Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see what you did there…

2. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'll give it the benefit of a look, if I can, with the memory of the stinkfest Greg Prato's Yacht Rock book turned out to be...and that one featured among its interviewees one Hollywood Steve Huey.

3. I might say “Peace In Our Time” is closer. Find John Cowan’s wonderful cover of “Tomorrow Morning” too.

driverdrummer likes this.
  4. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

OK, tossing in an "Ark Rock" number, since it's Sunday and all. Rob Mehl was from either SoCal or Hawai'i, I think, and toured/played the islands (Guam, Marianas) in the '80s. This is from his "Taste and See" album from around 1981. The faith message is there, but not overbearing, and the tune itself is just dreamy, IMO. Was a minor hit in Japan.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

On the boat, fo shizzle!

TarnishedEars and Trash Panda like this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Who saw Friday night’s show? Thoughts?

She was on Shaun Keavney’s show on Thursday promoting it and said they tried hard to get Christopher Cross to participate but he was very suspicious of them and doubted it was a genuine, non-cynical doc so declined.

7. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I liked the look of the BBC show. Old 4x3 TV clips were all given rounded corners and the colour of the modern shots were treated to blend easily with the old stuff. Nicely done, I'm looking forward to next Friday's Part 2. One grating thing was some of the music choices, though. Why on earth did they use Pink Floyd's 'Us and Them'??

8. LeftCoastGator

Yeah, keep us non-UK folks in the know—I'm really curious to find out whether it's any good.

9. LeftCoastGator

Ha! I actually have "Taste and See" on my yacht rock list. (What is that song about, anyway? God's better than papaya?) I'll have to track down this album, sounds great.

Trash Panda likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You don't have to watch them.

11. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Feel free to start a Yacht Rock Karaoke thread.

pudgym, RoyalScam and bzfgt like this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Touché!

RoyalScam and ispace like this.
  13. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I wanted something like the 2007 BBC Hotel California doc, but instead of a more “academic” take, I felt Part One was too subjective and scattershot to be as substantive as I’d hoped. The worst thing is that there were some solid ideas introduced — the role of women, the cultural / pharmaceutical shifts — but not elaborated upon, almost like those blithe History Rocks videos from back in the day. Not too excited about Part Two...but I’m sure I’ll watch it all the same.

14. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Has anyone outside of the UK found a way to view this?

15. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I wasted an entire evening trying. I downloaded a VPN app and registered an account on the BBC site, but I never got an email to verify my email address. I might try again on a PC. I keep checking YouTube and Reddit to see if anyone has uploaded it.

ispace likes this.
  16. LeftCoastGator

So I discovered the yacht rock Reddit moderated by JD Ryznar the other day (Easy smooth and smells like salt. ). Most of it falls firmly into the "telling me what I already know" or "I have no idea what yacht rock is" categories, but I've found it to be a good introduction to the rich, perplexing world of Japanese yacht rock (J-Yacht?).

I haven't found anything earth shatter quite yet, but I did come across this gem: Hot Baby by Amii Ozaki. It's beyond bonanza:
    That didn't exactly translate to yacht gold, but it did have a few good tracks, such as this one:

It looks like there's quite a bit of this kind of stuff out there, so I'll post any gems I find.

17. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Smoooother than morning cappuccino in the investment Cali beach front property.

18. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Part Two on the BBC4 programme is just more of the same. The first ten minutes seemed to just be a copy-and-paste of parts of Part One. Then it drifted on to MTV and how the visual images of artists such as Christopher Cross finished their careers. I'd forgotten about the Toto link with Michael Jackson, especially 'Human Nature' – I still prefer the Miles Davis version, though.

ispace and Porkpie like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That was weird. I watched it on catch up and 5mins in I turned it off to check I’d put on the right episode.

20. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

That reminds me about Casiopea, the Japanese fusion quintet that recorded in L.A. in the early '80s. "Eyes of the Mind" on Alfa Records was released in 1981 (I think, it might have been earlier in Japan), and I fondly remember "Asayake," the leadoff track. David Sanborn and the Brecker Brothers also played on the LP. Should be yacht enough for you.

21. LeftCoastGator

Indeed. It looks like my "discovery" is actually the well-known and wildly popular Japanese City Pop genre. From what I've read and listened to so far, it's basically a yacht parallel universe. It starts with the same input as yacht with the goal of a similar output, but it runs it through a decidedly Japanese filter that makes the music simultaneously totally yacht and not yacht at all. I like it.

Vice did a pretty good primer on it earlier this year: The Guide to Getting Into City Pop, Tokyo’s Lush 80s Nightlife Soundtrack

steelydanguy, Trash Panda and ispace like this.
  22. LeftCoastGator

OK, once you get past the tinny '80s intro, this City Pop tune is really close to yacht. Love it:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

andrewskyDE and ispace like this.
  24. LeftCoastGator

arob71 likes this.
  25. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover