Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I am listening to the latest Dicks Picks through this amp and I am getting all the sweat, blood and guts....

Clonesteak, james and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Daedalus

I meant Dave’s Picks.

Clonesteak and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was going to suggest some pepto to for the sweat, blood and guts but I didn’t want to harsh your good time.

ThorensSme, Clonesteak and Daedalus like this.
  4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

“Hey it’s me Dave, let me in.”

“No man, Dave isn’t here man.”

JamesD1957 and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

“Hey it’s me Dave, let me in.”

No man, Dave isn’t here man.”

Daedalus and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. whitigir

whitigir Member

So, i bought A-S3000 due to the good review here....and after 2 weeks....my amp is into protection mode. What do I do now ? Return ? Or is there a way to make it work again

7. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

First make sure none of your speaker cable connections are touching each other (i.e. a positive touching a negative.) If that is correct, then I would ask for a replacement from the dealer. You can put the amp in a diagnostic mode and see exactly what is happening, per the service manual, but, if this is a brand new item, one shouldn't have to do that for what these cost.

8. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

This issue has come up several times before. If I recall correctly, in the end there was nothing wrong with the amp. There was a peculiar setup function or operating mode. Before you panic, do a google search or give your vendor a call. I’ll be interested in what you find in case my memory is finally failing me.

Good luck

whitigir and scobb like this.
  9. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

With the unit off, Turn the Bass and Treble knobs all the way counterclockwise. Hold down the mute button while turning the unit back on. This will reset the processor. You should be good to go. Make sure that the A-S 3000 has plenty of ventilation. It usually goes into protection if getting to hot, or you have a cable shorted.

10. whitigir

whitigir Member

Thanks for the respond. I tried many steps from the Manuals, and the Amp would still kicks in Protective mode.

I could bypass this mode but the input LED does not light up. I don’t want to try turning music on.

When I turn it off, and on again. It then gets into protective mode again.

I have nothing hooked up to it ATM :(

11. whitigir

whitigir Member

I tried to get the self diagnosing, and the blinking LED indicate the abonormality in Power Supply as it Blinks 2X, stall then 2X and stall then 2X....etc... however, the service manual doesn’t say how to fix this problem.

I tried turning all 3 knobs Bass/Treble/Balances to CCW or CW and hold down mute + turning on....it kicks right into protection mode :(

12. whitigir

whitigir Member

In “protection Cancelation Mode” as Manual says, turn Balance full CCW , hold Mute and turn on while keep holding Mute for 3 seconds. The Vu meters are Dim, the input LED doesn’t light up. I tried turning the knob blind, and there...music turned on. However, when I turned it off, it would kick into

Protection again ... ?

13. whitigir

whitigir Member

I even tried the Reset to Factory Data as in Balance knob full clockwise, Holding mute and turning on. It reset to CD-input, and quickly engaged Protection mode again. At this moment, I think I just have to return the unit X_X

14. whitigir

whitigir Member

I tried this too, and I have A-S3000 on top of my rack. It never appeared to be that hot to me though.

This method did not reset the processor :(, it still is in protection mode

15. sfoclt

sfoclt Forum Resident

^ This. It’s in the service manual but not im the user manual for some reasons

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Are you turning the treble and bass knobs as well? You must turn all three clockwise then turn the unit on while holding down the mute switch. It should then enter diagnostic mode with dim meter lights. Pressing the mute switch advances the "menu." Once you get to where the LED repeats with 4 quick flashes, you're at the factory reset option. Hold down the mute button for 5+ seconds and the source indicator should end up on the CD input. Then you must shut the amp off. When you subsequently turn it on, it should reset to factory default, assuming all is fine with the amp.

Influxor and jusbe like this.
  17. Daedalus

I have never had this problem with mine. Judging by the steps you have taken to no avail I think you should return amp for a replacement.

Kyhl, Shawn, Clonesteak and 2 others like this.
  18. whitigir

whitigir Member

Yeah, I tried virtually everything from your helps and the manual services. Nothing works, unless I get into protection by pass mode. But then when shut off, it would go back in protection mode again. I am now waiting for the approval to get return shipping label. This thing isn’t fun to pack up and ship away at all x_X

19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

That sucks.

Replacement or refund?

20. whitigir

whitigir Member

I would do a replacement as I love the sound signature. I hope it wouldn’t do this again though....this is sad. Why would it suddenly go completely into protection mode is beyond me ....to top that off, I am using it with Soavo speaker set...so nothing it couldn’t handle for sure

21. whitigir

whitigir Member

When in diagnosis mode, the Power Flashing indicates “PS protection mode”. Is there a way to reset it out of this mode at all ?

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

I don't believe so. Sounds like your power supply has a fault. I've encountered quite a few similar posts regarding the 3000. For whatever reason, it seems far more common in this particular model.

I wonder if they're suffering damage during shipping. Yamaha's packaging leaves a lot to be desired. A 50lb+ amp should be double-boxed with extra foam between them. An amp of the 3000's price should really come in a wooden crate IMO.

whitigir likes this.
  23. whitigir

whitigir Member

Judging from that it still singing music when I enter protection Bypass mode. What could have gone wrong in the power supply ? It says this is being detected by Power transformer CB301 and CB302, CB1...and I can’t find what CB1 is

So, it seems the big caps C317-C318-C319-C320 has some craziness and the values is preventing the main processor to reset to factory.....what is going on with these 4 huge caps ? I wonder if a discharge could help ? Mainly C319-C320 on the 18 and 20V, then C9 and C12 for 12V

if PS has a fault, then the unit should not be possible to be turned on ? If the Amp sections has something wrong, then it should have burning smell or whatever else

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  24. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not sure where you're getting all this from, but I'd just return it or file a warranty claim at this point.

25. whitigir

whitigir Member

Yes, I just have to wait for their return department to issue me a shipping label and an RMA.....life without music...Suck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.