X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Dunno, it would require a lot of story-telling acrobatics to take them out of the corner they've painted themselves into... Didn't they pretty much kill off all the supporting characters except Skinner?

Maybe an actual reboot would be the best thing, as in starting from a clean slate? But then again, would you really want to start from square one again, only to have them string you along for another eight years?

2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

It would have to be tight, with every, or most every, episode being mythology-based. Probably best served by short series, like a series of mini-series, each with both a season-specific plot and an arching story. What ruined the original show for me were: (a) they just added mystery upon mystery, with the goal of keeping the show running as long as possible, until there were so many mysteries you didn't care anymore, let alone be able to keep them straight; and (b) the non-mythology shows, which, although some were good, eventually became 'everything that nutters believe are really true.'

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I beg to differ. The truth always lies with science.

Figures. I worked out as much early on, which is why I dropped it.

boyjohn likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No way, man. That's why i love the show. Aliens, freaks, monsters walking among us!

I wasn't a fan of either movie, although I was a huge fan of the show. I didn't like the "mythology" thread so much -- it bored me except for a few top episodes like "Tunguska" and the black oil. What I liked were the "freak of the week" stories. That gave the show a real "Twilight Zone" "Outer Limits" feel for me. I always prefer a good standalone show that makes you go "wow" and you can talk about at the office the next day. If they want to do a movie, skip the damn mythology and just give me a good monster/freak or alien standalone movie.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    misterdecibel likes this.
  5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I am currently watching the series on Hulu.

Darryl

6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Still waiting for a blu-ray release before I finally re-watch the series.

Didn't the actor who played the Cigarette Smoking Man pass away?

7. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

William B. Davis celebrated his 77th birthday last week.

wayne66 likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

To be honest, I'd be more interested if they put somebody other than Chris Carter in charge of it.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

My mistake. I could have sworn I had read of his passing, but I'm glad to know I was wrong.

10. AztecChimera

The alien invasion was supposed to occur on December 22, 2012, so a project could be developed around that while allowing the actors to appear as their current ages (not dissimilar to how the Twin Peaks reboot lines up with Laura Palmer saying "I'll see you again in 25 years"). Or they could set it present-day, post-invasion.

11. AztecChimera

I'm sure one of the proposals from FOX will include writing a big check to CC to buy rights to the franchise and characters, a la Disney's purchase of Star Wars.

12. AztecChimera

Duchovny is involved with the NBC series "Aquarius" (about the hunt for Charles Manson) and Anderson still has a role on "Hannibal", also on NBC. So those obligations may complicate or delay a revival of TXF.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Squealy

John Neville, an English-Canadian actor who played one of the other government conspiracy characters (the "Well-Manicured Man"), died a few years ago, you might be thinking of him.

14. Tex_Writer

Tex_Writer Well-Known Member

"Class of '89" X-Files set the tone perfectly. If there is some way to get close to this, great.

[​IMG]

15. Squealy

I'm not sure whether they're thinking of reviving it as a short-term mini-series (a la 24 last year) or as an ongoing thing. Surely Duchovny and Anderson would prefer the former?

16. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

I hope they do it, but I can take or leave the alien 'mythology' thing.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, I honestly didn't know about Aquarius. That'll be an interesting show if they can pull that off. My bet is that if they do an X-Files reboot, it'd just be a movie and/or a 13-episode limited series.

wayne66 and Encuentro like this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'll take it. I agree. I can't see them doing another long-term series.

wayne66 likes this.
  19. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

In 2013 on the 20th anniversary of the series premiere Duchcovny and Anderson were interviewed about reviving the series. Neither one seemed too interested in doing the series again. They both wanted to do a movie. I think Duchcovny would be more reluctant to do a series full time. I would love to see a 13 episode limited series, perhaps with the option to do more of them if they are happy with the results. It seems that shorter seasons are the wave of the future. More actors seem willing to do it instead of the standard 22 episode season.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I liked every episode except for the series finale.

I look forward to more episodes if they do happen.

21. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Can't anyone leave anything alone anymore?

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Honestly the X-Files mythology is such a convoluted mess at this point, they'd be better off with a complete reboot with a new cast. They should have shorter seasons with an overall story arc that is at least roughly sketched out to avoid making things up as they go along and painting themselves into corners.

Vidiot and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Well, it didn't work out great with Robert Patrick and that brunette woman...

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Ratings wise, no it didn't work out, but I still enjoyed the show.

MarkO and wayne66 like this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think it would be the same thing. That kind of failed because they were trying to airdrop in two new characters into an already-established show "universe" to replace two beloved characters. If they started from scratch again they could build two new beloved characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.