Wrong / Alternate Tracks Used In Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Jun 9, 2022.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

One of the Japanese cd versions of the Rolling Stones It's Only Rock 'N' Roll used the speed corrected version of Fingerprint File instead of the faster version most people are familiar with. It was intentional though

Mollusk likes this.
  2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Van hates everything he's recorded before it's even mixed and mastered, hence the multiple reissue campaigns that have started and died before they gained momentum. So I wouldn't put any stock into Van's lack of comment on the matter. :laugh: I will say that I do like the effect on the horn on the "wrong" mix, moreso than the one that was intended for release – but hey, it's "Into The Mystic", you would really have to try to make that song not great.

3. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I listened to this one recently. The only thing I noticed different about it were the lyrics in the first chorus. I don't care much for that version. The original's chorus is better.

ARK, Mollusk and AppleCorp3 like this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The longer Slave is superior.

Lewisboogie, wayneklein and Mollusk like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And of course "Star Star" has been reissued a few times with censorship in different places (though never on the F-word). The most recent deluxe version is completely uncensored.

wayneklein, Mollusk and John Fell like this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It uses the short Slave. As for Luxury, I don't remember, but the shm has a slightly longer Time Waits for no One and a true speed Fingerprint File.

Mollusk and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  7. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I believe that’s the one. I wish I knew how to identify one of these copies sealed.

Mollusk likes this.
  8. InStepWithTheStars

Thanks! So the SHM Tattoo You is true to the original LP while the two remasters use the longer version. Good to know! :righton:

Mollusk likes this.
  9. InStepWithTheStars

Here's one I forgot about. The 1990 EMI double-CD The Complete Animals uses analternate take of "Dimples", identifiable by its first line being "I like the way you walk" instead of "I love the way you walk". For years, a rumour has persisted that this alternate version was on the original UK debut while the other version (available on The Singles Plus) was the US MGM album version. This is incorrect; both albums used the version that starts with "I love the way you walk", and this alternate version on The Complete Animals was previously unreleased.

Also, it's off-topic, but their version of "I'm In Love" (or sometimes "I'm In Love Again") is always credited to Fats Domino and Dave Bartholomew, but it's actually a cover of "In The Morning" by Jimmy Reed. It has no bearing on the thread, but since I corrected one common Animals misconception, I thought I'd correct another. Carry on! :agree:

Adam9, MerseyBeatle and Mollusk like this.
  10. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident

Not sure if mentioned but CD release of Sly & the Family Stone's Fresh album uses several alternate mixes not on the original LP. Some vastly superior, like Babies Making Babies for example. Some but not all were included as bonus tracks on the digipack reissue. The original CD issue is essential for all fans of Sly.

Mollusk likes this.
  11. Forlornicus

Forlornicus Forum Resident

About one of Fresh's tracks - 'Skin I'm In' - d'you know if a decent stereo mix has ever been released with the FULL mix. The official album (full) mix sounds really murky and, if it's not mono, it's the worst stereo mix ever made. On the digipak reissue you mention there's an "alternate mix" but, on this mix, while the overall track is stereo and sounds free of the mono-murkiness of the original, it's missing the backing vocals. Such a shame; it's one of my favourites on the album.

Mollusk likes this.
  12. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

The Shadows' 50 Golden Greats (2000) has an undubbed version of Wonderful Land. While I always felt the strings and French horns were a bit too much, it was their biggest hit, and the hit version should have been included.

Mollusk and Jarleboy like this.
  13. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Actually, the original "Even Now" vinyl had neither the longer disco version nor the shorter single version (which didn't exist at the time of the album's release) . The original album version was a different mix which ran just over 4 minutes, whereas the later shorter single version ran 3:48.

14. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Bob Marley And The Wailers' Complete Wailers Volume 2 has the 'version' of Give Me A Ticket used twice in error (which just consists of backing vocals). The correct Peter Tosh sung version is only on a subsequent JAD/Universal box set. JAD/Universal's compilation of pre-Island Tuff Gong singles, 127 King Street frustratingly has the 1968 Wail N'Soul M' version of Don't Rock My Boat instead of the 1971 Tuff Gong version. More than one release has accidentally used the version of "No Sympathy" as the final track on "Soul Rebels", when the original album included the version of "400 Years" (which was confusingly titled "My Sympathy").

The Island Masters CD of The B-52's self-titled has the 7" version of 6060-842 replacing the album version (it has different vocal mixing) as well as a version of Downtown with a longer fade than the other versions of the album.

The 1999 Remaster of Roxy Music's Manifesto is supposed to have reinstated the original album version of "Dance Away" on it but reuses the single version. The Complete Studio Recordings box, meanwhile, uses a mix of Virginia Plain that is not the released mix and sounds noticeably rough.

ARK and pablo fanques like this.
  15. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

The 2006 Legacy CD of "Mott" by Mott the Hoople has a previously unreleased, inferior mix of "All the Way from Memphis".
    It was also used that same year on "The Journey: A Retrospective of Mott The Hoople & Ian Hunter".

16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Some very early copies of Van Der Graaf Generator's first album "The Aerosol Grey Machine" had an song called "Giant Squid" on Side Two, and left off "Necromancer", which Mercury released as a single.

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine

There were both WLP and stock versions. It was quickly and silently reissued, again both as WLP and stock copies dropping "Squid" and adding "Necromancer"

Van Der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine

Both versions in both promo and stock issues list "Necromancer" on the cover and label, the only way to tell them apart without playing the record is by the matrix number on Side Two.

"Giant Squid" was released as a bonus track on the Fie label CD of the album.

17. MednaTheFox

MednaTheFox Well-Known Member

Come Together (2019 Mix) has a couple extra overdubs near the end. The guitar pedals are also out of sync.

18. threeheadedmonkey

threeheadedmonkey Forum Resident

Rush - Hold Your Fire. The 2011 reissue used some incorrect mixes. I honestly didn't even notice until someone on SHF pointed that out!

19. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

Cosi Fan Tutti-frutti by Squeeze used many longer mixes on the cd version…which was fine with me.

20. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

From wiki

"In August 2002, ABKCO Records reissued Beggars Banquet as a newly remastered LP and SACD/CD hybrid disk.[54] This release corrected an important flaw in the original album by restoring each song to its proper, slightly faster speed. Due to an error in the mastering, Beggars Banquet was heard for over thirty years at a slower speed than it was recorded. This had the effect of altering not only the tempo of each song, but the song's key as well. These differences were subtle but important, and the remastered version is about 30 seconds shorter than the original release."

Boom Operator, ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  21. The reissue of “Oranges and Lemons” by XTC has alternate mixes for “Garden of Earthly Delights” and “King for a Day” in the 2001 remasters.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have a Track Records version of Tommy that has the alternate Eyesight too.

Mollusk likes this.
  23. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Thanks didn't know that. At what point was it switched to the shorter one? I've never been able to find another vinyl copy (or cd for that matter) that starts with the longer album version since that one in the library years ago

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Was the version of Long May You Run on Decade with CSNY instead of Stills/Young intentional?

25. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Yes

ARK, Adam9 and Jake362 like this.