XRCDs coming in June - Blue Notes!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

This exciting news courtesy of Joe Harley on another thread about SACDs. Thought I would start a new thread, as this may be of interest to fans of XRCDs. In addition to the below, Grant Green's Matador is a potential XRCD release down the road. :goodie:

Joe is also one of the main folks behind the highly anticipated Blue Note 45 rpm series at Music Matters: http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/team.html

2. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Good news on the Tina Brooks! The JPN 20-bit edition (TOCJ-4041) remains my workhorse disc.....might be time to give it a rest out in the pasture? :) Any chance, Joe, that you'll be in a position to work into the mix a few of the more elusive BN titles as well, like Bobby Hutcherson's 'Live at Montreux' (oop for eons)?

3. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

Will these be elusive disc exclusives or sold at most internet retailers?

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Thanks Joe, keep it up!:thumbsup:

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Facinating! I am very intrigued to hear the Horace Parlan. I have most of the Parlan albums as Japanese RVGs, and the sound quality is variable. It will be great to hear this one in a new mastering.

7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm excited to hear Soul Station.

Why? The circa 1998/99 RVG CD of Soul Station suffered from having the stereo image blended to near mono. Very little separation. Lots of compression too.

I bet the XRCD will be less compressed and have a wider stereo image.

8. deanswift58

deanswift58 New Member

can't wait for another take (hopefully the definitive redbook take) of the "Blue Note Sound"...

9. I'm looking forward to them. :cheers:

10. dee

dee Senior Member

Another Horace Parlan title back in print then. Very good. Just bought the new RVG of Up and Down (with Grant Green, :D) - now Speakin' will be available as well, :).

11. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Not to be negative...but I compared some XRCD's of classical music, RCA "Living Stereo" albums with the SACD's from BMG/RCA, and even the CD-layer simply KILLS the XRCD soundwise. And the XRCD cost me 3 times as much compared what I payed for the SACD.

XRCDs don't give me good vibes.

12. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

As with most things related to mastering, it has much more to do with who is "driving the car" then what engine they use.

I've heard wonderful SACDs and lousy ones. I've heard amazing XRCDs (all mastered by Alan Yoshida btw) and lousy ones.
    :cheers:

13. SR-71Panorama

SR-71Panorama Active Member

Are all the upcoming XRCD titles the same titles as the vinyl Music Matters series?

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If SACD (hybrid) is not an option, they should release them on XRCDs for the collectors, and on 24/96 FLAC files for the audiophiles.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The RVG CD also sounds extremely muffled compared to the 45rpm LP set mastered by Steve. The RVG is a travesty of the original recording.

16. jchristo

jchristo Forum Resident

I'm very glad about all of the recent BN reissue programs. Nevertheless, there are something like 400 great titles in the catalog and we keep seeing the same type of straight-ahead hard bop fare chosen for release. How about some of the more experimental titles by Andrew Hill, Grachan Moncur, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Sam Rivers, etc?

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

If Joe and Alan are involved then I am sure they will be superb.

18. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

When you take the lead on this and start the 'Which Jackie For XRCD?' poll, don't forget to add 'Tippin the Scales'? Best Butch Warren action ever on the title track after AT's solo!!! [​IMG]

19. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Thanks for information!

20. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

that's true but I agree that RCA Living Stereo hi-rez SACDs sound much better than redbook (XRCD) editions.. also Analogue Productions' SACD of Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby for example sounds much more realistic than XRCD to me.

It would be a blessing if JVC started releasing 24-bit/96kHz FLAC downloads or SACDs in the future... they (JVC Mastering Center) have been recently involved in DECCA SACD remasterings together with Esoteric and I must say they really should think about making more as they certainly have great sound engineers at jvc who know how to use the full potential of SACD :thumbsup:

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Well XRCD is just redbook, no comparison to SACD but I will trust Joe and at least try these XRCD's.

22. triple

triple Senior Member

Most LS XRCDs were mastered in Japan (mostly by Hiromichi Takiguchi) from safety copies, while original masters were used for SACDs.

The jazz XRCDs mastered by Alan Yoshida are wonderful.

Goran

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but I think it's related information that Elusive Disc became the exclusive distributor of JVC XRCD products in North America, as of November 2006:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=859

I don't see why that would prevent them from distributing these new Blue Note XRCDs to other retailers. But if they think they can sell all of them on their own, why wouldn't they keep them exclusive to themselves? Will be interesting to see what happens.

Craig(VC).

24. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

It is good news to see BN heading for the XRCD format. Great packaging and now (I suspect) great re-issues on the way.

XRCD can sound wonderful but one needs a resolving player to match.

25. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

Hello Joe:

Are these XRCDs to be sold at regular internet retailers or are they exclusive to elusive disc? Great news BTW!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.