Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

The ¨purist ¨ trend has wreacked havoc on nowadays audio design. Everything's stripped down to a bare minimum; functions common to most components of the past are absent on today's decks. Wonder if it's not just a move to save money at the production stage and maximize profit. luckily my 2 vintage amps have all of those beloved functions and then some. What will I do when they give up the ghost and have to replace them for those insipid POS I don't know.

russk and fogalu like this.
  2. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

Maybe the reason they don’t include these features is probably because there is a very small demand for these???

bever70 likes this.
  3. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

I often listen to music at low/med volume and find a Loudness switch quite useful.

4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That is pretty poor description in comparison to Accuphase and Luxman volume control descriptions. There's no word about it on the C-5000 page, while they "bragged" about other less important things (knobs, meters etc). I'm under the impression they don't have much to say in this regard. Maybe they missed it.
    I could take this glass of wine, but for the adequate, lower, price. For the same(ish) price you get more features, a high-end pedigree, better re-sale value etc. with Accuphase.

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thing is, one doesn't really need a loudness option with these upper-tier Yamahas. I find I can listen at lower volumes and still get plenty of dynamics. I can't say the same for most other amps I've owned.

lonelysea likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Then I guess we know what you'll be buying, thanks for sharing :rolleyes:.

CortoL likes this.
  7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What will I be buying?

8. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

No where near the same price here in the States; Accuphase is marked up by more than 100%!

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Talking only about the separates, C-5000 and M-5000 vs Accu C-2150 and P-4500. I don't see the Yamaha separates available in the States. European price lists show difference of about 1000 euros.

10. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

Ok. Just for my own knowledge. Which accuphase integrated amplifier is going for 3999£ and with similar specification? Also the purpose is to discuss not to argue. After all it’s all about personal taste. I like the Yamaha, you like the Accuphase. Both good and we are both happy

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  11. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

Well, that’s a very strong point from Yamaha mentioned in one of my earliest replies. I like the as3000 because is exceptionally well in very low volume.

12. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

BTW, May I ask you if you’ve ever listened to the A-S3000?

13. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

The Variable Loudness control that featured on many Yamaha amps in the 1970s was very useful, much better than the sledgehammer loudness button other amps had. You would set the volume control to your loudest comfortable listening level where all frequencies sounded in correct proportion to each other, then use the Variable Loudness knob to control the volume. As you turned this knob down, the mid frequencies decreased in volume more quickly than the bass and treble, thus mirroring the Fletcher-Munson curve (see image below).

I believe Yamaha have recently re-introduced this feature on some of their current offerings, e.g. the A-S301. I often wish my A-S3000 had it, but I suspect its inclusion would offend audiophile "purists" and thus potentially have a negative impact on sales. The way around this would be to make the loudness circuit defeatable like the Treble and Bass circuits are in the A-S3000.

[​IMG]

4xoddic, ranch 22b and George P like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

The last time I had people over for dinner I used the loudness knob on my Yamaha A-S801. It worked amazingingly well. (Now that I think I have figured out how to use it.)

15. George P

George P Notable Member

I agree about dynamics, but at very low volumes I use the knob for tonality. (Fletcher Munson)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Not arguing at all, just expressing my disappointment that Yamaha omits my favorite classic features while charging almost the same price as Accuphase, which has them along with a high end pedigree, so logical question is why would one buy the Yamaha? Unless the sound difference is night and day, which I seriously doubt.
    May I remind, for a third or fourth time, I joined the discussion when the Yamaha separates were mentioned, and talk about them and only them since, not the other amps down the range. Therefore the question you ask about Accuphase amp of 3999£ (the price of A-S 3000) is out of the context. The Yamaha integrates are cheaper than Accuphase/Luxman integrates and may seem like a better value, A-S 3000 particularly. But then again, I haven't heard Accuphse or Luxman being plagued with protection circuit problem, as it was the case with A-S 3000 (shutting down with no reason, many reports).

17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Obviously not a Yamaha.

lonelysea and George P like this.
  18. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

I will agree and thank you for the detailed explanation. I have a pioneer SA-8800 and a the SA-7800 which are equipped with loudness control, tapes and all the goodies from this era. It works brilliantly well because these amps (which I love) are not performing well at low volume. My point is that the Yamaha performs so good at low volume that the loudness control is not necessary. For me the loudness control was a solution to a problem. A problem that the Yamaha doesn’t have.

19. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

:-popcorn:

20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I have to agree with this comment. As I write this I am listening at very low volume early in the morning whilst the rest of the household is sleeping. The music is detailed and fully dynamic.

Helom likes this.
  21. Daedalus

My old vintage A-700 Yamaha Integrated has this feature. It is a very useful feature on that amp-which is still going strong, by the way, since my acquisition of it as a new item back in circa 1980 or so.

22. Fan Blues & Sonus

Fan Blues & Sonus Member

Dear colleagues and fans of Yamaha, I have a problem with my A-S3000. The problem is as follows - namely, it sounds and works, seemingly everything is correct, but you can hear the amplifier from time to time - click with different intensity and tone, at different time intervals, and this does not affect the Audio track. I will add that the second issue is the same problem. It seems to me that I've exhausted all possible factors. (I pulled a separate power line with the stabilizer plugged in - Nothing, I stung with signal sources - Nothing).

I reported the problem to Yamaha, they accepted it for repair covered by warranty.

The Amplifier sounds and works, seemingly everything is correct, but from time to time the amplifier can be heard - clicking at different intensities and tones, at different time intervals(very randomly). This does not affect the Audio track itself .

Respond after one week in repair

Hi,
    We have had your amp on test for the past 3 days and are unable to find any real faults with the item. I beleive the noise you can hear
    is caused by thermal expansion and is completly normal. I have had this amp next to me and have heard the noise you mention.
    I will arrange for it to be returned to you this week.

Kind regards
    E&M

For me, clicking is not normal - what can I do (except binning it).

23. Daedalus

It sounds like you are describing a clicking noise that seems to emanate from the amp itself and is not heard through the speakers-correct? Is there a fairly consistent pattern to this or is it seemingly random? You hear more than one type of loudness level/ tone of the the clicking sound? Does the amp seem to run hot-any change in the perceived ambient temperature of the amp case? Do you use a power conditioner? Are there any signs of intermittent power being supplied? Surges?

24. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I experience occasional thermal expansion 'clicks' with my A-S3000, less frequently now I have removed the amp from my hifi rack to provide it with proper ventilation. I'm not worried about the noises because I've experienced the same issue with my plasma TV, Mac Pro computer, wooden hifi rack, etc, for many years, and the expansion noises from these products are usually way louder than those from my A-S3000! If you want to bin your A-S3000 then go ahead, but it seems a bit of an overreaction IMO.

25. Fan Blues & Sonus

Fan Blues & Sonus Member

This clicking is totally random. It is difficult to find any consistency, temperature, volume etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.