XTC Song of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I obviously didn't expect you to agree. :shrug:

2. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

I would say this is one of my favourites on the album for sure. We're All Light and Stupidly Happy are probably the ones that immediately struck me the first time I listened to Wasp Star, but Wheel and The Maypole is an excellent closer to the last XTC album to date. Definitely a high point to finish on, although Dave Gregory's guitar contribution's are missed here.

I'm glad we still have one more XTC single to go with 2005's, Spiral/Say It, which gives Andy and Colin one last hurrah each.

George Co-Stanza and DiBosco like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's song is "Neon Shuffle"

Interesting song. Like many of those songs on the first couple albums, it is very energetic and upbeat, but I can't say it is one I go back to, really, ever. Not a bad song, just not very notable. Fans of White Music probably enjoy it quite a bit.

4. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

For a "punk" band, early XTC had quite a few songs about dancing, didn't they? Neon Shuffle has a similar groove to Traffic Light Rock, but I think the latter is a much catchier (and therefore better) composition.

This thread is making me realize that perhaps I don't love the White Music album so much as I love the White Music era. Specifically, the CD reissue with the early singles as bonus tracks is absolutely brilliant. I guess they didn't want to rehash the singles as album tracks, but it's a shame they didn't, because all of the bonus tracks (with the exception of Instant Tunes, which I think came later anyway) wipe the floor with side 2 of White Music.

5. MaccaBeatles

I've rarely listened to the first two albums in full, although i'm familiar with most of the songs at this point. Neon Shuffle seems to be one of the best ones on the first album, which says something when you look at it and see it already has quite a few great tunes on it, Statue of Liberty, This Is Pop, Radios In Motion ect.

The highlight for me has to be the bass run Colin does starting at 2:36 in, Barry's spiky keyboard sounds are very catchy too.

White Music/Go2 aren't as good as Drums & Wires onwards, but when you collect up the best songs from the 1977-1979 you can see they're already started racking up some great music, even before Making Plans For Nigel.

Science Friction [A-Side]
    She's So Square [B-Side]
    Statue of Liberty [A-Side]
    Hang Onto The Night [B-Side]
    This Is Pop? [A-Side]
    Radios In Motion
    Neon Shuffle
    Meccanik Dancing (Oh We Go!)
    Battery Brides (Andy Paints Brian)
    Beatown

If there was an album with those songs on it, it would be considered an absolutely classic New Wave album. :)

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. George Co-Stanza

I swear, featuring songs from the first two albums always brings this thread to a crawl, and after just getting it going again. Back to the good stuff tomorrow...:)

7. George Co-Stanza

Today's song is "Yacht Dance"

English Settlement remains my favorite XTC album, and deep tracks like this are a big reason why. This is another one of those XTC songs where I think, "They don't have any other song that sounds like this one." I love that little acoustic guitar lead, while Andy delivers a neat lead vocal in his unique style as always, and all the while, Terry Chambers is laying down a sweet groove that carries the song. What a song and what a band!

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This was one of the songs left off the original Epic US release of this album, so I didn't hear it 'til I found a Virgin import CD later in the decade. Geffen eventually released a US double LP with all the songs.

9. jeremyboob

jeremyboob Forum Resident

Paper and Iron (Notes and Cash).

Genius.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i never understood the futzing with this album. I had the vinyl a lot of years ago and loved it.
    When I got the cd it was weird because of all the extra tracks ... but I ended up loving the whole thing

11. George Co-Stanza

I am sure an album that long back in 1982 was viewed as pretty weird by record companies (concept albums would sometimes hit that length, but those were almost always by bands who were more art rock), so they probably didn't think twice about lopping a handful or so of songs off and releasing it at (what they considered) a more reasonable length, especially since they probably figured a single album would get more sales than a double.

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

yea, it definitely makes sense from that perspective ... it's just somewhat sad to me that the album had to wait so long to be released as it always should have been.... now if they can just find those damn multi-tracks ......

