Yamaha A-S1100 or McIntosh MA5200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by matrix-6, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

If it was me I’d do Mc separates and buy used - ex audio classics. I’d likely do a used Mc integrated w/o a DAC too. Price should hold its value (mine has) and it will be a guaranteed performer.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's exactly where I'm at. I was sold on the A-S1100. Just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be missing anything sonically.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. matrix-6

I heard about separates. My fear going used is not knowing if what I bought was indeed up to spec. If it was dealer backed I would feel safer I guess.

4. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’ve never ever heard about a Mc not having excellent sound quality so that is something the Yamaha shouldn’t have as an advantage.

I’m sure both will sound exceptional.

5. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Audio classics has a huge reputation- you should have no fear sending it back. And certainly go for an integrated- I absolutely would. By used though no reason to pay the depreciation.

6. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I bought my used McIntosh C220 pre back in 2010 - paid 2200. Absolutely love it and it still sells in the 2500 +/- range. Over 8 years old and absolutely fab.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. james

james Summon The Queen

If you get offended by audio talk, you gotta reevaluate. I thought maybe the Elicit-R would be nice with the Harbeths. All good

matrix-6 likes this.
  8. matrix-6

Thanks. I will check them out before buying. I do like the experience of opening up a brand new box though. :)

rebellovw likes this.
  9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It will be a great unboxing. They package like crazy.

10. matrix-6

Thanks. I do want meters though. Something about that glow at night. :) That's another reason I'm leaning towards the A-S1100. I prefer the look of it over the MA5200. For me, the Mac would only have the brand appeal going for it when it comes to looks. That aside I don't want to compromise audio for looks, with the only exception being meters. :)

11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’m the opposite I see the yamah as the unattractive of the two - looks like an AVR Hopefully you can see both in person. The black, glass, lit display and meters are stunning on the Mc.

Luxman also has some beauties.

12. matrix-6

Someone else will probably get to it before me after posting this, but for fun, what would you personally recommend over the A-S1100 from this list:

Audio Classics - Integrated Amps

They have two MA5200s for $2699, but no 7200 or A-S1100/S2200/S3000. The prices on the 5200s are excellent but they aren't mint unfortunately, and if the A-S1100 is just as good as people have been saying, I'm thinking a minty new 1100 would be the way to go for me.

rebellovw likes this.
  13. matrix-6

I do go back and forth to be honest. I'll need to take another look. They have the 5300 at the local Magnolia. Oh, crazy question: I know Mc moved to LEDs for their meters. They are just talking about the backlight right? The meters are actual physical meters on the 5200 and 7500? If they are graphic "virtual" meters they would be a huge turnoff to me.

rebellovw likes this.
  14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Here is a useful thread to read through. I’m sure a b1 would be very nice. Doesn’t hurt to talk with them as they are decent and shouldn’t steer you wrong. I have yet to read someone having a bad experience with them.

Best “cheaper” McIntosh Integrated?

matrix-6 likes this.
  15. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Real beautiful meters just led lit.

matrix-6 likes this.
  16. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Is this guy a Yamaha rep? Or a dealer?

17. matrix-6

He was a dealer. It was at a local Magnolia in Best Buy. They sell both Yamaha and McIntosh.

18. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

MA6600

19. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

A lovely preamp. Got me looking at McIntosh again. Hard to find so in the end I purchased a new C-22 which is very similar in size and features. Love it as well.

Apologies to the OP for going a bit off course.

rebellovw likes this.
  20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I have to admit after looking at all the pictures the Yamaha (silver) does look pretty elegant. Man OP you are lucky to be in this "shopping" phase.

jon9091 likes this.
  21. matrix-6

Tempting but it would get me in the range of a new MAC6700. How do they compare?

22. matrix-6

I'm actually for the Black one! ;) Love the amber glow on it. And my SL-1210GR will be black as well.

One thing I'm also looking forward to are the metal controls/knobs. The R series look nice but are plastic.

BTW, what does OP mean? And no worries going off topic at this point. I'm set the A-S1100 - just placed the order. I give up on the "ultimate" amp path for now. I think $2500 isn't much to risk over the next few years and it will give me time to do more research. That and the thought of having a McIntosh in the house when my daughter's teenage friends come over had me a little leary. I don't think they will know what the Harbeths are so I should be safe there. :)

rebellovw likes this.
  23. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I think the 6600 doesn't have a DAC module or tuner module. You can add a tuner card though.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Sounds like a solid plan. OP refers to Opening Poster (why I know that - I'm not sure why - just a forum geek).

25. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Absolutely.
    Love mine and has performed very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.