X (the Los Angeles band) to reissue its first 4 albums starting 2/22/2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RubenH, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident Thread Starter

The first four albums, released in 1980/81/82/83 will be "remastered and reissued" on CD and vinyl starting next week.

I have the original LPs, the reissues on CD from 2001 (with bonus tracks), and the Anthology from about 20 years ago. While never considered audiophile, I'd be interested in seeing if these sound better/different/what-have-you. The official link has no real technical information aside from stating they will be remastered, so perhaps this thread can be a repository for any news or first-hand opinions on their sound and presentation.

Release Dates Set For Remastered X Albums

DocShipe and scotti like this.
  2. The Porterhouse versions seem to have gotten audiophile respect. I'll be intrigued to hear these.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No bonus material so these will not replace the Rhino CDs.

4. RubenH

ah, I had forgotten about those / was unemployed back then so music purchases took a back seat. They're a bit pricey these days, but I'll keep an eye out just in case...

zphage likes this.
  5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The Porterhouse LPs sounds very close to the originals, but I’m glad one of my favorite bands may finally be joining the pantheon of artists whose back catalogs are endlessly reissued!

ejluther, punkmusick and zphage like this.
  6. Anyone pick these up yet? I have Porterhouse of Wild Gift & Black Sun but missed out on Los Angeles.

7. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I'm curious about the Los Angeles reissue as well. I also missed out on the Porterhouse release and am trying to decide whether to try to track one down on Discogs or purchase this new reissue instead.

8. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Those X Porterhouse reissues are gonna be hard to beat. They were pretty amazing, even compared to the original Slash and Elektra pressings. The Porterhouse pressings still out there new at retail prices if you are willing to poke around a bit. I can't imagine these new ones are gonna equal or best those, although anything's possible.

9. davers

davers Forum Resident

I didn't see a specific CD reference in that press release...or did I miss it?

10. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I have the Porterhouse reissues. Can see how they can be improved upon.

RubenH likes this.
  11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Unless the following is wrong, it looks like the Los Angeles CD will be out March 15...

https://www.amazon.com/Los-Angeles-...es+fat+possum&qid=1550960438&s=gateway&sr=8-1

And Wild Gift on March 22...

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Gift-X/...ft+fat+possum&qid=1550960664&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Under the Big Black Sun April 12...

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Big-Bl...un+fat+possum&qid=1550960787&s=gateway&sr=8-1

davers likes this.
  12. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I picked up the Los Angeles vinyl yesterday and it seemed to be a pretty clean version. I have the an original Slash vinyl, (but played to death, and now framed with John / Exene Signatures) the original Electra CD's, as well as the Rhino CD deluxe reissues. It didn't seem too loud or over blown. I will leave judgement to those with higher end systems and more critical ears.

stefane and Joti Cover like this.
  13. RubenH

I was referring to the CDs that came out in 2001; you're correct in that the upcoming releases don't mention the CD format.

Edit: I see above in #11 that there will indeed be CDs as well.

davers likes this.
  14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

This is a good thing, hail and a big cheer for X, love'm.

ejluther likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Discogs has all four for well below 20€. You think this is "pricey"? But I remember selling my Rhino "LA" reissue for a ridiculous amount a couple of years ago after I finally found a Slash original so prices may have dropped.

ATR likes this.
  16. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Big X fan.
    Used to get excited whenever a new “remaster” of a favorite album was announced. Now I just get nervous.

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Nice, didn't know about this, and I just came back from L.A. where I was listening to X almost non-stop. (Felt like an appropriate listen given my location.)

First four are impeccable, and Wild Gift alone is not only my favorite for the music but also for the album cover. If they do anymore, I'd love to get See How We Are. Not a great album, but a very fine one with at least an EP's worth of flat-out great classics ("4th of July," "You," the title track).

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This. :righton:

Ben Adams, C6H12O6 and PsychGuy like this.
  19. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Another vote for "See How We Are." A solid X album that forever should be part of the canon. Add to the above, "Left and Right," "I'm Lost" ... and I even like "Surprise, Surprise."

20. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I got lucky, but local store got a bunch of old X in a while back and while I wanted to get Live at the Whiskey (for the extra tracks), it had sold already but he still had a super clean original pressing of See How We Are for $18. I grabbed that.

Marc Perman and scotti like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Anyone know of the mastering here? Is it AAA or digital and by whom...The only one I need is Under The Big Black Sun as I have originals of the other three. That album is worth getting just for "The Have Nots"...

AcidPunk15 and bgart13 like this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can anyone comment on who pressed these? IIRC Fat Possum uses a low-end garbage plant to press a lot of their records, so I'm not sure I will bother with these unless I get some info to the contrary.

23. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

Looking forward to more comments on these. I have the Rhino CDs and on vinyl the Porterhouse "Los Angeles" which is great to these ears. I also have an original German pressing of "Under the Big Black Sun", so am looking for Wild Gift on vinyl. Wondering whether to find a Porterhouse or try this Fat Possum version which is out in a couple of weeks.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

No bonus tracks, no sale. I already have the albums.

25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I can't knock the new ones without having heard them, but as I mentioned earlier in this thread it's going to be very difficult to beat the Porterhouse pressings. I say grab those while you can.

MoonPanda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.