Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Done that as well!:cop:

JG

Terry likes this.
  2. James Glennon

Jeepers! Where did you sell your records?

JG

3. James Glennon

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Hear, hear!

5. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I had almost every pop rock lps fr0m Mofi from 1978-1990, Beatles Mono 1st state Butcher, Rolling Stones mofi box,Beatles mofi box, Sinatra mofi box, UHQR Sgt.Pepper mofi, Beatles 1970 Christmas member lp.
    In addition so many other quality pressings like Nataulus LPs Doobies Captain and me.
    My uncles 12 45 rpm carrey boxes of original singles and so many 78s and original Clasical LPs from my Mothers collection when she was a voice and piano coach at CBS in NY,NY.
    This whole purge was done by appointment at Colony Records where I met a person who gave me if memory serves about 22 grand. It was a financial hard time so I did it.

My Planet of the apes collection of lobby cards, posters and every conceivable publicity item I still have and are considering that soon,valued in 1990 at 19 grand, now its almost five times the worth, sorry off topic......
    I regret it so much and I'm getting sad as **** right now. John M.

I not only considered , I sold my soul.....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tommyboy, hi_watt and pinkrudy like this.
  6. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

When I started buying cd’s I started trading in records. At my peak, I had around 8-9,000 and no duplicates. In the mid 90’s, I moved out of NYC. I had a small pickup truck and obviously not enough space for all of those albums, many of which I hadn’t played in years. I traded in several thousand over the first few months before moving, I didn’t get what I would now, but it made my move a lot easier and it gave me a needed financial cushion. I also gave tons of them away to friends. I couldn’t have imagined this a year or so earlier, but it was less painful than I thought it would be. It’s over 25 years later. I got over it. My life is considerably better now than it was back then.

zphage likes this.
  7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

No way.

8. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Probably not unless I needed the money for dire reasons. Having said that, it is nice to know I could sell them and make serious money if I was forced to eBay everything. I'm pretty confident I could pay my mortgage for at least a year before the well ran dry.

9. Anything in particular you miss?

What made you sell?

10. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Sometimes you have to. Marriage, buy house, instant family, goodbye vinyl.

11. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

I would given some circumstances that I hope I'll not encounter again. For instance, a number of years ago I had a hiking accident while working as a "contractor" (all the work with none of the benefits) and had to fully cover the cost of surgery. The only reason I didn't sell my vinyl was that I didn't think they'd be worth more than a pittance at the time. I'm glad I didn't.

I am somewhat hesitant to play the more valuable LPs but occasionally remember I didn't buy them to occupy shelf space and give 'em a spin.

aussievinyl likes this.
  12. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I've cashed in valuable records from time to time. The closest thing to a prized record was when I sold Arcade Fire's first single "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)". I bought that and the first EP in the early days direct from either them or the label. It even had the extras. If I'd held onto it longer, I could've ridden the vinyl revival wave and sold it for more. My interest in them has continued to wane with each release, so I don't regret parting with it. If circumstances changed, there's a lot of stuff I'd sell before I started really having to make hard decisions about my records. I have a couple of releases that are literally impossible to replace and plenty that would be a hassle just to find. It would be way more expensive to assemble my record collection right now than it was over the years.

13. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

The short answer is Everything.
    The Butcher album and mofi Beatles box. The UHQR did not sound all that impressive to me, in fact it sounded so much to me in my setup at the time like the 1987 Pepper CD , that to me CDs were the answer to great sound. I still feel that a properly mastered CD can be great and is great.
    The original 45 rpm's from Buddy, Jerry, Little Richard,Ernie Ford, Platters, so on and on.
    Mofi Blood Sweat Tears and Foreigner sounded great.
    2feet of vinyl gone forever in original shape.

My Macintosh 7270 and my parents, with their concent, Magnavox 1965 Astrosonic stereo/TV with incredible real woodwork just to add some hardware.
    At the time it was OK now well very sad. Thanks, John M.

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

As I'm getting older (just turned 71 last month) I've decided to sell most of my LPs as I have much of the music on CD and my 2 adult kids don't seem to have any interest in them. But man, it's rough. There are a few I miss very much and many times I'm saying to myself, "why the f**k did I sell that fricking record?!?!"

hi_watt and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya, I gladly got rid of anything Capitol by the Beatles and just concentrated on UK records. Even got rid of my Capitol CDs..... :p

P.S. I would gladly take a Beatles Butcher album, though!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    seed_drill likes this.
  16. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

The music goes on through generations unquestionably.

But the vintage vinyl records? Not a chance.

17. schnitzerphilip

Yes, hence why I’m getting out now. Going to sell all those original LP’s and 45 picture sleeves in the Spring.

18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

If those 45 picture sleeves are super clean minty examples you should do well. But I've seen a dramatic drop in prices for VG+ or less examples........and the glut of Beatles US 45/picture sleeves on eBay doesn't help either.

19. fab432

fab432 “To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!”

Ahh the dilemma of “a collector “. When I started collecting Beatles records some 45 years ago my aim was to acquire as complete a collection as possible. My limited funds meant I could only acquire the more common pressings but I’d still scour the classifieds of Goldmine and Record Collector looking for those really rare items - those were the days!!!

Long story short - over time I did put together a very nice collection. About 10 years ago I decided to keep my best 5 or 6 lps and my best 15 or so 45’s and I sold the rest. It was s hard decision but one that I’m glad I made.

Johnny Vinyl and Guitarded like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

I don't have high hopes but I'll take a chance. If the price get so low it's not worth my time I'll just keep them as a warm reminder of my youth as the years go by.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, if the price is right. Can’t take it with me.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I started selling off duplicates, or versions I knew I'd never reach for again, years ago.
    Like the time I brought in all the original UK stereo Beatles albums, because I only play the mono counterparts.
    They ( the neighborhood shop ) were thrilled, and I was always leaving with a check for well over one hundred dollars in my wallet, each, and every visit.
    They sold the shop last year, and I haven't wanted to part with anything lately.

23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

At some point I will sell off all my collection. It's just a matter of time.

I've already given away some of the 'industrial' music genre, since I don't listen to that style of music much anymore.

later

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nope. I can't take take it with me but I can pass it on to my son who is a record collector and music lover.

Myke and Tommyboy like this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Every 3-4 months or so, I purge my collection and sell off records that I’m no longer spinning to a local shop in NYC. I’m certainly not getting close to what I originally spent on them, but the guy at the shop I deal with is very fair. I’ve must have offloaded 3-5 mono White Albums over the past 2 years. I put it out of my mind and don’t look back.

I need the space and the funds help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.