XTC and Steve Wilson's next release tease?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DonnyMe, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident Thread Starter

Andy Partidge Tweeted this Saturday 5/19:
    "Been signing postcards, lots of them, this morning and enjoying some Ramones. I love that band, hadn't heard them in a while."

Could the next XTC / Steve Wilson remix be on the horizon? I sure do hope so.

Edit: And followed that up with this:SUNDAY- Woke having a nose bleed (another!). Signing more postcards while listening to CAN The Lost Tapes. In shed after lunch.

richierichie likes this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Maybe he's just trying to get his Christmas greetings out early this year...?

DonnyMe likes this.
  3. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

No, I agree that this is a teaser...

This time I'll be in early on the release. Hoping it's English Settlement, though I know that the tapes are reportedly lost. If not that, then "Apple Venus". Wow, will that sound lush in 5.1!

4. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I think The Big Express is up next for the 5.1 etc treatment.

rstamberg, bluerondo, jamesc and 6 others like this.
  5. DonnyMe

Regardless of what gets released next, are we still not winners? Bring it on!

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Not a huge secret. On April 14th of this year, Andy tweeted "Off to the shed to hear Steven Wilson's first 2 mixes for next XTC 5.1 project."

JediJoker and DonnyMe like this.
  7. gohill

gohill Senior Member

The Big Express would be great. Very underrated because of the excellence of the albums around it. Still a real shame the tapes for English Settlement are by all accounts missing. Would be amazing if they'd turned up.

8. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I hope it's Big Express. I've enjoyed all the remixes, but when they announced the series a few years ago, Nonsuch and the Big Express were at the top of my wish list.

DonnyMe, midniteinsanjuan and ted321 like this.
  9. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

How many have been done thus far, and are they the preferable versions now?

10. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I thought I read somewhere about apple venus being confirmed as in the works.

DonnyMe likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Big Express would be fun but I’m hoping for Mummer.

12. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

"Wake Up" in 5.1 would be a trip.

13. Derek Slazenger

I think the Mummer multi-tracks are missing too :(

JediJoker likes this.
  14. Derek Slazenger

That and Wasp Star are being readied for vinyl releases. Not sure they're being done for BD yet?

15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I don't think you could get a consensus on remixes being preferred over originals, especially on this forum. With that said, Steven Wilson does an amazing job with most things he touches, and the XTC collection are fine examples.

The five XTC/SW remixes available at the moment are this fan's go-to versions, and even better in 5.1!
    • Drums and Wires
    • Black Sea
    • Skylarking
    • Oranges and Lemons
    • Nonsvch

16. Derek Slazenger

Five so far. Oranges & Lemons, Nonsuch, Drums & Wires, Skylarking and Black Sea. The general consensus is they're that they're all awesome. They contain the original mixes too in Hi-Res.

17. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I have 'em all, I like 'em all. Everyone has nits to pick here and there, but they're all easy on the ears, and you can't beat the value if you're an XTC fan. Nonsuch gets my award for most improved.

18. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

All the A and B sides! Homo Safari!

19. DonnyMe

Me too. One of my favorites! Not choosy though. An automatic buy which ever it is.

steppednwhat and Instant Dharma like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ok . Big Express then. Not complaining.

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I hope it's Big Express. I hate the original mix, rarely play the album. Would be nice to see it saved :)

steppednwhat and Nick Dunning like this.
  22. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

All my money is on Apple Venus Volume 1 & Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2). But anything XTC and/or Steven Wilson is insta-buy, probably direct from the APE store via Burning Shed.

ralph7109 likes this.
  23. Still hoping they find the multitracks for English Settlement, ‘cause I’d be all over that.

Wildgift, JediJoker, izgoblin and 8 others like this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'd say definitely (if you have a Blu-ray player), because the Blu-rays come with a flat transfer of the original mix. So even if you loathe and shun remixes, you're getting the original mix in spotless quality.

On top of that, you're getting what Andy calls "a box set on one disc." Apart from the original mix, new stereo mix, and new surround mix, you get a stereo instrumental mix, B-sides and outtakes, and boatloads of demos, along with a couple of music videos.

Even without a Blu-ray player, the stereo CDs sound fantastic, and most of them have bonus tracks. Skylarking, for instance, has every song from the album sessions, including four previously unreleased. One of those, "Let's Make a Den," was never finished, so Wilson mashed up two incomplete versions and Andy recorded a new vocal (the original recording had only a guide vocal with a few errors. Andy's voice hasn't changed much, so the sound of the new vocal doesn't pull you out of the song.)

25. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Hoping for some Dukes of Stratosphere somewhere along the way!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.