Would you pay $800 for a mint copy of the RL Led Zeppelin II?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slunky, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MBT68

MBT68 I remember dates, names, numbers...

I found an RL SS copy of Zepplin II for about 8.00 at a small shop in Chicago. Lucky find. Not mint but close to VG+..

800.00 is a lot but I guess it would depend. I spent 175 on a Townes Van Zandt ST Poppy press.. never thought I would do that but I wanted it. I asked an owner of another store if I paid too much and he said - what’s too much? If you want it then you have to decide what too much means.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

As I ponder upon this subject....
    I think of Sabbath's first three on the swirl.
    Hot Rocks, 11-18 Shelly mix.
    Some WLP monos of stereo albums.
    Abraxas one step.

I'm sure many are on the Discogs news letter and see some of the higher priced LP's they list that sold.

Giorgio likes this.
  3. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Too much for my blood... you must be one of those guys who buys a left and a right shoe at the same time.

4. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Thanks gentlemen. If I am ever in the market for a proper sounding LZII, I will look for the Piros.

This knock on the digital remaster is something that made me question my own sensibility about why I'd ever think Jimmy was actually gonna better something from the vaults and then truly deliver on that tease. It is not like we don't know these tweaks, meaningful as Jimmy says they are, are just ways to extend his copyright limits on the Zep catalogue. To milk forever more. Poor Jimmy. Robert was right to cash out and walk away all those years ago.

5. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Nearly 500 posts in, the OP has yet to say what he decided.

Twinsfan007 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  6. Slick Willie

In JP's defense, his definition of better and this forum's may not be the same. At his age and history of loud music,,,well…?
    And maybe it was time to digitize the tapes, who knows their condition?
    Plus he's a fiddler, always looking for his def of perfection? Hey, it took him 5 cuts to accept the UK LP cut of III.
    He added a longer fade in on Presence during the Marino sessions that still exists....and he re-envisioned the soundtrack album to name two.

7. Slick Willie

Looked at his history, not really an everyday...or week poster.

8. A lot of rare US/UK psych
    I already bought it to make a bowl for chips, wife likes glass and crystal, but I convinced her to go vinyl.

9. Slick Willie

Ha! You made a funny...

10. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

My personal favorite and rarer than the 'RL' by a mile
    Only 10 copies know to exist, in circulation anyway, and I've got one of them

11. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I agree with everything in this post. I have owned many LZ II RLs over the years. I have yet to see one which could be visually graded using proper Goldmine standards as "mint". I haven't even heard a properly graded NM example on my system or anyone else's for that matter. Conservatively graded, my current play copy is probably a VG+, with small amounts of surface noise in places and random ticks at high volume on my system. I kinda think that's the best that can be hoped for with this record.

If I was offered an RL for $800 and it visually graded as "mint" then I would know that I was in the presence of a true rarity. However, I could still never consider buying it without listening to it on my system at a very high volume first. If it really did play dead silent with no ticks or pops then I would consider it to be a truly rare example and quite possibly worth the money IMO.

12. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Unless $800 bucks for you is totally disposable never going to miss it or think about it again kind of money, why bother? There is no way it will sound THAT much better than any other copy in decent shape, and even if it does, you will fret every time you play and degrade it. Imagine dropping it on the spindle, or otherwise damaging it....it'll break your heart. Plus, (and I say this as a big fan of the band) this is NOT music that needs to be pristine. Buy a brand new remaster if you want easy quality, and then keep your eye out in the second hand bins and at garage sales.... That's my two cents. Now you only need 79,998 more :)

misteranderson and Slick Willie like this.
  13. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I think the prices for R.L. copies of Led Zep II have reached the point of being a financial mania. I have 3 1/2 copies * of this album and while I they are desirable pressings to own, there are other pressings which also have very good sound quality for far less money. Finding those other pressings can be tricky as there are plenty of really bad sounding pressings too. The R.L. copies tend to have louder bass than other copies. I have an early U.S. pressing and a mid-1970's U.K. pressing both which sound very good and aren't bass deficient. The bass isn't quite as loud as the R.L. copies but this difference isn't worth $700+ to me.

* Some German releases use a side 1 R.L. stamper, so I have a German copy which is 1/2.

14. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Why do ya have three of the same pressing?

15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I don’t think it’s worth it.
    I bought an RL Zeppelin II for $750 but it keeps skipping on my Crosley.

:—)

16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Just tape a quarter to the headshell. Should do the trick........lol!!

17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I used to do just that with my brother's awful Panasonic all-in-one unit, though I don't think it was ever a quarter. Dime or penny, usually.

I love Led Zeppelin, but I'd gladly shell out $400-500 for one of Electric Recording Company's meticulously produced jazz or classical records than $800 for even the absolute best, mint-y est Zep II RL.

Diskhound likes this.
  18. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

In general, there are two reasons I will buy multiple copies of an album: 1) Trying to find a quiet copy. 2) Trying to find the best sounding copy.

Once I find a quiet, good sounding copy I stop buying copies.

In this specific case, only the German copy (side 1 only) is quiet. I have a U.S. copy with a VG+ side 2. It's listenable but hardly pristine. The other two copies are pretty much trashed. But I found them at very cheap prices so it was worth the risk that they might play better than they looked. Unfortunately they didn't.

MisterNines likes this.
  19. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Wow! I just checked out their site. We're talking brand new high-end audiophile, limited edition records at 500 £ each - only 300 made per title. Better not sit on your hands!

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I guess that's why I have multiple
    Copes of the same things! But this year I'm running out of room so anything trashed has been donated away...

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I love these threads, half think it’s insane, the other half say it’s a collectible and there is one who always says give the money to charity.
    Here is the answer if you want it and can afford it buy it. People like to collect, there is no rational explaination.
    To some $800 is a weeks salary to others it’s pocket change. There is nothing wrong buying it if you can afford it.

22. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I would use a nickel, but we all hear things differently.:)

dalem5467 likes this.
  24. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Is it signed by the entire band including Bonham?

25. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

Well, did you buy it? If not, Tom Port over at Better Records has one which is most likely in less than Near Mint for $800......