XRCDs coming in June - Blue Notes!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, May 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topanga

Topanga New Member

Dear MemoinPR, thanks for your welcome! Yes we will offer a subscription for the first 25 Titles...complete list coming soon. We have a website www.audiowavemusic.com up now with just a small page announcing we are putting these albums out. hope to have full info up on site this month. We have no plans to limit production on these titles...as a dedicated jazz lover I would like to expose everybody and anybody to these great albums...someone was kind enough to enlighten me many years ago and one of my goals with this Blue Note XRCD project is to spread the word about these great artists and their music!

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Bob & Joe,

May I suggest a title for consideration. Kenny Burrell recorded a Blue Note session shortly after Midnight Blue (circa 1964) called "Freedom."

I think "Freedom" may have only been issued in Japan on the King label.

It has never been issued on compact disc in any country that I am aware of.

Have either of you heard "Freedom" and is the session good enough for an audiophile XRCD? I have not heard the session, but given that Burrell was at a peak during this time period and that it contains similar personal to Midnight Blue, I am intrigued.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Toshiba/Blue Note CJ28-5059

4. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Hi Monk,

"Freedom" is awesome, just had it on the other night. We'll consider this one, I promise you. Might take a while but be patient and we'll get to it.

cheers :cheers:

Joe

5. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I've read that some years back in time, jitter in CD manufacturing was a problem. Then JVC/XRCD adressed this problem in the production prosess. Today, nearly all of the CD production facilities make use of the same technology from JVC, so that jitter in CD production is no longer a big issue.

6. monkboughtlunch

7. monkboughtlunch

http://www.jazzdisco.org/blue-note-records/catalog-toshiba-king-series/

Thanks!

I've read that the "Freedom" Blue Note session contains the original version of his famous composition "Loie." Over the years this song has become a minor jazz standard.

The value add of the original Blue Note version is that it doesn't feature Creed Taylor produced overdubbed strings as heard on the later recorded Verve "Guitar Forms" version of Loie.

It's mind boggling that Freedom was only issued briefly in Japan as an Lp on the King label about 25 years ago--especially since the Burrell / Turrentine chemistry on Midnight Blue is legendary!

Here's the session info I found online:

GXF 3057 Kenny Burrell - Freedom
    Seldon Powell (bars, fl) Hank Jones (p, org) Kenny Burrell (g) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)
    Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 27, 1963
    tk.13 The Good Life
    tk.21 Stairway To The Stars
    tk.27 Loie
    Powell plays (ts) Jones plays (p)
    Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 2, 1963
    tk.35 I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You
    Stanley Turrentine (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (b) Bill English (d) Ray Barretto (cga)
    Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 22, 1964
    1449 tk.2 Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere
    1450 tk.20 Freedom
    1451 tk.25 Lonesome Road
    1452 tk.31 G Minor Bash
    1453 tk.42 K Twist
    ** also issued on Blue Note (J) GXK 8170.

8. monkboughtlunch

Found the cover art for Freedom!! I think this was released by King in Japan in the late 70s or early 80s on Lp. This cover design is by Fujiyama. No offense to Fujiyama, but I bet Joe could produce a better cover design given the great work he did on Lee Morgan's Tomcat artwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. monkboughtlunch

Joe

Any plans to reissue more Kenny Burrell 60s non-Blue Note material for XRCD? The Prestige "Soul Call" XRCD from 2004 was awesome!

There's an incredible Burrell Cadet title that is currently out of print. This one is a monster!! It's called "The Tender Gender."

Not sure who owns the Cadet catalog now for licensing. Maybe Verve?

