Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitigir

whitigir Member

My A-S3000 came in as a replacement since last week. She has been singing! Cross my fingers and hope she stays for life!!

clevice, AshS, Helom and 8 others like this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Did Yamaha away anything about whether this issue has finally been resolved?

3. whitigir

whitigir Member

I tried asking many questions, but the responds were mainly composed of “ it is not possible to say the reason, until a tech can examine and find out”. I did get an advise to “have all cables shielded. The Amplifier is Floating Ground, and some non-shielded cables may be a potential issues”

Helom and jusbe like this.
  4. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Thanks. Still at the top of my list of fit-and-forget amps to try. :) I have strong feelings about the way Yamaha responded to you (or, frankly, didn't) but they're best not shared!

macster likes this.
  5. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I've had an A-S3000 and A-S2000 for several years now (and previously owned an A-S1000) and have never experienced the "protection mode problem" with any of them (touch wood!).

And I've treated all of them like I would any other amplifier and use regular interconnects (Van Damme XKE) and speaker cable (Van Damme Studio Blue) to connect my sources and loudspeakers. I even leave spare interconnects attached to the A-S3000's unused inputs and outputs so that when I need to add another source or amp I don't need to pull the A-S3000 forward and out of my hifi rack to gain access.

The only precautions I take are to never let the speaker cables short and to leave adequate ventilation above the amp, as I would with any other amp.

Forgive my lack of EE knowledge, but what exactly are the implications and risks of a Floating Ground design, and how/why would an unshielded interconnect affect it?

Andrew Littleboy and jusbe like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Technically that sounds a load of bull!

Floating ground means double insulated and no need to ground casing to mains. If all equipment is floating ground hum from ground loops should be impossible. Can't see cable shielding making a jot of difference as shield may or may not form part of audio ground depending on design (usually attached to plug one end or none (in later case a faraday cage)).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. ToTo Man

A-S3000 - Features - Yamaha - Other European Countries :

Left-right symmetrical design for independent pre amp and power amp blocks
    The amplifier circuit design features independent pre amp and power amp blocks, and perfect left-right symmetry. Separation of the pre amp, which handles low energy signals, from the power amp, which handles high-energy amplified signals, greatly reduces sound deterioration caused by mutual interference. Moreover, the left-right symmetrical design, which keeps the left and right power stages completely separate, ensures greater channel separation and enhances clarity of the stereo image.

[​IMG]
    Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier with MOSFETs
    [​IMG]
    The basic design of the power amp circuit adopts Yamaha’s own, uniquely developed Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier technology. Adopting output elements with the same polarity on the plus and minus sides of the output stage, and also completely separating the NFB (Negative Feedback) circuit and power supply into a total of four plus and minus sides of the left and right channels, results in thoroughly symmetric push-pull operation of the output stage, Completely floating the entire power amp circuit from the ground removes any negative impact of minute voltage fluctuations or ground noise. Moreover, the output elements are comprised of MOSFETs, which provide a warm and natural sonic character. The use of MOSFETs, which have the same polarity on the plus and minus sides, further evolves the ideal of a complete symmetrical design, to eliminate sound quality variations due to difference in polarity—a major distinguishing characteristic of the Floating and Balanced Power Amplifier—resulting in sound with a superior signal-to-noise ratio and a superbly well-defined sound field.

All-stage balanced transmission
    [​IMG]
    The A-S3000 features fully balanced signal transmission. Moreover, the control system circuits (volume, tone, etc.) of the pre amp feature totally balanced operation, realising ideal balance in all stages.

Andrew Littleboy and Clay B like this.
  8. ToTo Man

From page 17 of the the A-S3000 Owner's Manual pdf:

• Because the power amplifier of A-S3000 is of the floating balanced type, the following types of connections are not possible.

• – Connecting with the left channel “–” terminal and the right channel “–” terminal

as well as “+” terminals (Fig. 1).

• – Connecting with the left channel “–” terminal and the right channel “–” terminal L
    Fig. 1

Fig. 2

inverted (cross connection, Fig. 2).
    – Deliberately connecting with the left/right channel “–” terminals and metal part

on the rear panel of this unit, as well as accidentally touching them.
    • Do not connect your active subwoofer to the SPEAKERS L/R CH terminal.

Connect it to the PRE OUT jacks of this unit.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Andrew Littleboy and Clay B like this.
  9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can someone explain this?
    3000 vs 2100:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The difference I see is:
    - there's no unbalanced to balanced converter on the 3000
    - there's no input amplifier on the 2100.

What is input amplifier and why the higher model does not convert the unbalanced signal into balanced?
    edit: or maybe there is unbal to bal converter on the 3000 within the input amp, that box is blurred?

10. whitigir

whitigir Member

The 3000 has Unbalanced to balanced converter board

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yeah, it seems so, but what is input amplifier that the 2100 is lacking?

12. whitigir

whitigir Member

Not sure, I haven’t looked into details over 2100. I guess 3000 has more power and better components and so on .... but with Yamaha new releases, it appears to me that Yamaha is also jumping upon the crazily trend of hi-fi “it is expensive, because it sound good....or, it is expensive...it must sound good”

13. whitigir

whitigir Member

So the bass started out pretty weak, after some burnin here and there that totaled in around 100 hours, she opened up! Nice...

jusbe likes this.
  14. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

This is your new A-S3000 sample?

15. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Forum Resident

Does that mean that a Rel sub that is suppose to be fead trough amp speaker output is not possible?

16. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Does anyone compare this AS3000 with a Musical Fidelity NuVista M3?
    sonical Differences?
    Owning an CD Player of these Yamaha 3000 series.... could be worthfull try to change the NuVista for un AS3000?

17. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

The manual recommends using the pre-outs for hooking up a sub.

18. whitigir

whitigir Member

Yamaha replaced my defected one...he suddenly went into safe mode and never recovered

jusbe likes this.
  19. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

The new one is fine, right? It was the prior unit you are referring to?

20. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

Have any of you been able to upgrade your power cord? Just wondering if is overkill considering the floating ground.

21. Classicrock

Power chords are unrelated to grounding type other than the use or non use of a ground cable. If you believe they make any difference other than being able to carry sufficient current than we are into another argument. Nothing to stop you trying any chord to see and likely it won't even affect the sound.

22. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I assumed the factory ground-less power cord had something to do with the floating ground. Incorrect?

23. Classicrock

The grounding is internal. The chord won't matter but the third pin on the IEC socket will be plastic so no external earth connection. I'm assuming this doesn't have a fixed chord.

L5730 likes this.
  24. rp600m

rp600m Well-Known Member

When using the high level speaker inputs of sub, they are afraid you will short out the connection by touching positive to negative...this could damage the power amp/ sub amp. Probably why some subs do not have the high level speaker input option...so you will not short out the amp.

25. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

No fixed cord. Just a two prong socket on the the back of the unit and two prong power cord. Same for cd-2100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.