Wow, now Monoprice has an all-tube (EL84) amp with phono for $329.99

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Completely agree! So we are assuming that it is bad simply because it has a lower price, a not known badge and doesn't pay expensive advertising and retailer networks? What kind of elitism is this? And why would everyone should be spending a fortune on audio hardware on the first place?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    dpg3 likes this.
  2. harby

harby Forum Resident

Comparing the specifications I detailed - 80W/ch vs 10W; 0.08% distortion vs published 1% distortion on the tube amp; power efficiency because tube heaters and cathode bias current consume power at idle...

Whether it sounds better is up to you. Lots of things that add distortion and alter the frequency response "sound better".

3. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

My guess is that this amp is a chip for power and a pretty light.

Maybe a tube buffer with a chip for power. Someone buy one and open it!

stuwee likes this.
  4. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

But we know these specifications have nothing to do with real life audio performance. And tubes have by design higher distortion than SS, does this make them inferior?

5. Funky54

SandAndGlass and bluemooze like this.
  6. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I like tubes in guitar amps for distortion.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Have you not actually heard the Onkyo? :)

8. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I've heard the Onkyo receiver (Integra DTM 5.3). 2x 10,000uf Nichicon caps. Good budget receiver for mid-fi performance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

Not that specific one, but have had another home theater Onkyo receiver, replaced with a Yamaha, and then another Yamaha. All good enough to not color the sound with their own personality. The one I posted is just a random selection from the shrinking category of "stereo-only audio receiver". Although one might call them mid-fi, today's boring black boxes are ridiculously better than what mid-fi meant in 1990.

Certainly not shiny or esoteric enough to talk someone out of a tube amp though. Anyway, we're here to debate the quality of terminal jumpers, speaker wire supports, and kitty-litter filled speaker stands.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

Would this all-tube version sound any better than Monoprice's tube-hybrid amplifiers?

11. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

To be fair, at least with a class A amp you can kiss goodbye to crossover distortion. Not something you can say about the Onkyo or its kind.

progrocker likes this.
  12. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

You could certainly connect a sub, but I'd bet a zillion dollars there is unfortunately no way to highpass crossover the signal inside this amp. That reduces the load on the amp and the main speakers, and it is ridiculous manufacturers make no provision at all for that. :mad::confused::realmad:

13. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

14. triple

triple Senior Member

I wish EL84 amps were not made any more, as their production drives the prices of NOS EL84 tubes up. So, all these amps are terrible, also all of the EL84 guitar amps. Stay away from them and go for KT88 amps, these are wonderful.

H8SLKC and Rolltide like this.
  15. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I've heard a very cheap table transistor radio make me weep, had the same thing with an old tube amp, except, my body reacted as well...don't ask. Just the music.

EL84 and EL34's are nothing to sneeze at, serious tubes when used properly.

And all this stuff about where it's made is nonsense, come on! There is just some of the nastiest stuff made in just about every country these days, do your research, listen when you can. Can't do that? Research more! The tube sound has a place in every audio system, integrated into when the recording asks/begs you to :-popcorn:

H8SLKC likes this.
  16. Funky54

The Amp is sold under a variety of brand names. Mine is Rival amps. I should have taken pictures of the inside. Point to point, really well laid out. Its a quality piece. Sure some of the parts are cheap.. but like I said I got this amp with the nice tubes delivered to my door for $299.00 It has that SET sound. Fantastic amp. I feel bad that its just my bedroom amp getting used an hour a month. I used it about 30 hours when I first got it to see what I had after some break in. Its not even paired with the right type of speakers and it sound glorious.

Currently its connected to a Yaqin Tube phono preamp and a Pioneer Pl-530 and some non-efficiant KEF bookshelves and its just fantastic.

ejman and H8SLKC like this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wish people understood that tubes get stale like bread, and they need to get ones made six months ago in Russia if they want a crisp, fresh sound. I only hoard NOS tubes so I can make sure they get responsibly recycled.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Mine was delivered today and it sounds great. :)

H8SLKC and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Rivals Audio Class A Single-ended EL34 Tube Amplifier | eBay

[​IMG]

• Tubes: Rectifier tube:1 x 5Z3P
    • Driver tubes: 2 x 6N8P
    • Power tubes: 2 x Shuguang EL34-B
    • Output power: 8W * 2 (ultra-linear connection)
    • Frequency response: 20Hz-20KHz
    • Output Impedance: 4 ohm, 8 ohm
    • Total Harmonic Distortion: ≤ 1% (1kHz)
    • Input Impedance: 100Kohm
    • Input Sensitivity: 1V
    • SNR: 88d
    • Supply transformer Power: 150W
    • Size (W × D × H): 360mm × 220mm × 55mm (maximum height :165mm)
    • Net weight: 10 k
    • Input voltage: 110v/50-60hz or 220V-230V/50-60hz

Funky54, H8SLKC and bluemooze like this.
  20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

In my mind $400 is way more than i need to spend to get a top quality amp.This is 2017 not 1987.In fact my latest amp is almost 10 times cheaper than even the EL84 tube amp.You heard it right! A great sounding amp can be had for under £40.I have a Sure TA2024 .Sounds as good as anything i've heard for under £500 in a small to medium room with speakers with sensitivity of 89 and over.

[Review] Sure Electronics TA2024 - Class T amplifier

[​IMG]

21. Funky54

Thanks for posting that link! I feel really good about that little amp. It really sounds good. It was and is a fantastic value. Mine came with the PSvalve tubes and they are really nice sounding. I rolled some JJ EL34 II’s and some Shuguang tubes in it to see. The new (not broken in yet) PSvalves in there sounded best.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It is hard to dislike these amps. These are some of the best deals on the planet, for quality tube amps. Enjoy!

H8SLKC likes this.
  23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm thoroughly enjoying this. I have a bunch of tube guitar amps but this is my first tube power amp. And the price was right. :)

H8SLKC and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

So, uh, did anyone ever buy the Monoprice amp and try it out?

Stone Turntable likes this.
  25. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Try replacing those Shuguang's with some JJ KT77's. Not expensive, they're better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.