XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neil wilkes, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Well, he does say John Dent is cutting a 2xLP but doesn't say which album. :)

Can't find anything of late re: O&L.

2. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

You don't have to "use" Twitter, just go to his page and read the posts:
    https://twitter.com/xtcfans

I haven't seen anything regarding the Blu-Ray.

3. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

I'm sure you're right about Andy. This can turn off a lot of potential buyers of this set, and any future releases that he has planned.

4. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah knowing which album is being cut and from what source would heavily influence my decision to purchase O&L as I am not one who listens to non-albumn tracks all that often.

5. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

It seems like they will never fix this problem. I don't believe it's a Sony problem - there are lots of other hardware brands and PC software players affected. Why do the other releases in the XTC series play fine? There is obviously something different in the mastering of the Oranges and Lemons Blu-ray. I certainly won't buy any future releases until I know they will play in most players.

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Hi @neil wilkes , any news?

7. Jordo

Jordo New Member

Hey, any update?? I would still like to play the bluray on my PS3.

If there is no fix for this, I want to just return the disc and get a refund. I could honestly use the money.

8. Gregory Sandoval

Gregory Sandoval Forum Resident

Very soon it will be 2016 and no new updates on this? This is truly unacceptable. Whom do we contact to formally lodge a complaint and receive a refund for faulty merchandise at this point.

This is truly a shame. I, like others, will now think twice before purchasing any more Stephen Wilson / XTC releases. Way to shoot yourselves in the foot boys.

9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Agreed. An update from @neil wilkes would be appreciated.

Signed,
    Confused, Disappointed, and Frustrated

10. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Burning Shed responds to emails quickly. If you have questions, why not ask directly?

rstamberg likes this.
  11. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Because Burning Shed is an online store, not the label.

drivingfrog likes this.
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Then why are they answering my emails with pertinent information?

rstamberg likes this.
  13. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

How would I know??? I didn't buy my copy from Burning Shed so why would I ask them?

This would be the same as asking Amazon why my Warner Bros. CD doesn't work properly (even after Warner themselves acknowledge a problem). Yes, Amazon may have some information from the label that they could share, but wouldn't going to the source be best? @neil wilkes from Opus Productions (who authored the O&L blu ray) has early on been the person to provide updates to the situation. But Neil hasn't provided an update since Nov. 16th. despite various members asking him directly. Even just a "we're still working on it" is better than nothing. The compatibility has been frustrating, but those things happen. But to apparently ignore the situation for the past 6 weeks is rude and angering.

So please share the pertinent information that you've gotten from Burning Shed.

drivingfrog likes this.
  14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Wrong. Neil, who started this thread, is from Burning Shed. They are the label that released this title, via APE. Whether or not you bought it via Amazon or your local mom and pop, Burning Shed are handling the issue.

rstamberg likes this.
  15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'm not looking to get into a pissing match and frankly don't really care who works for who. That being said, here's are two quotes from the other XTC O&L thread where Lisa from Burning Shed contradicts your statements (both posts from Nov 18th):

<<Hey guys,

To everyone who doesn't have a Sony player - isn't it brilliant? ;~)

To everyone with a Sony player - hang on in there. It IS definitely a firmware issue and Neil from Opus and Sony are working on it. This will be fixed - guaranteed. Neil has posted about it elsewhere on this forum: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/xtc-oranges-lemons-blu-ray-clarification.475683/

Please don't send us more emails. They don't escalate things at all - all it means is I spend more time answering individual emails and less time getting shouty with people who can sort things out. One email with an issue means as much to us and our collective insomnia as 100.

Anyway, this is great. Issues with the Sony firmware will be fixed. Happy weekend :goodie:

Btw - we're hopefully sending an email to all our customers later this evening to put everyone in the picture. If you speak to anyone with a copy and a Sony player who doesn't know about it please assure them it'll all be fine.

Bye for now,

Lisa>>

and other stating they did not produce the disc:

<<
    Sorry for getting wound up about this but, hey, I do!
    Burning Shed is a shop.
    We don't dictate how things are made (other than our input that means most vinyl is now manufactured and packaged so that it doesn't cause seam splits which the industry kind of liked us for) and unless it's got our logo printed on the album we haven't made it.
    We don't get special stock - you can buy the same stuff all around the world if someone chooses to stock it. All we do that's special is make sure the bands and labels we deal with get most of the money someone pays for an album, t-shirt, download etc so they can keep doing what they do. That and treat our customers as we'd like to be treated - keeping people in the loop and striving for the very best the industry can provide.
    I know everyone behind the scenes on O&L and Fragile is working incredibly hard to get Sony and Microsoft (because that's where the problems lie) to get their act together and issue some firmware that allows these perfectly fine, compliant and legal discs to run.
    Thanks,
    Lisa (who probably shouldn't read online forums...)>>

I just checked out my blu ray copy of O&L and don't see Burning Shed's name or logo on it anywhere.

So is there any pertinent information you have that hasn't been posted to these threads yet? And instead of continuing to nitpick, I would hope you would at least agree that no communication from Neil (or Burning Shed if you like) in 6 weeks is ridiculous.

Pete Puma and drivingfrog like this.
  16. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I believe Lisa is from Burning Shed, not Neil. Burning Shed are a shop not a label.

drivingfrog and kouzie like this.
  17. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Wrong. Neil is Opus Productions, not Burning Shed. This has been explained before - Burning Shed is a mail order shop that is selling the disc. If Neil is working with the manufactures of the affected players to get the firmware updated (as has been explained before....just read the *entire* thread) then I believe he is. No post here probably just means there is at this point no update to report, and when there is news he will appear here and post it. Please keep in mind the time of year, and that many people and businesses slow down (and take vacation) over the couple weeks, and that because Opus tries to resolve it quickly doesn't mean that Sony will.

bobcat, drivingfrog and kouzie like this.
  18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My apologies, I thought Neil was with Burning Shed. Regardless, Lisa has answered my emails and Opus Productions has a contact form on their page. It's not like you're trying to reach Universal or Warner Brothers.

I will say that I don't think they are to blame for this problem, and the ball is in Sony's court. I doubt Sony will fix the firmware problem in 3 months time, let alone 6 weeks.

19. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

My only concern with it being in Sony's court is that several others forum members have posted playback problems on their non-Sony players. Without going back to through both threads, I'd guess there's around 10 non-Sony BD players that can't play this disc. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Neil has acknowledged any problems with anything other than Sony. I just picked up an Xbox One (which more than one member has stated won't play O&L) and will be hooking it up later today. I'll post my findings when I do.

20. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Also maybe Sony didn't press these to begin with. (I don't have my copy with me at the moment so I can't peruse the disc for a name)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blu-ray_disc_manufacturers

IIRC it was reported that the newest Queen concert disc is having similar issues.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Boy, am I glad I have no issues playing my ORANGES & LEMONS Blu-ray Audio Disc whatsoever on any of my three players.

Tom34772 and fredblue like this.
  22. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Neil Wilkes is from Burning Shed..?
    That's news to me, I'll ask him next time I talk to him!

23. fredblue

Would you be interested to hear how you get on with the Xbox One and this disc.
    Now, you didn't mention it but.. fwiw, I'm not surprised to hear about software Blu-ray players' issues expressed elsewhere here.. rather, the woeful offerings passing as BD software on the Mac OS, have a lot of compatibility problems.. there are a number of Audio BD's that don't play that way in my experience (too many to list in fact).. I do not know if this phenomenon is replicated on the Blu-ray software on the PC but perhaps not, just my experience with them on the Mac, which is not good.. at all.

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My mistake has already been noted and acknowledged.

25. fredblue

Ah, I didn't see your apology.. my apologies :)

ad180 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.