Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

A lot of the titles I'm seeing here were just decent Top 40 hits of their day. I'd call it "Top 40 music." ;) And with that I bid you a fond Yah Mo B There.:shh:

zebop likes this.
  2. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, but they're great Westcoast!
    I think to an extent you're both right. Yacht rock did start out as a joke by a bunch of Channel 101 guys—an affectionate one—but it was intended to be comedy. However, the series made a bunch of people revisit the music and start to appreciate it—the sound, the songcraft, the talent—non ironically. And originally, yes, the term "yacht rock" did include almost anything that might be considered West Coast AOR. Like so many things, though, the genre has evolved to a point where it's now pretty specific. Of course, you don't have to give a crap, but on the other hand, you can't pretend it doesn't exist. It does.

3. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's certainly true that us Yacht Rock fans don't take it all too seriously. The ads for the SiriusXM channel are certainly tongue-in-cheek but obviously designed to draw listeners to the channel and it must be working because they keep reviving it.

I guess I see the term like calling something "Bubble Gum Pop". Obviously there's a tone of derision with the label. But who is offended by the label? And we all know what we're talking about when we call something "bubble gum". Calling a song that doesn't make me like it any more or any less. My taste for it is irrelevant to how it is labelled. So I guess I just don't really get why people care and get offended.

And to the poster who said it just sounded like "Top 40 music" to him? Well, a LOT of music is "Top 40". That label does nothing to explain to me what it sounds like.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  4. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I always thought of this guy as Yacht Rock...

[​IMG]

PTgraphics and mj_patrick like this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Thanks for a very helpful and detailed guide to spotting "yacht rock" when it surfaces. The sub-genre that I have the most trouble getting my head around is
    "acid jazz"...which (from what I've heard of it myself) is 100% unlike actual psychedelic-infused jazz like later Coltrane. The "acid" prefix seems like it might
    instead be derived "acid house" music (which was often also not very psychedelic either). Let's just say that I found it kinda disappointing so far,
    considering its rather provocative and evocative genre name.

6. LeftCoastGator

Interesting—I think you're arguing and supporting my point at the same time. That was my point earlier—there really are no exclusively yacht rock bands, per se; they're bands that had a yacht phase. Toto may be among the High Priests of Yacht in that they recorded some of the quintessential yacht tracks and had band members who appeared on almost all the great yacht tracks of the era, but you're right, much of their music isn't yacht. Almost none of Ambrosia's music is. And most yacht "bands" like Airplay and Pages were one-offs by studio musicians.

7. LeftCoastGator

I've always known "acid jazz" as early '90s British smooth jazz with club music influences. Not my thing.

ohnothimagen and Lightworker like this.
  8. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

We are? That's news to me.

9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The more I think about it, the more I'm considering the seriousness of the genre. Because, like 'punk', it really does reflect a class and lifestyle. It was the music of approaching-middle-aged rich white baby boomers, typically somewhere between marriages. And this could be reflected both musically and lyrically, striking a balance between wistfulness and melancholy. Between excess and longing.

In this regard, Steely Dan were the literary masters of the genre. The F. Scott Fitzgeralds of Yacht Rock who simultaneously celebrated and mocked the lifestyle with their insiders perspective.

bjlefebvre, bonzo59, sjaca and 8 others like this.
  10. Interesting. I could have sworn that this Forum had The Eagles as Yacht Rock, yet I've seen no mention. Did I miss it?

11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

They certainly touch on it. Certain songs from One Of These Nights, Hotel California and The Long Run are quite yacht-y. No yacht rock fans music collection wouldn't be without some Eagles albums for sure. Similarly, I wouldn't say Fleetwood Mac is a yacht rock act, but tracks from Rumours would be on the playlist, no doubt.

Lightworker likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Bummer. Thought both bands were considered Yacht Rock. :cry:

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Well, he also wrote THIS, which I don't consider very "yacht-y":

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's beautiful. Can I borrow this?

15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Be my guest!

Plan9 likes this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I once considered making a soft rock comp that reflected my favorite songs. It's still on my "to do" list. God I love this music!

Not all of this music came out of the West Coast, but that's where the music seems to have been created. And, why start in the 70s? I hear a lot of its genesis in The Mamas and The Papas, The Grass Roots, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, and The Beach Boys.

zebop and videoman like this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There is no shame whatsoever in liking well crafted songs that is perfomed by serious, expert musicians and is well produced.

I love me my classic Tom Johnston Doobie Brothers as much as the next classic rock fan. But you don't dare try to tear down my McDonald era Doobies. Call it "Yacht Rock" if you want. I'm hoisting the flag and setting off for the sunset! :righton:

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never thought you to be a lover of this music. I'm glad you are. The more the merrier!

I could seriously listen to this music all day! All week!

zebop and videoman like this.
  19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

BTW, Grant, I think we DO need a name like "yacht rock" or something for this sub-genre. "Soft rock" is too broad. Jim Croce, Billy Joel and Elton John are all "soft rock" but those guys (who I love also) couldn't find their way to the harbor.

And "southern California" doesnt cut it either. Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt are considered "southern California" but they are too far inland.

There needs to be something to describe that silky smoother stuff.

20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I've think we've at least touched on some of this stuff before when we've discussed Doobies or David Foster/EWF

It's not always easy to admit it around this place where slick studio players are often derided in favor of Neil Young type "authenticity".

There's room for all it in my music collection. I've got a BIG hard drive. :)

steelydanguy and Grant like this.
  21. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

For me, I think it's a bit too late, 1985 or so...

Grant and Joey The Lemur like this.
  22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Why drive to Miami to score nickels of dirt weed, when you can go to Carver's Ranches or Hallandale and get better stuff.
    When you drove on 167th and 6th avenue, there was always a guy selling nickel bags standing under his shoes that were hanging on the phonelines.
    On your earlier post about the "Miami Baseball Stadium 4-19-81" show, was Firefall the opening act. It was always them or Pablo Cruise who had the honor.
    I vaguely remember that show.

(back to topic) Where would David "Asylum" Geffen's mellow Laurel Canyon California rockers would fit in the yacht rock category.

23. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

To me that perfectly fits the genre! And I actually love that album despite the amusing cover.

jmpatrick likes this.
  24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I don't own any Vans.
    Quit putting me in a box! :D

25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I want to get out of a box and onto the water! :)