Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Babylon Sisters shake it!

2. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

Home At Last, with its Aja origin and nautical theme, is certainly yacht rock.

3. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

But that's just it—most yacht rock isn't feel-good smooth. It's smooth, certainly, but again the themes are usually somewhat bittersweet. Most have a certain longing or lament. And one of the hallmarks of yacht rock is a surprise in the arrangement; there's usually an unexpected turn in the road. Late-era Dan is textbook yacht rock.

4. LeftCoastGator

Meh, I'm not really sure why; it's benign and does relate to the aesthetic—it sums up the vibe pretty well. I would think "punk rock" or "Krautrock" would be more offensive to most, no?

Gratefully Deadicated and nbadge like this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Sean likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sure spin the 3CD "Yacht Rock a lot, time a vol 2 came out.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  7. LeftCoastGator

Sigh. Yep. That's what I do. Pity my poor soul, I suffer from genre compulsive disorder. (GCD)

painted8, Dan Steele, drh and 3 others like this.
  8. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Southern Cross is 100 percent yacht.

9. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Is Dennis Wilson's "Pacific Ocean Blue" Yacht Rock? Whenever I listen to it I'm instantly transported here...

[​IMG]

Tooth likes this.
  10. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Yup

11. LeftCoastGator

That's another one where— if you take yacht rock to mean literally "nautically themed"—it's lyrically perfect. And musically it is quite relaxing. But in terms of how yacht rock—as a specific genre rather than a concept—is defined, it's not right. It's sleepy, has lots of acoustic guitar, has no jazz or soul influence, no keyboards, and has the signature CSN harmonies—it's more a hippie holdover than a urbane yacht rocker. I absolutely love that album, particularly "Dark Star," but it's not yacht rock.

Duke Fame likes this.
  12. I really don't think of them sounding like "Yacht Rock" until around the Wind On the Water album. I could argue that Carole King & The City were Yacht Rock, though.

13. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

It's not about the soul. It's about the coke.

14. drasil

drasil Former Resident

yacht rock: as equally meaningless a term as 'grunge,' plus gratuitous snark.

ARK, S. P. Honeybunch and Grant like this.
  15. LeftCoastGator

I can totally see why that would seem like a great yacht song, and thematically the escape to an exotic locale only to have your heart broken lyrics are spot on. That said, the sound isn't quite there. It's too meandering, too much acoustic guitar, what sounds like a bit of western steel—it's basically a country song. One of the misconception is that yacht rock has to be mellow and soft, which isn't the case. It has to be smooth, but some of it is quite upbeat. If you listen to Airplay's s/t album—which may be the yachtest album of all time—it's actually really in your face. Smooth as heck, but quite energetic.

bzfgt likes this.
  16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Thank you, Grant! I knew I could count on you!

BoogieFish and Grant like this.
  17. LeftCoastGator

I'd say yacht rock started much later than that. While it's usually associated with the early- to mid-'70s, I'd say yacht really didn't begin until 1977 and continued until the the early '80s. Seals and Croft are very often associated with yacht rock, but I'd argue that they're not. Too early, too folky, too acoustic, too mellow. The only song I can see as possibly yacht rock from them is "Stars" from the s/t album. The earliest song I can think of that might qualify as yacht rock is "Take Me With You" from (the gorgeous) Lyn Christopher's 1973 s/t album, and that's pushing it.

18. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Ahem. The preferred nomenclature is "the fine Colombian." Goes great with the Cuervo Gold.

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

So it's the music you like, just some silly term for it that bends you all out of shape?

20. drasil

drasil Former Resident

colombian is weed, not coke.

forthlin likes this.
  21. Hmm. To me, the whole Diamond Girl album pretty much wrote the book on the genre.

22. Jay Graydon is certainly a practitioner extraordinaire.

RoyalScam and LeftCoastGator like this.
  23. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

How 'bout "Baby Come Back" by Player?

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Ned Doheny sometimes gets included - although writers and fans tend towards 'not really.'

25. LeftCoastGator

Whoa—that is as yacht as it gets!
    I think the issue is that Ned might be considered more Westcoast than yacht; the acoustic guitar and spacey synth are a bit off brand, and the sexy is a bit on the nose. But he's awesome, and "What Cha Gonna Do for Me" is about as yacht as it gets.