WWYD: Wayne Shorter 'Speak No Evil,' MM vs. Classic BN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Denon Destroyer, Jan 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denon Destroyer

Denon Destroyer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was going through my albums and found a sealed copy of Shorter's 'Speak No Evil' from Music Matters (I may have a Japanese copy somewhere as well...). I immediately ordered the BN Classic version during the recent sale. This is a pretty great album, and I would like to have a nice copy, but maybe the Classic BN version is 'good enough' (I've been very happy with them).

What would you do, keep the Music Matters, or sell the Music Matters and live with the Classic BN?

2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I would listen to the BNC and see if you think anything is lacking about it. I’d also do some searching on the forum to see if anyone has compared the two - not sure if you have the 2x45rpm or 33rpm SRX.

If the BNC seems to be everything you would want and there’s no indication the MM is clearly better based on f/b from people who own both, if the $ you’d make by selling the MM makes a difference to you, then you could consider selling it. But you likely acquired the MM cheap enough, so if there’s any doubt, I’d crack open the MM and compare to the BNC yourself and see what you prefer. You could still sell the MM for a lot if it’s NM and played 1-2x and some may even prefer to buy a known clean playing one vs a sealed one that might have pressing issues.

rcsrich likes this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

FWIW, the BNC is excellent…but I’ve never heard the MM.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Just picked up the Blue Note Classic cut by Kevin Gray and the labels on my record are for Cannonball Adderly’s Somethin’ Else. A collectors item no doubt :pineapple:

rcsrich likes this.
  5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Nice- a feature, not an error. :D Great pressing of an excellent album.

kt66brooklyn and curbach like this.
  6. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

If you have the 45 RPM music matters I would keep it and play it. Play the 33 when you're lazy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.