DCC Archive www.SteveHoffman.tv updates!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update: I got mail from Steve last night, with a "wow" of an update:

I'd also like to announce the creation of the Official Steve Hoffman Music Forums! Blessed by Steve, this will be the best place to have your questions to SH answered. Note that this is not replacing the DCC Forums, which will continue to exist, but we do want the new forum to be the hippest place to talk about music!

One of the features of the new forum will be a special archive of "FAQ" threads. This section will, over time, grow to contain the answers to lots of those questions Steve seems to get repeatedly. These will be available in a special read-only archive, and the hope is that new users and the casual visitor can catch up quickly by reading these archived FAQ posts.

There are also lots of nifty features in the vBulletin software that we're using, such as: polling, private messaging, the ability to see who else is online "right now", better (configurable) thread update email notification, and lots more (including the ability to block posts from those users that drive you batty). :)

So please drop by and check it out!
    SteveHoffman.TV – Home of Audiophile Mastering Engineer Steve Hoffman

jeff

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2024
    TheAbsentMind likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm a bit mixed on this one. On one hand, I think it's great. On the other hand, is it really necessary? I mean, we've already got the DCC forum. It kind of seems like just one more place to check. Know what I mean?

BTW, what is vBulletin? Is that free? I know YaBB is, which is also a clone of UltimateBB...

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As my girlfriend just said "AHHHH, not another forum!!!!"

4. Holy Zoo

Luke,

Steve is worried that the DCC forum might be in danger and he wants to be sure it's not cut off in the middle of the night leaving us all high and dry.

The soon-to-be new and old owners are tied up in court "discussing" various issues, and one of them is demanding the site be shut down until it can be "fixed" in a style the new owner likes.

This might take an indeterminate amount of time, and you know how THAT goes. Well, the DCC forum is part of it. It hopefully won't go down, but you never know.

Steve has no say in this matter which probably pisses him off to no end.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Thats interesting. The thought occurred to me that if a new forum is being created elsewhere, that its because this one might go away soon. :(

6. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Well, this answers my question as to why we haven't seen any new discs or new release announcements in so long. I guess I'll bookmark Steve's site and continue to read both until this one disappears or whatever. I only hope that the new owners continue to support us audiophiles and don't join the other mass marketers who put volume sales ahead of quality. I guess only time will tell.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think that the (probable) new owner dislikes Forums in which the customer can speak freely about the product offered.

Probably makes him nervous, I don't know. I hope not of course. But the old MFSL didn't have one, and I just have a hunch that something might change.

I could be dead wrong of course. But the Music Forum at www.stevehoffman.tv is up and running on its own. Give it a try!

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  8. Douglas

Douglas New Member

Methinks the board has already migrated. That was fast.

9. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Most excellent Holy One. Thank you very much.

10. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

HZ,

I am still viewing SteveHoffman.tv as black font on navy background. I get this using both Opera 5.12 and MSIE 5.5. I can work around it by asking the browser to ignore the web site's font, to get black font on a white background.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Note: This problem is not ocurring at the new forum, but is present on the home page and discography pages.

BTW, thanks so much for all the work putting that site together! Great job!

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: justhefax ]

11. DanG

This board has become my #1 stop on the web. I will actively support this community here or elsewhere.

12. Steve Hoffman

Thanks for your support!

Can you e-mail Holy Zoo directly about your SH homepage problem?

13. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I've got a dilemma. How should I use the new forum? Should it be the first place that I check for Steve/DCC issues or should I always go here first? I'm reading so many newsgroups and forums now (photography, recording, music, etc.) that I'm spending literally every free moment I have just trying to keep up. I understand the need for the new site as a kind of "back-up" info platform, but I sure could use some guidance. Steve? Anybody?
    dave http://www.morrisonphotographics.com

14. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Well all I can say, is that I noticed that this board had slowed to a crawl these last couple of days... I assumed that it was because Steve went to CES. But when I went to Steve's new site, I found out where all of the action was! So if you too are wondering where the party moved to, it's at: http://www.stevehoffman.tv

See you there! :D

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Kevin Sypolt ]

15. Holy Zoo

Can you take a look now? I've just added a hack that should work if the background image fails to load.

Also, have you tried doing the following:

1) open preferences, and dump your cache? I think it's Preferences->Advanced->Empty Now

2) quit your browser

3) restart browser, go to stevehofman.tv -- what do you see?

16. DanG

HZ, tried Opera without dumping the cache and the home page, left side, is now fine, white background, readable. Checked discography dcc artist, and each line alternates, grey background, then navy background, all the way down. Dumped the cache, closed the browser, same thing. I'll try it in MSIE if you need me to. Hope this helps.

17. Steve Hoffman

Wow, guess it worked!

Good thing we didn't listen to Luke.

Love seeing Holy Zoo's avatar again..

Ere, Dignan2000, BeatleJWOL and 5 others like this.
  18. Redd House

Redd House If she dont love me no more I know her sister will

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Who was the "new" owner of DCC? Did they end up bailing on buying the company, or if they did, what did they do with it besides not releasing anything new?

20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Try it, you'll like it. :D

21. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Isn't time travel fun! So glad these forums were created back then!

John B Good and wayne66 like this.