XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neil wilkes, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I'd be happy to Craig - how do I determine that info please?
    I appreciate my player is quite an old model, so its innards may not be up to date

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Well, I got a quick response from Sony.

Unfortunately, it's a b---s--- response.

Here is what I received:

The link provided is a generic page, titled: "Unable to play a Blu-ray Disc movie." This careless response from Sony certainly doesn't give me confidence that the issues that some of us are experiencing with playing this disc will definitely be fixed.

Sigh.

Craig.

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Generally it involves going into your player's settings/menus, and finding some reference to firmware version. It may be under "about this player" or some similarly-titled menu item. I'm sure it varies significantly from player to player how you can find this information.

UPDATE: I downloaded the manual for your BDP-S380 player, and this is how to find out your firmware version:
    Select the "Setup" icon on the home menu > System Settings > System Information

Looks like for your Sony BDP-S380 player, the latest firmware version is as follows (according to http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab , a link which may or may not work correctly if you go there directly):
    Interesting that your model number (BDP-S380) is very close to mine (BDP-S360), yet your player's latest firmware version is dated 2.5 years more recently than mine (your player's most recent available firmware is Dec 29 2014, while mine is Jun 21 2012).

I wonder if that means that your player (IF it has the latest firmware) received some update that enables it to play a particular disc like this XTC blu-ray, which my player with firmware not updated in over 3 years is lacking?

Craig.

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Thanks for those details! According to Sony, your player has a more recent firmware update available, that they released on Dec 30 2014. It's: M21.R.0164 .

I don't recommend that you update your firmware at this point. Maybe that "M21.R.0164" firmware will actually prevent you from playing the XTC Oranges blu-ray? I certainly would not want you to find out! Just enjoy the disc. :)

Craig.

5. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Wouldn't it be nice if all firmware was available for just this occasion, so you could go back if you needed to. I turned off the updates due to poor connectivity from my service provider. Dumb luck I guess. Hope they can get a fix for you all soon.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

By the way, I should follow my own advice and let you all know I'm pretty sure my Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player's firmware version is "014". (I'm away from home currently, but yesterday I confirmed that my player was connected to the internet, and I asked it in the menu options to check for a more recent firmware and it said I already have the latest version.)

Here's what the Sony site has to say about the "014" firmware version:
    Craig.

7. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I agree! I was thinking I would love to try earlier firmware versions if I could. But I know there is some risk of "bricking" a device if a firmware change fails, so I would be a little nervous about something going wrong (during swapping frequently among different firmware versions) and causing the entire device to become useless.

Craig.

8. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Well, the software version on my BDP-S380 is ' M06.R.0117 '
    I assume that's way out of date, if the current version available (Dec 2014) to download is numbered 0632.
    I confess I bought the player second-hand, and just plugged it in and used it without ever running software update checks on it. It works fine and handles anything I throw at it, which is just regular BluRay or DVD movies, with the XTC BluRay audio discs. I don't feel like updating it, if everyone is reporting problems!

9. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Won't work on my Oppo BDP-80, XBOX ONE - will work on my PS4. Sounds like a major authoring problem.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I wasn't going to play the blu ray until I set up my surround sound, but I'll have to give it a try. :cheers:

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Plays fine on my Sony:cheers:

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine plays okay in my Cambridge Audio 752BD universal player.

13. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Works absolutely fine on my Sony standalone Bluray BDV-E3100
    Firmware version M16.R.0210

14. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I have a Panasonic blu-ray and have an issue with the O&L BR disc. After selecting the Play All option in Video Extras text of a menu appears as an overlay on top of the playing video when the US Version of Mayor Of Simpleton begins (see photo below). The menu can be navigated and items selected using the up and down buttons and ok button on the remote whilst the video is playing! The menu disappears when the video finishes and reappears when the next one starts. The only way to get rid of the menu is to stop the disc. It occurs each time I use the Play All option. The menu does not appear when selecting each video manually. I've never encountered this kind of issue before. It seems like an authoring error to me.
    [​IMG]

15. Kelly Badger

Kelly Badger New Member

The disc will also not play on an XBOX One w/current firmware installed. The Ape logo is displayed and then the screen goes black. To note, my copies of Nonsuch and Drums and Wires both play perfectly on this same console.

16. MrBelm

MrBelm New Member

Works perfectly for me. Sony BDP-S1100, firmware version M14.R.0197.

17. Thomas Abbott

Thomas Abbott New Member

It plays fine on my Sony BDP-S590 with updated firmware, M12.R.0510

18. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

yeah i reported that upthread a bit....authoring issue for sure. oppo 103 here

19. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You can add Oppo 95. It plays but it sounds so distorted that after a few seconds I have to take it off. All of the sound is not really musical, it is like a digital mush of different sounds.

20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I think maybe they meant to say no region coding right, because "All regions coded" is a valid and official setting - ABC. Blu-ray Disc's guidelines state that any title repressed one year after the original replication run must be encoded as ABC, in other words region locking is only allowed for one year on a title.

21. Phan71

Phan71 Forum Resident

Same here. Plays fine on my BDP-S380.

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am not playing games, I am just sending it back. Hopefully they will remanufacture a replacement.

drivingfrog likes this.
  23. Frans

Frans Forum Resident

I'm running my OPPO 105 via HDMI out to a Processor and it sounds perfect. It could be that the room correction software in the OPPO is causing those sync issues, or that you somehow have a setting to change the center channel/voice. Curious.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Sony BDP-S570 plays ok. It's not connected to a display, so firmware unknown but it has not been updated in years.

No luck with my PS3's.

Not sure if Neil authored the new Gentle Giant Octopus Blu Ray, but it plays fine on the PS3.

25. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I've had fleeting problems playing O&L on my LG blu-ray player, but so far, a restart has worked in overcoming the blank black screen I sometimes get. Would be a bitch getting a software update, as it does not have WLAN capability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.