Would you pay $800 for a mint copy of the RL Led Zeppelin II?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slunky, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Knowing what you've been able to amass in Led Zeppelin vinyl over the last 3 years or so, I'd say you're not missing much.

The Classic LZ I may be the best of the bunch. I still prefer a good clean Piros.

I spin my Classic II (200 gram) ever so often.....but the RL and Piros sound better in my opinion. Perhaps the MFSL, but it's been a bit since I've heard it.

I Like the Classic III (200 gram).......yeah it's a little boosted on top, but it works for me. I still like my EARLY US better, and maybe my Canadian (TG)

I don't think I've heard the Classic for ZOSO

I didn't like the Classic of Houses (180 gram) sold it.

Nope....my Monarch (FT) reigns supreme for Physical Graffiti

Presence and Out Door get high praise with many when it comes to the Classic. I like my US pressed at Monarch for Presence, and Out Door was a head scratcher for years. I didn't think I would ever find a US Strawberry pressing that would cut it sonically. I found one recently that sounds primo. I will post the matrix later.

The Song Remains The Same.......never heard the Classic

The Classic Coda (200 gram) doesnt sound right to me......A clean US sounds nice.

Of course these are all Classic 33rpm I'm referring....the 45's may be a different story.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. No but I might pay that to meet all of the surviving members and attend a small concert with them there.

Quakerism likes this.
  3. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

No way would I pay that, even if funds were plentiful.

DiabloG, Quakerism and a customer like this.
  4. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I wouldnt pay 800 bucks for any album.
    I guess if I was a millionaire I might
    but I doubt it.

DiabloG and Quakerism like this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

When monkeys fly out of my butt

D.B., Quakerism, AFA and 1 other person like this.
  6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Has there ever been a truly Mint record ever pressed for any artists, I think not

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I buy $20 recent reissue, consider it "good enough", use remaining $780 for a vacation.

8. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

No, for the same reason I wouldn't pay $800 for a bottle of wine. My target CD sounds great

AFA likes this.
  9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I own four LP copies of Led Zeppelin II:

* Atlantic SD 8236 mastered by RL (ST - A - 691671-MO - CC RL SS LW / ST - A - 691672-MO - CC LW RL SS)
    * MFSL 1-065 (ORTOFON MFSL-1-065 A3 SR/2 H131**VABC / ORTOFON MFSL-1-065 B2 SR/2 H121*)
    * 2014 Reissue Atlantic R1-535225
    * Atlantic SD 8236 post RL version, derived from an EQ’d Cassette File Copy, as referenced by RL

Three of the LP’s are in N.M., the exception being the RL cut, which is VG+, maybe just shy of EX.

* MFSL - dead quiet background. Zero surface noise. An excellent listening experience. Dynamic, but not as dynamic as RL. Makes you feel you’re “done” searching for the ultimate LZ II, until you hear an RL...

* RL - some low level surface noise, as to be expected with the lesser quality condition (compared to the N.M. MFSL). The volume is noticeably louder than the MFSL, so I had to lower the gain on my Preamp to compensate so I’d be comparing apples to apples. VERY dynamic, which I noticed from listening, but was confirmed by observing the big blue meters on my McIntosh power amp. There was more “swing” of the needles when playing the RL. Also, when JPJ’s bass enters during the intro of WLL, the “thickness” sets it apart from the MFSL. And, Bonham’s snare pops out more on the RL than on the MFSL.

* SD 8236 EQ’d Cassette File Copy - who put a down comforter over my speakers? This is dreadful. Makes you want to cry.

* 2014 Reissue - surprisingly good. For $20 new, it’s probably the best bang for the buck. Not in the league of the MFSL or RL, but definitely worth $20.

Summary: MFSL and RL are excellent listening experiences, the RL is just a little more so. The difference is noticeable when immediately comparing one after the other, but it’s not a drastic difference, as it is with the EQ’d Cassette File LP. If the RL is 100%, I’d give the MFSL an 85% to 90%. Without the RL to compare, I’d say most people should be completely satisfied with the MFSL. The RL is good for that extra 10 - 15%. For $20, you can’t wrong with the 2014 Reissue. If you get stuck with an EQ’d Cassette File LP, burn it!

10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I gave a mint copy to my youngest son.

OC Zed and showtaper like this.
  11. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

No. But, here's an honest question - did the quality fall of that much after the RL masters? I've got one quite by accident, and I can't hear much difference in loudness or clarity. Truly, the Atlantic Red and Green CD is fine by me. Played source-to-source, it holds the RL equal in comparison (to my undemanding ear.)

AFA likes this.
  12. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

The last 6 presses that I bought were in mint condition. Pressed between 1975 and 1987. Greek pressing! As quiet as a cd! Incredible quality! :cool::tiphat:

13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Well guys.....it seems @audiomixer is having fun on other threads, but hasn't been back to visit with us. Hmmm, I wonder why?

14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Nope. Couldn't pay more than about 300 for any record, and even then I'd be sick as I handed over the money, and there'd only be a few select titles worth it to me, and they'd have to be pretty close to mint all around for that kind of money. None of the titles I have in mind would be Led Zeppelin II either. I've got an RL, it's beat but would a mint copy be worth 800 bucks? Hell no.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Maybe he's waiting for his film to be developed, so he can show us the initials in the deadwax? IIRC he's never been a fan of digital photoraphy :)

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

He's an amateur. I have RL cuts of Blueberry Hill, Destroyer, Bonzo's Birthday Party, Mudslide... beat that!

;)

17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

no -

$150 for a mostly clean vg+ RL
    $60 for a German (RL side 1 press) mint -
    my WLL had some noise issues

3 sides of explosive RL for $210

18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

:biglaugh:
    @audiomixer will probably claim he was at each one of those concerts in person.......which I guess would be easier to believe over his RL of I and III.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And with that comment, you’ll never know!
    :D

20. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Oh don't worry....we already know.

21. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Wine you can only drink once. I have always thought that records were a better investment.

deredordica likes this.
  22. Paul Saldana

Later ones have some compression or rolled off bass. I have a late seventies LZII that’s very midrange-y and the stereo is “flat”, no front to back depth at all. But it’s clear, and since there’s no real bottom you can play it pretty loud.

Blastproof likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

My feelings exactly when this came out. I got to play it on a friend’s Audio Research and Vandersteen System and the drums did audibly move forward and backward in space, truly wonderful for a 2014 reissue.

24. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No I would not. It's not like there isn't incredible needle drops in existance - at 24 bit.

rockclassics likes this.