X-files reboot?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

What a mess. I certainly won't be watching anymore. I watched some of Season 10, including the last episode and I was like meh. So decided to see what season 11 had in store for us. Just a torrid mess of awful dialogue, the Mulder voice-overs were as bad as the theatrical cut of Blade Runner. This series should have been tied up in Season 7 with maybe an occasional movie. RIP X Files 1993 - 2000, was sure nice knowing you.

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I haven't enjoyed anything related to the X-Files since the first movie. Glad I didn't miss anything by not watching this.

3. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Yeah the first film was a high for sure.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I liked the new episode, but what's the deal with Spender??? Someone else commented on this, but the last time we saw him, he looked like a burnt pizza! Now he looks perfectly normal and is a nice person? I did like the new intro sequence where "I Want To Believe" switches briefly to "I Want To Lie". If you blinked you missed it.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I fell asleep during the episode. Hopefully they get better.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with you about those episode and many other mythology arc episodes that came after, and I agree that the conclusion of season 8 would have been a fitting conclusion to the series. There were at least two moments in the series in which Chris Carter could have ended the mythology arc: the Two Fathers and One Son two-parter in season 6 and the conclusion of season 8. The fate of Mulder's sister would have been left dangling after Two Fathers and One Son, so I suppose that the conclusion of season 8 would have been best.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The idea was funny, but the bad VFX made me wince.

They also missed a trick in the flashbacks: the Smoking Man was also the guy who pulled the trigger on JFK in Dallas, but only die hard fans remember that. Now he's Mulder's father AND the father of Scully's child. It's only a matter of time before Mulder realizes he's his own grandpa.

BGLeduc likes this.
  8. Love the x files hated the last reboot. This first new episode was awful. Lazy and a mess.

Bring back Hank Moody.

9. Lynch outshined this mess.

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I thought last season was mixed bag, but mostly in a decent way - they always had a couple silly fun episodes and last season did that too. I expected one single complex story arc to encompass the whole season and was glad they didn't do that.

This first episode of the season though....yeah, a mess. Maybe it makes sense later on but it sure looks like it's "make it up as we go along" at this point with no proper plot structure at all.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

tonight's show (1 -10 - 18)

mulder to scully, "you said taint!"

classic.

Rocker likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

another exchange, paraphrased because my memory is ****:

scully, "you do pretty well with your hands handcuffed behind your back"

mulder, with a smile, "you already knew that"

scully smiled back

Rocker likes this.
  13. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Hey, the second episode was pretty good.

After last week I had no expectations going in.

Thanks Glen Morgan.

Motorcity supernaut and vince like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And Wednesday it was announced that Gillian Anderson is quitting after the end of this season and will no longer be playing Dana Sculley...

“Why? There’s lots of things I want to do in my life and in my career,” she replied. “It’s been an extraordinary character, but there’s lots of things to do and I don’t want to be tied down doing one thing.”

“It wasn’t suggested that now is a new series,” said Anderson to the TCA press corps. “But I’m serious. I’m finished.”

Gillian Anderson On Why This Season Of ‘The X-Files’ Is Her Swan Song: ‘I’m Finished’ – TCA

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I wonder if it’s just going to be David alone once Gillian leaves.

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I enjoyed last night's episode because it was nothing I expected. Liked it better than the first episode last week. Hate that she is leaving, I just read that she is also leaving American Gods (which I had never even heard of). https://411mania.com/movies/gillian-anderson-not-returning-american-gods-season-two/

But last night's episode was a fun watch.

As for last season my favorite part was Mulder's cell phone ring tone!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Lownote30 likes this.
  17. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Gillian Anderson leaving is only a "big deal" (to me, relatively speaking) if Chris Carter has yet again left the series hanging at the end of the season with no clear resolution.

I hope he had the foresight this time to not assume he'll get to make more shows.

Back to Gillian Anderson, does she have so much pull these days that a couple of months of work potential in the next year or two doing some X-Files is really such a big deal/demand on her career? Feels like a bit of a play to me.

18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The fact that Gillian Anderson went from being presumably excited to reprise Scully to "I'm over it" after shooting only *16 episodes* across TWO seasons and over the span of seemingly over two years tells me she isn't that into this thing and probably wasn't from the get-go. I appreciate that she has said it's kind of "for the fans", though she's getting a nice little paycheck as well I would imagine.

Neither Anderson's nor Duchovny's performances last season or this season have been particularly compelling or energetic. I think they're kind of like an old band doing a solid-but-not-great reunion tour.

As for Anderson quitting again, it may all be moot as this season's ratings aren't that great anyway. And it isn't as if this newest headline is earth-shattering. Anderson has been saying over recent weeks/months that this is it for her on the show.

19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

And I'm sorry, but last night's episode was a MESS. Worse than last season's "standalone" episodes.

I appreciate that they tried to weave a bit of "mythology" into the standalone episode by having that Barbara Hershey character turn up again, but it made zero sense. What does her character running some sort of evil government contracting company that uploads minds into the cloud have to do with working with that pseudo-syndicate guy from the last episode trying to find and kill the CSM?

Did she really say when someone uses a smartphone it downloads and uploads a piece of their mind? Did they really write that? Professional writers?

Didn't she and the other guy talk about some sort of terraforming and inhabiting other planets in the last episode? But in this new episode, now we're uploading people into mainframe computers so they can live forever? Except they don't know who they are or that they're in a simulation? Except Langly, who for some reason figured it out? What?

This episode was proof Chris Carter isn't the only one who need to step aside for better writers.

This one came across like someone was at a story meeting and scribbled "Langly is stuck in a computer after dying and having himself uploaded into a computer", and then they gave the episode the green light but didn't actually flesh it out at all.

They're trying to run this show off the fumes of the goodwill and nostalgia of liking Scully and Mulder's characters. But it isn't enough, especially when Anderson and Duchovny are doing professional but rather "sleepwalking" status work.

At this stage the Mitch Pileggi performance and Skinner back story stuff is more compelling and interesting. Though even that stuff didn't make much sense; Scully and Mulder are active FBI agents but have people trying to kill them and Skinner basically says "Meh, whatever."

And, if Scully and Mulder worked X-File cases last season, why is it only now that they're discovering that the X-files were digitized by an outside contractor YEARS ago?

Also more in the category of amusing rather than super annoying was how they're using "Liam Neeson/Taken" style editing to try to depict Mulder and Scully duking it out with bad guys. Super quick cuts instead of just hiring better stunt people, I guess?

I also noticed that some of the early scenes were *way* too dark. I know it has always been a "dark" show, but the graveyard scene was darkened to the point of being incomprehensible.

I sense it might still get a little better. I still dig that the show is back. But I'm honestly stunned with how they've learned *nothing* from the reviews from last season. I'm stunned Fox gave a green light to the stuff and didn't suggest Carter get another showrunner/set of writers. They should have just cleaned the slate, kept Carter as a "consultant", and hired the people who wrote "Fringe" or something.

Is anyone here familiar with Neil Breen's "Fateful Findings?" This show is starting to resemble that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  20. I used to love the X Files but I don't know I'm finding it all a bit silly these days.

21. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

I liked the line about the Patriots.

GlamorProfession likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They definitely play it more as a joke/off-beat humor now...

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, right on. I thought it was crap. So many issues going on with this episode, I don't even know where to start. For one, why the F would just shutting down a computer kill a huge databank of software and erase all the "virtual humans" in it? I would buy it if they broke in, shot up all the hard drives, then set the thing on fire. But just shutting it down ain't gonna do squat.

And why are there no security cameras and security guards on that floor? Come-the-F on!

So stupid.

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. Cracked me up, and I am a Pats fan.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.