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  13. George Co-Stanza

I have to admit that while I like the SW 5.1's of Skylarking and Black Sea (the only two I have heard so far), I don't have a lot of interest in English Settlement getting that treatment. To me, it already sounds perfect and I fear a remix or 5.1 would take away and/or change certain little moments that I think are just right sonically and mixing-wise. Granted, that is just me, and no one says I have to listen to it, but just throwing that out there. ;)

14. mark winstanley

that's fair. it's by far my fave from the guys, so it is my most desired 5.1 ... but oh well. the only one I don't have is skylarking

15. George Co-Stanza

Skylarking is really good, although it does grind my gears a little that the beginning of Earn Enough for Us sounds less intense & rocking; it's like SW took it all down a notch so we can hear everything, but it takes away from that intensity that gives the song such a kick ass start. Even the pace seems a tad slower.

16. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Yacht Dance is one of XTC's blandest tracks, imvho. The tune never really goes anywhere, and it sounds particularly dreary coming after the ferocious No Thugs In Our House. Give me the Barry Andrews stuff anyday!

17. MaccaBeatles

I find Terry Chamber's drumming mesmerising at the best of times, so I love this track and it's lilting folk melody!
    This is a good example of an XTC track that normally wouldn't wow me but I really think Hugh Padgham's production elevates what could have been 'lesser' songs to greater levels.

You can't knock the song's subject either, which seems to be about overcoming some of the negative aspects of life and not getting too wrapped up in the past,

"No need to look back, through diaries of lost, now turned to dust".

"We will dance like tiny boats with cotton sails
    Upon the tops of the seas
    Made of people stained with scorn
    Who never see the light of real love"

18. George Co-Stanza

Excellent point! This song wouldn't work nearly as well on most of their other albums. The production values used on English Settlement certainly elevated this song.

Pete Puma and MaccaBeatles like this.
  19. George Co-Stanza

Today's song is "You're the Wish You Are I Had"

One of the more interesting songs from that Mummer/The Big Express era. It almost sounds there was single potential there, but the loud and abrasive production of The Big Express took away some of the smoothness that would have been needed for it to have any chance at making a dent on the charts. That said, the production gives the song an edge that makes it a very charming deep track.

misterdecibel likes this.
  20. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

You’re the Wish You Are I Had is one of my favorites. I love all the vocal layering and harmonizing. I think this one is probably my favorite on track on The Big Express.

lightbulb and George Co-Stanza like this.
  21. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

You're The Wish You Are I Had is probably #1 on my list of "Why the heck didn't XTC release it as a single?" ("probably" because Burning With Optimism's Flames puts up some stiff competition). Most XTC songs took some time to really grow on me, but I loved this one from the start. Every time I hear it, I'm amazed by the way that the "wish wish wish wish wish..." part resolves so quickly and perfectly. I still don't know what the title means, but it adds a layer of mystery to the song, which makes it even better.

The BBC version sounds almost identical to the album version, albeit with some subtle differences in the arrangement. The demo on Fuzzy Warbles starts off somewhat decently (though the drum sound is infinitely worse than the drumming on The Big Express) but by the time it gets to the first chorus, it's all gone painfully out of tune (I'm guessing this had something to do with the relatively primitive equipment Andy was probably using at the time).

In any case, I've been a broken record about this, but I do think that the industrial production on The Big Express was exactly what the songs needed, and David Lord really helped them pull it all together.

DiBosco and George Co-Stanza like this.
  22. I loved discovering this song when I bought the cd of ES. It wasn’t included on my lp. The song has a nice groove that fits the album’s mood well.

23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

One of my favorites from the whole XTC canon. Maybe the centerpiece of the album, it works not only as a good song on its own but also contributes to the momentum of the album side as it steams to the end.

24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

One of my faves in their whole catalogue. Seems like a slight acoustic throwaway, but it is so damn catchy.

25. George Co-Stanza

Let's do another today!

Today's second song is "Millions"

While the majority of Drums and Wires has grown on me, after doing almost nothing for me initially, I have never really come around on this one. I like the vibe they went for, but Andy had still yet to his sweet spot as a singer, and his vocals in this are a bit too jarring considering the laid back nature of the song. I can see that contrast appealing to some fans, but it doesn't work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.