Y splitter from a turntable for separate MM/MC uses?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by aunitedlemon, Nov 24, 2021 at 9:21 PM.

1. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Music is medicine, dose often. Thread Starter

Most turntable owners know it's a cinch to quickly swap cartridges mounted to different head shells with the bayonet style tonearm. If I wanted the option to choose between MC or MM carts on the fly, mounted to separate head shells, and utilize an appropriate preamp for each respective cartridge, would implementing Y splitters off of my turntable outputs, with lines connecting to each respective preamp, be a terrible idea? I know keeping the capacitance controlled on the MM side is important but are there any other caveats that need to be considered? Is signal interference an issue with different stages on a split line? I would dedicate separate inputs on my amp for the 2 different stages. Is there a particular Y that would serve this purpose best? All connections are RCA at this point though 2 sets of balanced inputs are also available on my amp.

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I could be wrong but it doesn’t seem like this would work with a passive Y splitter. The MM input would have 47kohm load, the MC 100 ohms or something. Seems like the cartridge would see both in parallel, something like 99 ohms.

Seems like you’d have to only connect one preamp at a time. Passive switch box with high quality contacts?

Danmar and aunitedlemon like this.
  3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Danmar likes this.
  4. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

This is going to result in some really strange loading on your carts, since it'll see both phono stages in parallel. Best to just move the cables to the appropriate input when you change carts.

Rick58 and aunitedlemon like this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

6. aunitedlemon

I freely admit that there's a lot that I don't know. In case it isn't obvious...:whistle:

Rick58 likes this.
  7. aunitedlemon

Thanks for the links! A pair of basic Y splitters seemed too easy to be feasible.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021 at 10:10 PM
    Rick58 likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would try to avoid putting unnecessary components into the phono chain.

aunitedlemon and Rick58 like this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Y bother

Leonthepro likes this.