Wrong / Alternate Tracks Used In Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mollusk, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Both issues of the The Singles Collection: The London Years don't have the original single mix of "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man". The 1989 release has an alternate mix with a louder vocal and harmonica (although it retains the lines which where later censored). The 2002 contains the censored mix. The Rolling Stones In Mono has the original single mix but it runs slow.
    Also, all post-2002 releases have a remixed "Heart Of Stone" in both mono and stereo versions.
    And of course, the Hot Rocks 1 CD on the London label has previously unreleased stereo mixes of "Satisfaction", "Get Off Of My Cloud" and "Play With Fire".
    "19th Nervous Breakdown" has a remixed intro on the post-2002 releases except for The Rolling Stones In Mono which has a completely remixed track.

The early PRT and Castle CDs of Something Else By The Kinks have remixes of "Tin Soldier Man" and "Situation Vacant".

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The reason for this is that the original stereo mixes have the vocals out of phase; when the songs are played in mono, they become essentially instrumental. (You can very, very faintly hear the vocal reverb, but that's it.) I don't think it was ever concretely determined whether those remixes came about in the '80s or if they were done at the time.

With today's spectral editing technology (à la DES), one could digitally isolate the vocals from the original mix and invert the polarity on one channel. I've attempted it with free plugins, but haven't achieved satisfactory results – I suspect premium spectral extraction software would be required to make this sound natural.

The two "best" (i.e. least bad) digital versions of the song are the 1989 Reprise Records CD (full dynamic range, but from a mediocre-sounding copy tape) and the 2018 HD download mastered by Tim Young (the original tape with nice EQ, but quite compressed and limited). I had better results with my extraction attempts on the latter, for the record.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

According to a very detailed review on Amazon, the original album version appeared on vinyl for the first several months the album was sold so it's likely that there are many copies out there with the original album version.

Mollusk likes this.
  4. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Back in the late 90s, Randy Bachman got ahold of the surviving copy tapes of the pre-Guess Who Chad Allan and the Expressions three albums and released them on CD in 1997 for the first and only time on his Legend label. They got a few things wrong though.

The first album Shakin' All Over originally had a mix of "Shy Guy" with double tracked lead vocals. This track had been previously released on a single in a mix with a single tracked lead vocal. The Legend CD reissue mistakenly included the single tracked vocal single mix.

The second album Hey Ho (What You Do To Me) originally had a newly recorded faster version of "Stop Teasin' Me", a track that had been previously recorded for the first album in a version in a slower tempo. The Legend CD mistakenly included the first album's version in place of the second album's version, thereby including that first version on both CD reissues.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The 1991 Yes box set Yesyears has what I call a mistake with the 1980 track "Does It Really Happen". This track on the original Drama album has a false ending where the band stops, then the keyboards are faded back in and then the full band goes on to close the song with a great Chris Squire solo spot fading things out. The box set version has these keyboards coming back in at full volume at that point which diminishes the effect of the song, at least for me. This full volume keyboard reentry version was repeated on the 2004 Rhino reissue of Drama.

And speaking of those Rhino reissues in 2003/2004, they also got a few things wrong with the original album tracks themselves in addition to the above.

The first album Yes has a track "Looking Around" that, unbeknownst to us until this 2003 reissue, turned out to be edited. The 2003 Rhino CD has the original unedited version that has a couple of extra bars towards the end that were edited out in place of the original album's edit. Listening to these edited bars, the keyboards are just on the edge of losing it, but Tony Kaye manages to just hang on and get back in it. It's easy to hear why these bars were edited out to begin with though.

The track "Our Song" on the original 90125 album has a faded in keyboard intro. The 2004 Rhino CD reissue has these intro keyboards at full volume right from the start.

ARK, Mollusk and pablo fanques like this.
  5. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Thanks, so I'm not nuts for thinking this! :cool:
    Do you have a link for that?

6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

7. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Also to add to this the remastered CD of Bob Marley's Legend recompiled it from album versions rather than single edits, which for the most part isn't that noticeable - but the single version of "Is This Love" was actually an alternate mix with an extra guitar part in the first verse - meaning it languishes on original CDs (or might be on other compilations, I am not sure though).

ARK and Jarleboy like this.
  8. QueenVault

QueenVault Forum Resident

The 1991 Hollywood Records remaster of The Miracle by Queen uses the wrong mix of I Want It All.

Queen in-house producer Justin Shirley-Smith:
    I have made a close comparison between the different versions of I Want It All on the UK, HR and Capital releases of the Miracle album.

1st Chorus UK - No backing vocals - lead vocal double or triple tracked - synth more prominent - no lead Guitar
    1st Chorus UK - REPEAT - with backing vocals and lead Guitar.

1st Chorus HR - No backing vocals - lead vocal with more obvious double or triple tracking and / or vocal FX - synth less prominent / more rhythm guitar - plus lead guitar.
    1st Chorus HR - NO REPEAT!

This HR 1st chorus is not taken from another part of the song - it is a different mix to the UK version!

The version on the Capital Records Miracle CD is the same as the UK one.

Looking at our audio database, it appears that a new mix of IWIA was added to the Album Master on 15/3/1989 but there are various "Album Master" Tapes with earlier dates so I suppose Hollywood records must have chosen the wrong tape.

edenofflowers, Mollusk and Jarleboy like this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Roky Erickson's 'Gremlins Have Pictures' had a different, and quite inferior (sound quality and performance), live version of "Heroin" when the 2005 remaster was done. It also replaced the alternate take of "Interpreter" with the standard single version. Both of these errors were carried over when Light in the Attic remastered his albums in 2013.