[​IMG]

10. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

For a taste of the sessions on CD you can check out the KB entry from Blue Note's The Artist Selects CD series that came out in 2005, it has the songs "Freedom" and "Love Your Spell Is Everywhere." "Loie" was on a little harder to find CD from Japan, a mini LP part of the The Best Of The Blue Note Years series, the KB one is a very nice CD.
    Also, Cadet was part of the Chess empire which is now owned by Universal. You might still be able to find the "Soulero" CD which has all of The Tender Gender and most of Ode to 52nd Street.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

For Along Came John, only in so far as it relates to the RVG remastered domestic version, the image, imo, is a solid stereo one, not collpased to mono, imo. It does of course sound like it employs the requisite dose of both noise reduction and limiting. Despite that, I find that particular disc an enjoyable listen, perhaps because the negatives are somewhat offset by what sounds to me like the excellent recording itself, as in the instrument balance, and a decent enough, for me, eq.

I find the the domestic RVG cd of Here T'is, if I recall correctly, being a wee bit more problematic, with regards to sounding closer to collapsed mono. Despite that shortcoming, and what sounds like more noise reduction and limiting, this is another cd I can enjoy listening to, in small doses.

Both sessions, though, sound as if they would make for excellent reissued audiphile releases, and I think both may be part of the SACD series?

The Cool Struttin' cd makes a fine candidate for an audiphile mastering too. The RVG cd of that one, is just too brassy and reedy for my ears.

12. monkboughtlunch

There is no domestic RVG of Along Came John. Only domestic was a Ron McMaster.

13. dee

dee Senior Member

:), :righton:.

14. dee

dee Senior Member

Fwiw, I have the domestic McMaster Latin Bit, and while again it sounds to me like it has both noise reduction and limiting, it does have a nice stereo image, and I find it an enjoyable listen. I think that there now is an RVG remastered edition as well, but I am happy enough with the McMaster. Obviously, if the title is available as an audiphile release, it would be a good one to listen to.

15. william shears

william shears Senior Member

'Loie' is a fabulous song. Ike Quebecs version is wonderful. Kenny Burrells version for Blue Note can be found on the '95 'Best Of Kenny Burrell' US CD....

16. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I haven't heard the McMaster version, nor any other version than the Japanese RVG - I think it has been reissued in a non-RVG version in Japan. I'd like to hear another version. The JRVG just sounded muddy and awful to me - perhaps it it a limitation of the source tapes. I wasn't game to spring for another version for fear that I would remain disappointed.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Latin Bit was issued in Toshiba's non-RVG "Blue Note Works" series in the 1990s, TOCJ-4111.

18. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Didn't realise 'Meet' XRCD was done by Yoshida, agree it is a great disc - looking forward to this new series!

19. triple

triple Senior Member

There were 2 APO Gold CD's.

Goran

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct, there were two non-SACD APO gold CDs, one mastered by Bernie Grundman and one mastered by Doug Sax. Sax also mastered the later APO hybrid SACD.

21. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Forgot about that. Mine was by Doug Sax.

22. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

Joe,

How many copies of each title will be pressed?

23. MemoInPR

MemoInPR SeƱor Memo

Sgt. Pepper:

On a previous post I asked Bob Bantz (forum member Topanga), owner of Elusive Disc and Audio Wave, the same question and he replied the following:

Yes we will offer a subscription for the first 25 Titles...complete list coming soon. We have a website www.audiowavemusic.com up now with just a small page announcing we are putting these albums out. hope to have full info up on site this month.

We have no plans to limit production on these titles...as a dedicated jazz lover I would like to expose everybody and anybody to these great albums...someone was kind enough to enlighten me many years ago and one of my goals with this Blue Note XRCD project is to spread the word about these great artists and their music!
    :righton:

24. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

Right now we're just concentrating on Blue Notes....and that's a very full plate for the time being!

cheers, :cheers:

Joe

25. Topanga

Topanga New Member

More info on Blue Note XRCDs at Audio Wave website

Dear Fellow Blue Note Lovers,
    We have updated information on our website http://www.audiowavemusic.com about the Blue Note XRCD project. Please check it out. Also good news on Cool Struttin'! We believe we have found the correct tapes for Royal Flush and Lover so we can add these 2 songs to the Cool Struttin' XRCD. I will keep you posted as we will be listening to these tapes in mid June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.