Yamaha A-S3000 arrived...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sojer2005

sojer2005 Active Member

I've never heard any clicks from my A-S2100, and I use this amplifier very often. And I'm quite sensitive to such noises.

2. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

This is very odd. I owned the A-S1100 for about six months and never once did it click during playback. So it's not like they all do this.

3. Andrew Littleboy

Andrew Littleboy Forum Resident

They aren't clicking as such it's just the occasional noises of contacting/expanding during heating and cooling and it does not come through the speakers or cause any untoward issues. The 3000 for example runs fairly warm even with correct bias and uses around 70 watts just idling, similar situation to the 2100 and it's why I don't leave it on 24/7.

As I said mine does it even when the unit is unplugged when the heating is on on the room.

And yes the 2100 does it also as someone on another forum was making a song and dance about it and sent it back to Yamaha with no fault found.

I think this while thing started because the A-s500 had a clicking relay on the power supply and everyone jumped on the band wagon about their other amps.

4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What are the A-S 2100 or A-S 3000 phono section tech specs ? Can't find anything in the manuals. Speaking of capacitance and gain.

5. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

For the AS3000 is 100pf form mm and 50 ohms for mc. Rather low for mc but it is what it is. I think the 2100 has the same phono stage but not sure. The phono stage is decent but can be easily outperformed by an average separate phono stage. I have the arcam rphono with AT33ptg/ii cartridge on a technics sl1200gr and the arcam is way better.

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Where do you read this? Can't see it in the manual.

7. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

50 ohms is useless for most cartridges . I run a > 100 ohm cartridge (AT 33 SA) at 800 ohms (MF M6 Vinyl) . Not surprising that Arcam is way better.

9. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

As per @360-12

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

11. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Here is a system you just don't see every day. If I had the resources to purchase this complete system, I would be mighty tempted to jump on board, stunning!

12. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I want those speaks! :love:

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Wow.

14. Classicrock

Those speakers are the new take on NS 1000 but they are very expensive. Sounds very clean and a bit clinical, but LDR does sound that way on my rig. Never a great fan of one make Japanese systems.

15. CortoL

CortoL Well-Known Member

The 100pf is pretty standard for 47k ohm load on mm mode

16. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Where did you hear the NS1000?

17. Classicrock

Just commenting on that video sound and the price. Heard the old models many times, mainly at bake off / owner system shows. Certainly a speaker that can sound quite different depending on amplification used. Best I heard were with some modified Quad II (more powerful than standard).

18. Daedalus

These components are on the Yamaha USA website and available at a limited number of retail outlets.

19. Daedalus

I have a friend who is buying the M-5000. He was bowled over by my A-S3000 and was going to buy it until he found out about this unit. So he waited for availability in the US. He has McIntosh equipment now( pre and amp separates-newer models, not sure which specific numbers).

jusbe, ThorensSme and lonelysea like this.
  20. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

This is my first post on the site, although I've been lurking for a few months now. Thank you everyone for the contributed knowledge. :)

Anyways, I am in the process of putting together a new system from scratch. I have been planning on going with a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated paired with GoldenEar Triton One.Rs. I've heard the combo myself (in addition to all the commentary online on the pairing) and was really happy with the level of detail and overall tone in the setup.

I found out this week, however, that I have an opportunity to get a new Yamaha A-S3000 at an extremely good discount which would come in around the same price or a little cheaper than what I'd pay for the PL. The Yamaha wasn't really on my radar prior to this based on the MSRP price discrepancy and my initial focus on going the tube route. The big savings and all of the glowing reviews for the Yamaha on this site and elsewhere have me now reconsidering...

The amp will likely be used by everyone in the house (myself, my GF and my daughter), so it will need to cover a fairly broad range of music. I'd say about 65% of the listening will be dedicated to 60s-80s rock, hard rock and pop (e.g., Beatles, 70s Clapton, Fleetwod Mac, Zeppelin, Boston, Van Halen and Def Leppard, George Michael, Tears for Fears, etc.); 10%, 60s-70s R&B; 10% 2000s emo, electronica and pop; and 15% to classical and jazz. I'd estimate that we'll be streaming around 3/4 of the time from hi-res sites (e.g., Tidal, Qobuz or Amazon) and from my ripped CD collection, and 1/4 of the time will be from vinyl. I haven't picked out the DAC yet, but I'm tentatively looking at the Project Classic SB turntable.

I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to actually hear the A-S3000 before I would make the purchase, so I'd love to hear any thoughts on the comparison against the PL. I feel confident in PL's reputation, build quality and design, so the stereotypical hassles with tubes aren't really a concern for me. I am really looking for the best overall presentation, particularly based on the speaker combo and our musical tastes. I'd say my personal preference would be to have something that provides excellent detail without sounding clinical or sterile. I'm concerned that the solid state, hyper-transparent nature of the Yamaha might strip all of the enjoyment out of our favorite rock/pop albums or other poorly recorded selections.

Any recommendations or feedback is greatly appreciated.

21. Joakim

Joakim Member

Hi
    Currently using the 3000 together with Harbeth p3esr 40th an. speakers. Anyone have a recommendation for a matching cable to this setup? I have been looking at Chord, nordost, and Audioquest. Any suggestions?
    I’ve understood that it’s more a question of matching cables with amp than to speakers? cheers!

22. G B Kuipers

I have owned both Yamaha A-S1100 and several PL amps. I like both brands but they really do sound very different from each other so it's a matter of taste. You have to hear both before you decide. However you don't have to fear that the high end Yamaha A-S amps are analytical. They are not. I would describe their performance subjectively as powerful and lush.

A practical concern is that you wish to use the amp with your family. In that sense the Yamaha is more practical because
    A. You can leave it on all the time (don't do this with the PL!)
    B. It is more fool proof. E.g. turning the PL off and on again too quickly will cause problems, hot tubes, etc.

ThorensSme likes this.
  23. OC Zed

OC Zed Bludgeon Riffola

Thanks for the response. As you said, the differences are a matter of taste. But how would you describe the differences between the two?

What is the concern with leaving the PL on for extended periods? Just the heat or is there another concern? We're pretty good about turning things off when we are not using them. And we tend to not listen for more than 4-5 hours at any given time (i.e., not all day).

24. G B Kuipers

Of course these things are difficult to put into words (hence my recommendation to audition), but I'll try. To my ears high end Yamaha amplification sounds lush, big and refined with slightly recessed mids compared to e.g. Naim. Thoroughly enjoyable on a wide range of styles. Sometimes I wished the mids were a little more 'in your face' on percussion, lead guitars, etc.

The PrimaLunas I have heard/used using KT120/6550 were more forceful and mid-forward, a little less refined sounding than Yamaha, with a bit of 'tube holography' but not so much 'tube sweetness'. I like the EL34 based PrimaLunas better; these sound more musical to me but it's also easier to detect their limitations in bass slam (of course), neutrality and resolution.

I want to add though that any observation on how amplifiers 'sound' is system dependent. Changing out the speakers, source, cables could yield entirely different conclusions.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    ThorensSme and OC Zed like this.
  25. G B Kuipers

Leaving a tube amp on for 4 to 5 hour periods should be fine BTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.