Yamaha A-S1100 or McIntosh MA5200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just measured 18.5 inches including the large volume knob in front and the binding posts in back, so 19+ to be safe, which coincides with 50cm as Chris mentions. You will want to have some extra space for your cables of course. I'm currently 20.5" or 52.7 cm from wall to end of front volume knob.

For 2. I have a Klipsch SW-311 hooked up to the AS-1100 via the Pre Out jacks in back. According to the manual:

The PRE OUT jacks output the same channel signal as the SPEAKERS L/R CH terminals.

• When you connect a stereo cable to the PRE OUT jacks to drive the speakers using an external amplifier, it is not necessary to use the SPEAKERS L/R CH terminals.

• The signal output at the PRE OUT jacks are affected by the BASS and TREBLE control settings.​

You can find the A-S1100 manual here: A-S1100 - Downloads - Yamaha - United States

Page 17 shows an image of a sub connected to the PRE OUT. They are standard RCA jacks.

2. kjhawkm

kjhawkm Forum Resident

Thank you very much for your responses.

I think regarding the REL, the only way is as you described via the RCA although the REL really shines when it uses the high level speaker hookup but because of the amps design, I don't think is possible.

3. kjhawkm

kjhawkm Forum Resident

So, after further research, I found a thread on another forum where 2 users confirmed they could use their REL sub via high level connections. Yamaha and REL both wrote back to one of the posters and said that the REL "balanced" approach was the appropriate way. So Red wire to right positive terminal, Yellow wire to left positive terminal and the Black wire could either be left unconnected or chassis grounded. I grounded mine via the phono ground as my Rega table doesn't have a ground cable. I got my A-S1100 on Thursday night and set it up this way yesterday and works like a charm. Loving the A-S1100 so far by the way.

4. Paul Letteri

Paul Letteri Active Member

I have owned audio store and have had many brands breakin of cables ,
    Speakers and Amplifiers Absolutely happens .I asked my technician why this happens ,BTW I own The Yamaha 2100 and I can tell you without question breakin
    For sure happens over a 200 hour period my friend had the 2100 and he agrees ,the reason why and it makes sence the transformer takes well over 150 hours
    To fully anneal or settle in ,also the 4 huge 22 k 60 v capacitors the dielectrics
    Take time to fully settle in ,even wiring and connectors take at least 75 hours for the brightness to fade away, and these 20 amp Sanken Mosfets without question require a constant current to smooth out and the grainy ness goes away . I have auditioned literally hundreds of amplifiers ,preamps and all gear need time if capacitors or wiring has Teflon this dielectric can take 400 hours VH audio make great caps
    Just ask the owner Chris he will tell you it goes through changes .
    And Bryston is dependable but not the most musically engaging .the S 1100,2100 3000 all use Mosfets and noticably better sounding then Bryston IMO.

matrix-6 and RiRiIII like this.
  5. AndyLupescu

AndyLupescu New Member

Hei,I found this and I wanted to know your opinion! I have a HK990 and really want to know what is the perfect replacement. What was your impression coparing it with Yamaha and what input did you use on HK990? I'm using processor mode (bypassed audio) and I know this one has more power than the rest. I'm still thinking at Yamaha A-S2100, but 90w/ch and 400w consumption keeps me on hold. I would really like to talk to you,but can't manage to message you,or something!

6. matrix-6

So, regarding keeping the A-S1100 (and R-N602) on all the time vs. standby, I finally reached out to Yamaha's support chat and got the following response:

"I wouldn't recommend leaving it on that long since it can potentially overheat and run into some power issues.

Turning it off/on won't cause any issues with the display"​

#19 in the safety guide (also on page iii in the R-N602 manual):

"When using this unit for a long time, this unit may become warm. Turn the system off, then leave this unit alone for cooling."

via https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/5/331575/A-S2100_S1100_sb_U-1.pdf

As for the display comment, I was curious if cycling the display on and off on my R-N602 every day might be a concern. According to Yamaha it's not. So it will be Standby overnight, and on all day for me. I usually listen to it at low levels to start anyway, so that should give it time to warm up. My wife was not crazy about me wanting to leave it powered on overnight so now we can both can rest assured all is safe for both us and the system. :)

7. matrix-6

Just wanted to post an update to this. I tried it a couple of times but didn't stick with it. Today I thought about it again and looked up what the A-S1100 manual had to say about it. I found this:

"Caution: If you use two sets (A and B), the impedance of each speaker must be 8 Ω or higher."​

My Harbeth P3ESRs are 6 Ω. Oops. Guess I won't be doing that again.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

It can handle it, no problem.

9. matrix-6

Yeah, I doubt there's any damage. Curious why they caution against it though. Maybe it's not good for the amp over time?

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

Probably just to appease the certification nazis. Makes certain you’ll blow your speakers long before the amp melts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.