Wrong / Alternate Tracks Used In Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Mollusk

Mollusk I AM THE STALLION Thread Starter

The recent Bluray error for Elton John's Madman 50th release had me thinking about other pressing mistakes in music, not something like pops or skips, but something like the wrong version of a track being put on a pressing, like the MFSL Tommy version of Eyesight To The Blind, or with parts of a song not meant to be included, like the Muhammed Ali speech at the end of Ween's Powder Blue in some pressings.

Have you got any other examples like this? Any favorites?

https://twitter.com/UMCtweets/status/1534940418554617860

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The first CD of Van Morrison's Moondance used the wrong take of "Into the Mystic." This was corrected on the excellent remaster from a few years ago.

Lewisboogie, owsley, ARod and 11 others like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

MFSL's Sisters of Mercy-Floodland uses a few slightly alt mixes.
    Duran Duran's 1999 comp Strange Behaviour uses 2 previously un-released mixes by mistake

Mollusk likes this.
  4. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Cheap Trick’s Ain’t That A Shame with Robin Zander trading licks with Rick Nielsen?

5. Mollusk

All of these are probably good examples, not super familiar with em so I'll have to check em out and compare! Thanks for replying.

6. c-eling

Not sure what the problem with this one was.
    Delerium-Karma, 1997
    Original includes the excellent song Koran, it was later replaced with an edit of Window To Your Soul.

Mollusk likes this.
  7. Monosterio

It was "wrong" of Rykodisc to use that "Fame '90" abomination on their Changesbowie CD. ;)

8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

The Rykodisc reissue of David Bowie's "Young Americans" features alternate mixes of three songs instead of the usual mixes for some reason.

I'd also like to say something now just to be the first one to do so in this particular thread:

"The Beatles"

Thank you. :cool:

Albingus, Colinjpush, trusso and 11 others like this.
  9. c-eling

:laugh:

Mollusk and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

The Virgin Records reissue of The Rolling Stones' Tattoo You used a different take of "Slave."

Also, the CD release of Neil Young's early 1983 album Trans -- one of his more controversial releases -- used the long single mix of "Sample and Hold."

~Ben

11. Mollusk

Firstly, didn't know that about the Young Americans rykodisc, that one's my favorite Bowie album so I'll have to check it out

Secondly, go to hell ;)

12. Monosterio

I don't have that title, but I'm still curious: Which three songs?

EDIT: Put it in a spoiler so Mollusk doesn't see. :D

tug_of_war and Mollusk like this.
  13. Mollusk

Ha! Not a huge fan of Fame '90 either, it's all good

Monosterio likes this.
  14. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I’m the Nick Davis 2007 Genesis remixes, he uses the wrong vocals track on sections of Suppers Ready and Dancing With the Moonlight Night.

15. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The Waterboys' A Pagan Place reissue/remaster uses an alternate take of "The Thrill Is Gone" marked as the unedited album version. However, it does use the original mix of "Somebody Might Wave Back", which was replaced by a remix on all pre-2002 CDs. (The remix omits the bell at the beginning and has a harmony vocal on the line "left it behind when I came".)
    Is it a different take, or an unedited version of the same take?

phillyal1 and Mollusk like this.
  16. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

The recent RSD pressing of The Damned's Strawberries (pink and red swirl vinyl with a strawberry scented insert!) inexplicably features a live version of 'Bad Time For Bonzo' on side two. Very bizarre.

17. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

95 remaster of Ozzy The Ultimate Sin used the single edit of Shot in the Dark not the album edit, which is missing a couple of bars of instrumental somewhere. After the first chorus I think. It’s not a big deal.

18. Monosterio

It's a miracle I still have that Changesbowie CD. I thought seriously of replacing it with the Singles 1969-1993 comp.

Colinjpush, Mollusk and tug_of_war like this.
  19. tug_of_war

Win, Fascination and Right.
    The most notably different is Fascination and all three sound very inferior. I believe they are rough mixes.

unclefred, Mollusk and Monosterio like this.
  20. AngusStanley

Some of the original cassette and CD versions of the self-titled KISS debut inexplicably had the Alive! live version of Nothin’ to Lose not the studio version.

21. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

Well, the song has an additional 90 seconds compared to its appearances prior to 1994.

~Ben

Mollusk likes this.
  22. AngusStanley

The 2009 25th anniversary deluxe version of Whitesnake Slide It In had the 1987 Whitesnake87 era cover of Need Your Love So Bad on it not the 1984 Slide It In era cover of it. They recorded it as a b side twice.

JasonA and Mollusk like this.
  23. tug_of_war

Pink Floyd's "A Nice Pair" includes the live version of "Astronomy Domine" instead.

For those who may be wondering, that album is a repackaging of their first two studio albums.

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

In 2000 I grabbed the remastered "expanded edition" of Little River Band's Greatest Hits, as it added additional tracks from the previous CD release. Plus, I didn't have any LRB in my collection. Little did I know that the first pressing had the wrong version of three songs:

Greatest Hits (Little River Band album) - Wikipedia

"Take It Easy On Me" has Wayne Nelson singing lead, rather than Glenn Shorrock.
    "The Night Owls" has a MUCH heavier guitar sound and mix.
    "Man On Your Mind" has a horn section part that was removed from the official version.

Not having heard any of these songs in years, it took me a while to realize the differences. To this day, I still prefer the "heavy guitar" version of "The Night Owls" that leaked out on this "unauthorized" version, rather than the official one.

25. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I know it's longer but I thought it was the same take. It's not just an early fade, whatever it is. I don't have my CDs handy but I can try to do a comparison later.

Shawn and Mollusk like this.