XTC - Best CD Versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I noticed APE released in 2016 also the album 'Mummer' at cd, even with 6 bonus tracks. Is this also a sonical improvement?

2. Do you mean this one from 2014? XTC - Mummer

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I always wondered if the Ape edition of Mummer was remastered, or is it just a straight copy of the Virgin CD.

4. Amazon lists the MP3 downloads associated with this release as "2001 - remaster", but that is hardly conclusive. The fact that Ape House records did not advertise this release as a "new remaster" seems more telling, as this was not the case with their other recent re-releases like English Settlement (original master edition). From the Ape Records site: "Based on the 2001 remaster, this is the APE label version featuring six bonus tracks." I think that's conclusive -the original CD issue is currently the best digital sonic version.

Echo likes this.
  5. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

All of the Ape CD reissues are straight copies of the Virgin 2001 remasters with corrected artwork, except the 2016 Ape 'English Settlement' (new mastering) and the Ape 'Skylarking - corrected polartity' CD.

ad180 and Echo like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Huh? You find the cover yucky?

7. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Yes, sorry for mentioning the wrong year. I see by other reactions I don't need to purchase the APE re-release of Mummer, or I really need the bonus tracks.

8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Photo of someone's genitals? Yeah.

vonwegen likes this.
  9. The bonus tracks are the same but as on the original cd, except they are not located in the middle of the track list.

Echo likes this.
  10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes, not to be confused with the APE 2013 CD remaster done by Ian Cooper /Metropolis

11. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

I can't believe I'm considering rebuying this catalog, for the fourth time.
    1 - original vinyl
    2 - original CDs
    3 - Japanese paper sleeve editions
    4 - new remixes on CD/BluRay

12. So you haven't purchased the CD/Blu-ray combos yet?

13. cbmuir

cbmuir Forum Resident

I should probably just slink out now, hanging my head in shame. :)

14. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

He who hesitates is lost..................:)

Kristofa likes this.
  15. On_the_dunes

On_the_dunes Forum Resident

Don't take me crazy..
    I did a lot of listening this week, to sort out the various versions in my head
    I have the discography in lp (some virgin other geffen), original cd, cd remasters and all the blu ray gone out until now
    The cd remasters are almost brickwalled for the dynamics but the timbre of these is much more similar to the lp than they are the remasters on the blu ray or the cd first print.
    There is no air around the voice and the instruments, which is nice in the vinyl, but the sound is almost the same.
    Now I don't know which of these versions is more similar to the original master, but the "maltreated" remastered cd's are not bad at all

Apples and venus and wasp stars in new vinyl outperforms the old versions

New CD of english settlements (ape cd) it is better than both the original and the remaster

Dukes of stratosphear remastered sounds bad compared to the first print cd
    Obviously IMHO

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Cast Iron Shore likes this.
  16. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I might agree on the new Ape CD of English Settlement. I almost missed it entirely – and just stumbled across news of its existence here.

Just when I think there is no hope with any new CD release, something like that comes along and makes me think twice.

17. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Well friend it just depends how much value you place on music in your life. For me priorities are like this, outside of family and friends, 1. Food, 2. Shelter and 3. Music.. I’m a record executive’s sucker. Any reissue or box set by my favorite artist is an automatic purchase. Fortunately I don’t buy too much by new artists these days so I can concentrate on buying remasters or box sets. On a side note I hope Andy finds the masters to the remaining XTC catalogue so the project can be completed in full.

18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Is there any advantage in the buying the Apple box rather than buying those 4 CDs individually?

Apple Venus, Wasp Star, Homespun and Homegrown

19. Not in my opinion unless it has the Vinyl single rather than download of Spiral/Say It. You can get those on CD on a promo sampler for the box.

JRM likes this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

21. The Ape house is a reissue of the Virgin remasters. I think the Geffen sounds better IMHO. It isn’t harshly compressed.

On_the_dunes and bmoregnr like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

just out of curiosity, you're taking all of those Geffen CDs over the comparable Steve Wilson versions?

23. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Yes, I've come to dislike the stereo remixes, I have no surround system, and they still are missing some live b-sides.
    Plus, half the catalog is still not had new mixes.
    Plus, plus, I'm not enamored with being tied to my TV to navigate the menu.

Best part of the blu-ray are the instrumentals.

24. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

interesting. what's your primary beef with the remixes? I'm also curious if you've updated any of your preferences in the last few years, especially since you did list the Ape House releases for ES and Skylarking.

25. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Can anyone post a waveform of something from the 2016 ES?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.