Wow and flutter, etc. Tape Speed Issues - Tone Poet / Blue Note 80th anniversary vinyl LP problems.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by StevenTounsand, Aug 30, 2019.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hah.

Actually, I'm hearing more warbling with the birdies returning outside. :fly:

Fender Relic and Tommyboy like this.
  2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

+1000

Clucking likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

4. AnalogJ

Sure, but the occasional distractions are welcome. :)

5. AnalogJ

I contacted Blue Note about the Brian Blade. The representative said they hadn't heard about any issues with it. I sent him a link to a post on this thread. Folks, if you have issues, make sure you make them public at Blue Note.

When I told him that it was noisy but there weren't visible scratches, he asked for a video showing the audible noise. I did and am waiting to hear back. They can't imagine a pressing defect. :shrug:

AaronW and patient_ot like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

That could be said concerning just about anything discussed in these forums.

Not just this thread.

AaronW, Mazzy and AnalogJ like this.
  7. AnalogJ

Yup. But that's why we have distractions. We binge watch. We do online virtual seders. We watch videos of John Prine and Bill Withers. We listen to music. We watch horror films, and thrillers, and romantic movies, as well as comedies and documentaries.

And we stay home until the time that the threat eventually passes.

AaronW and Mazzy like this.
  8. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

Hello guys, I hope that you and your families are doing well. Have you checked A Swingin' Affair and A Fickle Sonance yet?

Elofan likes this.
  9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Well I'm not hearing any wow and flutter on Lee Morgan's The Rumproller. Of course, that may be because I'm distracted by all the non-fill on side 1 :mad:

TerpStation, patient_ot and AnalogJ like this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. Robotlove

Robotlove Forum Resident

At this point, for this year my only *musts* are the Lee Morgan records so I hope they are okay!

Elofan likes this.
  12. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Posted about this in the Blue Note 80 thread, thought it would be of interest here too. On Rumproller, the track "Desert Moonlight" sounds weird to me in the cymbals like tape dropout damage. It's really noticeable in the left channel especially about half way through the track. Another member confirmed that he heard it too.

That seems to be the only track affected on the record. I haven't heard other vinyl or CD masterings of this album. Is this a known issue with this track?

patient_ot and haomingy like this.
  13. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Hi all,
    I’m not stopping here again, just doing a ‘JH’; quick post and out.
    Check out the latest London Jazz Collector post; Contours. Liberty vs TP

Sam Rivers: Contours (1965) Blue Note

Samples of each posted. Oh boy the first notes on the TP, I retched overboard!

Interestingly though, the original isn’t exactly pitch stable either during the number.

kt66brooklyn and haomingy like this.
  14. Yeah, the first notes of Euterpe are a confirmed tape issue. If I recall correctly - it is on recent digital versions as well.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yes I had forgotten that, thanks. Still, it inspired me to play it: been a while, one of if not my favourite of the series. I guess the tape suffered after the release in 1967 as his post clearly demonstrates especially the first few notes.
    While I’m here; the last 3 TPs sound fine to me so fingers crossed for Money Jungle.

PATB and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  16. I’m with you there - love Contours and am very excited for Money Jungle. I’ve got my fingers crossed on that one that it escapes the warble monster.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wow and flutter.

Flow and wutter.

Why is it pronounced WOW but when you add an L it is pronounced FLOW, same as LOW?

And why is WOAH even a word?

I'm broken now.

AaronW, googlymoogly, AnalogJ and 5 others like this.
  18. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Oooh - is that the new schiit turntable?
    How are you finding it?

19. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Yes that's the Schiit Sol. It took some dialing in, but I'm very happy with it. I like all of the manual adjustments and tinkering, so it was a pleasure to get it running tip-top. Definitely wasn't plug-and-play, though I believe they are coming more set up out of the box. If the aesthetic and price point appeal to you, it's worth checking out.

wellers73 and Briskit like this.
  20. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I'll have what he's having.

AaronW, Vic Trola, dastinger and 2 others like this.
  21. TheClassical

TheClassical Forum Resident

Anybody else hearing the warbly pianos on A Fickle Sonance, specifically on the song “Subdued”? My copy also seems to be pressed off-center, so I’d like to know if anyone else hears it.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. TheClassical

TheClassical Forum Resident

Update: I just listened to side 2 twice, and I couldn't detect a single problem. It sounds great and is centered. Unless any of you also experienced problems on side one, I'll assume it's just a case of badly off centered side creating some pitch fluctuation. I'll be getting a replacement from Amazon, I guess.

patient_ot, Elofan and Fractured like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have this one on an earlier CD edition, will have to check back on the track you mentioned.

Rekkerds likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

Different foreign language derivations, most likely.

25. tikkenator

tikkenator Forum Resident

I’m on my 3rd copy of this. All 3 with loud crackling in right channel through most tracks. Anybody get a good copy?!

PATB and patient_ot like this.