XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neil wilkes, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who on earth told you that?
    You obviously don't shop with us very much (or at all) to come out with statements like that. We've been known to replace vinyl after 18 months for goodness sake. If you want to have a pop at us at least do it with a little bit of truth behind the pop.
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Sorry for getting wound up about this but, hey, I do!
    Burning Shed is a shop.
    We don't dictate how things are made (other than our input that means most vinyl is now manufactured and packaged so that it doesn't cause seam splits which the industry kind of liked us for) and unless it's got our logo printed on the album we haven't made it.
    We don't get special stock - you can buy the same stuff all around the world if someone chooses to stock it. All we do that's special is make sure the bands and labels we deal with get most of the money someone pays for an album, t-shirt, download etc so they can keep doing what they do. That and treat our customers as we'd like to be treated - keeping people in the loop and striving for the very best the industry can provide.
    I know everyone behind the scenes on O&L and Fragile is working incredibly hard to get Sony and Microsoft (because that's where the problems lie) to get their act together and issue some firmware that allows these perfectly fine, compliant and legal discs to run.
    Thanks,
    Lisa (who probably shouldn't read online forums...)

3. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

https://burningshed.com/index.asp?page=terms
    Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting that. I didn't mean anything as a jab, Lisa.

4. Ah - the amazing standard EC terms and conditions we (and ever other online retailer) have to display by law but if we stuck with no-one would ever shop online. The only time I read them is if the law changes.

You've obviously never actually asked us about anything direct or queried anything or you'd know that we bend over backwards for our customers. Sorry but with the anonymity of this forum I have no idea who you are, if we've ever emailed or how often you've ever shopped with us so all I can guess is that we haven't conversed and this is either the only thing you've ever bought or it's the only thing you've ever had an issue with. Still, your post was definitely the best course of action and really helps.

To clarify: there is nothing wrong with this disc that we didn't make. If Sony prove there is and a new disc is made we'll send one to all our customers automatically even, yes EVEN, if that's over the 14 days after receipt limit (LOL)

rstamberg, fredblue and cubbykat like this.
  5. Dowlo

Dowlo New Member

One booklet, but there are short 2015 credits printed on the digipak.

peteham likes this.
  6. Dowlo

Dowlo New Member

I have a content question: the slipcase states that there is a "2015 5.1 Instrumental Mix" on the Blu-ray, but I can only find a 2-channel instrumental mix. Is this a typo on the slipcase?

It's a little tough for me to verify because the disc won't play in my surround setup. What are others seeing?

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've found Burning Shed to be amazing in every respect. And I've ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years.

dennis the menace likes this.
  8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

rstamberg likes this.
  9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

For what it's worth, I just tried to play the new Queen Live at the Odeon Blu-Ray disc, purchased from Amazon.com (USA), and I get the same "Cannot operate this disc" error as illustrated in post #4 . Not sure how accurate that Amazon.com product page is, but it claims that the Queen Blu-Ray disc is "All Regions."

This experience (the same as what I experienced with the Oranges & Lemons blu-ray) suggests to me that I should anticipate more and more new blu-rays no longer playing on my Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player (purchased in late 2009), considering that Sony seems to have abandoned updating the firmware for it in 2012. How do you like that? About 3 years of firmware support from Sony, then a nice "F you, buy a new player, even though mechanically the one you already own may be perfectly fine" gesture of willful obsolescence from Sony. Fooey!

Just reinforces my commitment to avoid buying any Sony products ever again.

Craig.

10. I'm new to the forum, but have appreciated knowing I'm not the only one having issues with the O&L blu-ray. I'm curious - have there been any updates to the situation I may have missed? The Burning Shed site isn't showing any new information and I've been hoping for some sort of update from somebody. Almost been out a month now......

11. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

If this is indeed a firmware issue on Sony's end then I would imagine it's not high on their list of priorities. It's unfortunate, but as it only seems to be affecting a small group of XTC lovers it's not something that will demand their immediate attention. Understandable. Alternatively, we should contact Sony directly rather than posting here in hope of a fix.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Did I see somewhere that some Queen fans were having problems as well with the new Blu ray essentially becasue they had no region code as well ?

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yes, the Queen blu-ray gives me the exact same error message I get with the new XTC.

I posted it about it just a few comments above this one.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ray-clarification.475683/page-5#post-13379863

I'm still considering buying and Oppo blu-ray player to replace this Sony POS blu-ray player, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. As the stack of unplayable blu-ray discs piles up next to my system, I'll be compelled more and more to get rid of the Sony.

Craig.

14. moni

moni Forum Resident

I have just finished ripping the audio from the Blu-Ray and i noticed that the King For A Day 12" Mix has over 9 minutes of silence at the end of it. Does anybody know what's that's about or is it an error?

15. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Would be nice to have these titles from XTC as hi rez downloads and avoid old school physical media completely.

16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Sorry but I disagree. If those Zeppelin deluxe boxes contained a hi res disc it would have been an automatic purchase for me.

17. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I don't follow your logic, I meant that if these were available as FLAC downloads then folks could avoid the Bluray issues entirely.

18. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Sorry, must have misread the avoid old school physical media completely part. My apologies...

jsayers likes this.
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

No problem < was my attempt at trying to be clever >

20. Gregory Sandoval

Gregory Sandoval Forum Resident

It's been nigh on two months since release, has anyone heard any news?

My $.02 - I completely understand why this issue has been laid at Sony's feet, the financial implication of having to re-author and re-distribute workable discs is not insignificant especially with a "niche" release like this. However, fundamentally, if this is not resolved something will have to be done to appease the customers who purchased and cannot play these discs. The bottom line is - regardless of whether these discs are "technically" compliant - they were authored using a different technique, tools, etc. such that they do not work as the earlier releases did. That cannot be argued ad infinitum, someone's gonna have to bite the bullet and make this right.

FWIW, the new stereo mixes sound great - much tighter / less cluttered overall. I'd love to enjoy the surround mixes and video content one day...

Fanil A. and kouzie like this.
  21. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Count me in as one of the frustrated PS3 owners who can't play the disc. Worse is that we picked up an Xbox One for a family Christmas present and several posters on this board have said it doesn't play on that system either (for now). I'm certainly not pre-0rdering any future titles on the label, but will be happy to pick them up once confirmed they play on my existing systems.

Fanil A. likes this.
  22. Fanil A.

Fanil A. Forum Resident

I'd forgotten all about this issue, which is a shame since prior to receiving the cd/blu set I'd been pretty excited. This whole kerfuffle has put me off what could've been a home run. Oh well.

I will not be ordering anything ever again from Burning Shed unless they offer cd/dvd sets. Sorry. Again, as stated previously, my "Drums" and "Nonsvch" work perfectly...see what kouzie and G Sandoval wrote above for more salient opinions.

23. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Burning Shed is a shop, they didn't manufacture the disc. I believe your issue lies with another party.

bobcat, CraigVC and jamesc like this.
  24. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

It was APE's decision to go blu-ray only. Take that issue up with them/Andy. Otherwise, the problems with the discs themselves are on Sony.

25. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I don't use Twitter much, but does anybody know what Andy has said about this (I'm assuming he knows the problems). I certainly wouldn't think he would be too pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.