Y Kan't Tori Read

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by jh901, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

did i just buy a bootleg?

eBay link

is there a German pressing with that catalog#? i think i reacted too fast.....

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

it would appear you bought a fake...

http://www.xeon-networks.com/blackleathur/yktr_faq/yktr_faq.html

Y KANT TORI READ (Atlantic Records 81845-1, Made In Germany)
    "The German Counterfeit"

The first of the "German Series CD's" is recognizable as a "counterfeit", This CD, (See Figures 4., 5., and 6.), is the "German Counterfeit" version and is not a bootleg. The primary reason that this CD is not a bootleg is because of the incorrect catalog number on the spine, (81845-1) and the incorrect barcode on the back (0 7567-81845-1 2). Both numbers refer to the catalog number of the LP (vinyl record) and not the CD. On the "German Counterfeit" pressings, the number on the physical disc will be 81845-1 and the disc's matrix will read TSD 81845-1. Both of the spines on the jewel case will have the pressing number of 81845-1 in white block lettering on a black background. The back cover will have a UPC barcode number of 0 7567-81845-1 2 at the bottom right-hand corner. Just for your informational purposes, all pressing numbers end with a "check digit" that is used when a record company orders an album in a particular type of format. Usually, when the pressing number ends with a -1 it delineates that it is a vinyl record, a -2 delineates it is a compact disc, and a -4 delineates that it is a tape cassette.

The artwork on the actual disc is also incorrect, missing the trademark black and red rings around the perimeter of the CD that appeared only on the original CD itself. Also, this CD does not have the Atlantic red trademark logo either (See Figure 4.). One can also tell by looking at the cover artwork. There is a great deal of cross-hatching (a remnant of computer scanning) in the reds, and the color of Tori's hair is very orange, as opposed to the red it is supposed to be (See Figure 5.). There is also a blur in the artwork directly to the right of Tori's face. This is from the counterfeiter airbrushing out the promotional sticker that appeared on the cover of the LP.

The quality of the transfer of the CD is very good, except for a blank space lasting approximately 25 seconds at the beginning of "On The Boundary". The songs appear to have been trimmed slightly at the beginning and ending of each song, but unless you are intimately familiar with the album, it will probably never be noticed. Not to mention that the back cover is totally different from the original, (See Figure 6.). In addition as we mentioned before, the spine of the CD has the incorrect Atlantic color scheme and font, replacing it with a white-on-black instead of red-on-white color scheme.

3. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I'll screw this up but a member here sold a sealed copy a few years ago for thousandsof dollars. That's plural. IIRC it was, at least at the time, the most money ever for a single CD on eBay. Anyone else remember this?
    Peace-
    N/t5

4. jh901

i'm such an idiot....

...seller indicated that I will get a refund...we'll see....

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I don't know. I mean if you're a fan and really want to hear the music...
    Believe me-I've done worse.
    N/t5

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's a fake. The '1' suffix in the catalog number is one obvious indicator. CD catalog numbers have a '2' as the format suffix, not a '1'. The '1' suffix pertains to LPs, not CDs.

A second important fact to note is that there are no legit German CD pressings of this album. The only legitimate CD pressing is a U.S. pressing with catalog number 7 81845-2. It has the standard label design of U.S. Atlantic CDs -- red and black rings around the perimeter, red Atlantic logo, black text, and no color coating.

The disc you purchased is one of two fake discs I've seen with catalog number 81845-1. The second one has an orange and green Atlantic label design and has bonus tracks. The legit U.S. pressing has no bonus tracks.

Since the seller quickly agreed to a refund, he might have already known it was a fake and might have been hoping for a buyer who wouldn't know the difference. Had he been shocked by your assertion that it was a fake, he might have gotten defensive and asked you for proof. I have purchased bogus CDs on eBay a few times (I didn't know they were bogus until they arrived), and each time, the seller issued a refund without question. Granted, I never accused any of these sellers of knowingly selling a fake disc, but they still never fought the issue with me. I suspected that they knew what they were selling and feared being ratted out to eBay.

7. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Yes I remember it very well! I have one still sealed myself and at the time was very curious about what it was worth. It sold for 6,000 dollars! :yikes:

8. steeler1979

Here's what an authentic original looks like...here's mine:

Attached Files:

9. jh901

seller quickly provided refund and i sent him the link explaining that he had a known fake....he planned to contact eBay to inquire as to whether or not he could sell it there if he explained what it was....

lesson learned for me....now, if anyone has a spare of the real deal, PM me! wonder how much it tends to sell for these days?

oh, and thanks to all for the advice and to steeler1979 for rubbing in the salt! LOL....

10. KeithH

That's the Real McCoy!

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yes , but do you have the vinyl :)

12. steeler1979

I have the original cd, 4 copies of the original vinyl, a test pressing of the original vinyl, a twelve inch single, a cd single, 2 45's, the cassette, a press kit with photos and a cd still sealed in the longbox....I think that's all there is. Oh, wait a minute and a various artist video compilation with her one and only video she made from the album.

Scope J likes this.
  13. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

You forgot the cassette single. :D

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Amazing collection !
    i just heard the lp yesterday , not nearly as bad
    as i'd heard over the years , i find it more listenable
    than her past few , which to me have become rather
    bland , also like the live versions of Cool On Your Island

15. crowfan

crowfan Forum Resident

HE'S OBVIOUSLEY NOT THAT HONEST, HE JUST RELISTED IT WITH A HIGHER ASKING PRICE.

16. KeithH

Lovely.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

18. steeler1979

:laugh: Sorry bout that

19. jh901

as long as he states that it is a fake, then i guess he can sell at any price....can't see the listing right now, but hopefully the proper descripion is listed...i sent him the link to the FAQ....

and if anyone has the authentic to sell, then pls PM me.....

or at least maybe fill me in on an approx market value....

20. steeler1979

I'm a huge fan of this record. Also Robin Zander and Rick Nielsen are guests on it :thumbsup:

21. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

When I was first discovering Tori, I found that the descriptions of this album were way way off. Nothing wrong with this record.

22. KeithH

Obsess much? :D

23. xsant3

xsant3 Forum Resident

The promo cd single with Phil Collins?

24. steeler1979

Oh, the pain! Can you believe someone actually had the nerve to contact me and suggest that I really didn't have the items I mentioned? Now that hurts :(
    So because I am a man that many times has to see picture proof before I believe something myself, I went digging through the archives to find the aforementioned items. Note that I also included a piece of paper with my Stevehoffman.tv ID (steeler1979) and today's date. The lengths you sometimes have to go through, wow! :D

Attached Files:

25. steeler1979

The Phil Collins/Tori Amos cd promo single is to the left in pics 1 and 2 and I wasn't able to find the press kit, I got tired of looking for it. Included here are the 4 lp's (including test pressing), 12 inch single, the 2 45's, the cassette, the cd, the cd in the longbox and the promo video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.