it is unlikely that I would sell them unless I was totally giving up playing records for example. I suppose if some one offered me a crazy price and I have an alternative (such as a good CD), I may consider.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. sleeptalker

sleeptalker Forum Resident

No. Not whilst i'm still breathing.

15. Johnny Vinyl

I have come to realize that pretty much everything is for sale for the right price and only about a half-dozen that I will never part with under any circumstance.

James Glennon likes this.
  16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Short answer, no

Long answer no &@&);$ way

Reason, I’m emotionally connected to my record collection.

17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I've been kicking this around for a while. Thinking I should sell records in lesser condition that I have or have a nice cd copy of. Not going to make fortune but it would give me more space for new stuff. Just can't bring myself to do it. I think the only way I could actually pull the trigger is if I bought a replacement copy in better shape BEFORE selling. Seems to be a little unrealistic (especially in today's vinyl crazy market) and self defeating. I have about 250 sealed 8-Tracks (good titles) that I think would bring pretty decent money. I'm just too much of a collector to let them go.

18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

yes, doing it now
    Buy Vinyl Records and CDs from timkt66 at Discogs Marketplace

got too many records I just never play, so those are going first.
    my house is small, I might even sell record player and all my records, as I am getting older I find the
    laziness of digital is great, DACs are now really good, I enjoy playing the odd LP, and it sounds amazing, but it happens
    so rarely these days I might as well sell.

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I am lucky in that I have never ever paid above the odds for any LP in my collection. I have never lost sight of the fact that it is only an LP.

I actually laugh when I read or hear a person say they won an LP on E-Bay for £200. I say to myself: No, you didn't win it, you paid £200 for it.

JG

20. Johnny Vinyl

Haha and very true. Like free healthcare. No, you pay for that with taxes.

James Glennon likes this.
  21. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Don't go there, this thread is difficult enough!:biglaugh:

JG

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. Johnny Vinyl

Haha. I know, but it's the first thing that popped in my head.

Back to the thread.......

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

What's your average spend per lp?

£200 is a lot to spend on an lp and if someone was just buying records at that level, wow, that's a lot of money. But even £20 is a lot to some people :)

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

A purge has been on my mind for awhile now and I can feel the time will come soon enough. I promised myself I would keep my lp collection at 1,000 records and I beat that by 500 which is annoying because I clearly do not have the space. So there will be a sell off. There's a good chance my friend will get a table at a show later this year and has offered me space. I think I can pull together 2 crates of decent stuff at least. But really I need get rid of more.

The whole thing is a lot less fun than it used to be in all honesty. Competition for records is tougher and the instances of bad grading (online sales) feels like it's getting worse. I've bought a lot less this year thats for sure and that goes for cds too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.