Roky's 'Don't Slander Me' album likewise had a slightly different mix of "The Damn Thing" when the 2005 CD was released and also again on the Light in the Attic 2013. The original mix is found on the original LP and CD.

Venom's single "In League with Satan"/"Live Like a Angel, Die Like a Devil" has repeatedly been released on CD with the tracks labelled as the single versions while in fact being the album versions. Even when released as bonus tracks on the album, they are still just the album versions repeated on the disc. I am not aware of the real single versions ever being released on CD.

An old CD of Love's 'Four Sail' used an alternate take of "Robert Montgomery" which was later used as a bonus track on the remaster.

Celtic Frost's 'To Mega Therion' 1985 album had 2 tracks replaced with 1986 mixes that also included some re-recording for the 1999 CD remaster and again for the 2017 remaster.

Mollusk likes this.
  10. FranzD

FranzD Forum Resident

This compilation Various - 40 Hits 1965-1969 uses the 1973 version of River deep, mountain high. It is played in a Nutbush city limits style.

Mollusk likes this.
  11. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

On the Epica album Requiem For the Indifferent, the last track "Serenade of Self-Destruction", used an instrumental version without Simone Simons and Mark Jansen's vocal tracks. Later the track (with the vocals) was made available as a free download and was corrected in the later versions.

[​IMG]

Mollusk likes this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Since it's come up in a few threads, the reissues of Buddy Guy's comeback album Damn Right, I've Got the Blues have a different version of "Mustang Sally". The original version has Jeff Beck soloing almost all over the track, whereas he's barely audible on the alternate version until the final minute.

All the uploads on streaming services have the same new mix (that first appeared on the compilation Buddy's Baddest) except the box set Can't Quit the Blues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCL0t7cO5E&list=OLAK5uy_kViQCMbAwNqGi4zbjZiK7gzE5XgSHpF8g

New mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc2kafiCiE8

If you play them at the same time, you'll see that it's the same take, just a different mix.

Adding onto this, the 2003 remaster of Tales from Topographic Oceans has an extended version of "The Revealing Science of God (Dance of the Dawn)" with an ambient intro before the vocals start. I think this may have been on a box set before.

The Steven Wilson remix apparently included this version inadvertently in place of the studio run-through, while the remix version lacks that new intro.

13. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

The UK pressing of The B-52's "Mesopotamia" included experimental mixes of the songs "Loveland", "Cake" and "Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can". When the band found out they were furious, although for some reasons, repressings included the altered "Loveland".

I don't think any of these mixes ever made it on CD.

I've been told that other songs too are different on that remaster but I don't know which ones.

Mollusk and onionmaster like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Cyrkle-Red Rubber Ball without the organ is the winner!

15. classicrockguy

oh yeah, I have that one on a Shell gas station giveaway cassette from years ago. It was the first version I heard, then when it came on the radio I was like "what's with this organ thing playing"? The one I have is just the guitar, no organ
    What's the story with that one?

Mollusk and Michael like this.
  16. Michael

IIRC, the wrong tape was pulled without the organ due to lack of knowledge of the song?...I have it on 2 CDs...both comps.

Mollusk likes this.
  17. classicrockguy

Thanks, great info there. I think they are wrong about the cd though, every one I've heard is the shorter version. Still it's great to see someone discussing this. I personally like the longer version better, the short one seems a bit crudely edited in some places.
    I wonder what they mean by "blue label reissue", is that the Arista label?

Mollusk likes this.
  18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Lou Reed’s ‘Ecstasy’ 2015 HDtracks release had an alternate mix of “Paranoia Key of E” which was missing the saxophone.

Mollusk and TwentySmallCigars like this.
  19. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Correct although this wasn't UK exclusive, it was also the case with German and French pressings.

Amoepe, Mollusk and Galeans like this.
  20. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

The singer on this non-Holly version of "Love's Made A Fool Of You" by the Crickets is Earl Sinks, not David Box. The latter was only a Crickets member very briefly, nearly two years later, and is only on two songs, "Don't Cha Know" and "Peggy Sue Got Married".

I've always kind of liked the version, with its absurd bumping bass drum and all. It was recorded while Holly was still alive, in the brief interval between his falling out with the other Crickets and his dying.

MerseyBeatle and Mollusk like this.
  21. classicrockguy

Not sure what you meant by that, what happened with the wrong tape? :confused:

Mollusk and Michael like this.
  22. classicrockguy

Another Barry Manilow one, the version of "Its A Miracle" on his II album is different than the one on the GH album, which has a whistle blowing during the instrumental break. Now I've heard a third one on the radio that has no sax solo at the end as well. I'm guessing that was the released single version, but who knows?

Lewisboogie, MielR and Mollusk like this.
  23. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

The first CD release of Fleetwood Mac's Tusk has an alternate mix of "I Know I'm Not Wrong" with added vocals and percussion. Subsequent remasters reverted the track to the original LP version. I personally prefer the remix. The original just seems unfinished.

Regards,
    Dave

ARK, Lewisboogie and Mollusk like this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

When I picked up a CD copy of Heads and Tales by Harry Chapin, I was appalled at what they had done to the opening track, “Could You Put Your Light On Please”. On the original LP it starts out as a subdued acoustic piece that gradually builds into an emotional tour de force. The version on the CD sounds like a finger-snappin’ country ditty, and is totally inappropriate.

Mollusk likes this.
  25. Michael

the organ was an overdub...no organ on the tape used for the CD comp!

Mollusk likes this.