Would you pay $800 for a mint copy of the RL Led Zeppelin II?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slunky, Oct 23, 2018.

1. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

So YOU have that confounded bridge! Might want to tell Robert, he's been looking for it for 45 years!

The FRiNgE likes this.
  2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Na, Not rude at all, I'm Dazed and Confused!!! Yep, I sold that one too, Led Zep I, my good UK copy and still angry that I had to sell my best two Zep records to raise money. I took a photo of "Bring it on Home" to display the extreme groove pitch, however didn't archive it. I did digitize Zep I.. even with slight wear and noise it sounded crazy good... Digitized Zep III from Ampex blue box Reel to Reel :( Happy to have it, however... (yeah it was sold too) :mad:

AlexDelarge and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. Prices have increased dramatically for these since You asked the Question in October.I Recently Sold a VG+ Copy for $500(CTH) and the Buyer was Thrilled to get it.

So,if it truly is in Mint or even NM Condition then $800 is a realistic price.There is not many out there that are VG+ or Better.I have One (Presswell) Right now in VG+

that Iplan on Hanging on to until I find a NM Copy.Best of Luck!

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I wonder why he hasnt logged in since posting this thread??

I hope hs is ok...... I wonder if he bought the record?

5. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

How far does the price drop for a VG. I’d be inclined to think it would drop more than usual when going down a grade since only true audiophiles pay these prices in the hundreds and wouldn’t think they would even consider anything less than VG+

Peter Marchesi likes this.
  6. I Dont think a lot of "True Audiophiles are buying these(they opt for the Re-Issue from 2016?).Most of the People Buying these now are what I call Millenial Collectors and they will gladly play $250-$300 for a VG,vG- The One I sold for $500 went to Australia,The Buyer had been waiting for Years to Find Something Nice and was Pleasantly Surprised with His Purchase.

7. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Yes, there is. You're making the assumption that only 99 people are left in the world who want a copy. What you're not counting on is the very real possibility there are others who want it but didn't see this particular auction. Or maybe didn't have the extra money to bid at that point in time. And out of those other likely people, there's no telling how high some may be willing to go. $200? $500? Who knows? When it comes up for bid next time, the results could be quite different. All that's needed are two more people who REALLY REALLY want it, and that wouldn't seem to be too unlikely with this item.

There are times one can get something on ebay for less than its general current value, just because of different unpredictable circumstances in play while it's up for bid. That might be what happened with this auction.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    lazydawg58 likes this.
  8. lazydawg58

Interesting and kind of amazing. I’ve got a run of the mill LZ II in VG- condition that I paid $4 for at a comic book store. I honestly can’t imagine paying the kind of prices talked about for a RL. My equipment is mid range consumer grade and my ears are 60 years old. But I’ll certainly be on the lookout for that pressing at estate sales, yard sales etc.!

9. lazydawg58

Thanks for the response. I see your logic. I suppose the opposite might hold true as well. A number of those bidding in this particular auction might loss interest, find a copy elsewhere, not have the disposable income again, including that 2nd place bidder. Others may sour on buying at auction. And as a result the next situation results in a significantly lower winning bid.

no.nine and Peter Marchesi like this.
  10. It is well worth the Time.Once You find the First One You become hooked.

11. The Problem with these "Auction" Sites is that sometimes People "cool down" after submitting a Bid,It May be Days before Auction is to end,People get caught up with other things,may be too busy to "check in" etc. Like You have already said.I Never liked the way that EPAY "AUCTIONS" are Run.If Someone bids $500,Then there Bid should be $500 not $1.00 more than the current highest bidder.Also,Most Auctioneers work for the Seller not the Buyer.The Buyer pays the Commission.Not so on EPAY,The Seller Pays the Commission and this "Buyer Protection" is working for the Buyer and NOT the Seller.Simply put they are wh*$#s.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

If you have lots of money and are a huge Led Zep fan, why not? I personally wouldn't do it, but I knew a lot of Zep fans that paid hundreds of dollars for concert tickets. At least with this, you own it for a lifetime if you so choose.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Most of these records were thrashed back in the day. It's a miracle if any survived in excellent or mint condition. My copy of the record is in decent condition, but certainly not excellent or near mint. 50 years of sitting in boxes in non climate control conditions as well as sub standard turntables and stylus's will take a toll no matter how well you handle your records. A record that would have skipped back then would have been tossed into the trash and you then would have gone out to buy a new one. That's how it was. It's not a record I listen to everyday so it is not high on my priorities.

Giorgio and Peter Marchesi like this.
  14. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Absolutely also true.

15. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

$10 is my limit. Someday it will be mine.

Neonbeam, lazydawg58 and Saint Johnny like this.
  17. lazydawg58

It's sitting in a closet somewhere with 100 other records. Eventually the owner or the owners wife or the late owner's children are going to be cleaning out that closet. One of us will get a call, "hey Joe told me you messed around with old record", "yea, I like to get em and clean em up and see how they play", " well I'm cleaning up and need to get rid of a bunch of em, if you want em come on by and you can have, em, otherwise I'm hauling em to the dump", "Well okay".

Peter Marchesi and Fender Relic like this.
  18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I wonder how many of us had RL LZ II's and didn't know it back in the day before the internet hipped us.

19. lazydawg58

There is no telling!

Peter Marchesi likes this.
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I had this record sitting in my sister's basement for over 45 years. I didn't know about the RL master version until about 3 years ago. It was never something that anybody ever talked about. It was when she was packing up to move that she called me and asked if I still wanted this box of records. I said "What the heck, why not". I didn't realize that there was the RL, near mint copies of both the first Santana, The Faces " Nod is a Wink" and a psych record titled "Dragonfly". There were some other records like James Taylor, Chicago, Traffic, etc. ,that were so so, but nothing to get too excited about.

I probably had purchased 5 other versions of LZII since buying that one and didn't think a thing about it. Not that many folk were really in the know about all this pressing trivia. They just tossed the record on the turntable or stuck the tape into the machine and that was it.

21. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

Umm...no.

22. As You stated,I never knew about the II ' Different Versions until a couple of Years Ago_Once I started up with the "Hobby" again it is a lot more interesting with the amount
    of info at the touch of a keyboard.I Would check out the other records that You have and maybe even start a "collection" on Discogs.com Once You have entered Your Library/Collection,(whether it be 1 or 10,000 records).You will be able to see the Monetary Value,How Many Other subscribers have the same and or are looking for the same.It is amazing and FREE! That is How I started.You can also Buy/Sell on there as well.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. Yes,What Happened to the OP?

24. How about an update?Mate!

25. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Me! Many years ago (I had recently joined this Forum), I posted in a thread on LZ II versions that the copy I had purchased new in 1969 smoked any other version I had heard (including MFSL, Classic, etc). Another Forum member asked if there was an RL in the deadwax, and voila! Since then, I learned by listening that you also need an ss in the deadwax.

Fender Relic and Peter Marchesi like this.