Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revolversoul

revolversoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just looking for advice on a new system. I am looking at buying a new setup, and have been looking at the 501 and 801. For speakers, I am looking at the Wharfdale Denton speakers. The thing about the 801 is the USB port so I would be able to connect my laptop. That would be my main source of music, followed by CD, then vinyl. Would it be worth it to get the 501 with an DAC for the laptop, or just got with the 801. Any recommendations on these, or other options would be welcome. My budget on the amp is $1000.

Thanks for any help/advice

2. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I know there's lots of love for the Dentons, but they are the worst speakers I've ever heard. :shake:

AmericanHIFI and The Pinhead like this.
  3. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

Wow. Worst speakers you've every heard? You must live a very blessed life.

To the OP - the Dentons are great speakers - you'll be happy. As for how you'll power them - I've heard them in a friend's system with the 501 and they sounded great. My vote would be the 501 and a DAC - I imagine you can better the onboard DAC of the 801 with the difference in your budget.

4. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

You can buy the Denton's from a seller with a return option, which is what I did. They sounded very good to my ears, but I ultimately returned them because I knew their limitations (primarily in the lower end) would mean I'd tire of them too soon. Regarding the amp, I'd say go for the 801, which is within your budget and gives you more flexibility and a bit more power too. The Denton's need a bit of muscle to open up but also the Yamaha's loudness feature will prove useful at low levels.

5. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I think speakers are the single most polarizing equipment discussed on the forum. Most everyone will suggest what they like, and there's nothing wrong with that unless they are being bullish about it. I am of the belief that we all hear things a bit differently. Audition as many speakers as you can, preferably in an environment that simulates your listening area as close as possible. Choose what YOU like, and don't look back. Read all of the opinions that you want, but don't let anyone tell you what you are supposed to like. That's a path toward disappointment in many cases.

matthewp, zboski, Stanton56 and 6 others like this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

The Yamaha amps sound great with small British 2-ways. I had some Wharfedale 10.2s mated with my A-S500 for a short while and they sounded nice, replaced them with some Epos Epics.

I would spring for the A-S801, it can likely compete with most amps under $2k. Also, these Yamaha amps were "voiced" in Britain, so it's not surprising that they sound great with British speakers.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

They are crap (no treble, no bass, dull midrange) compared to:
    Kef 104.2
    Focal 706V
    Focal 826V
    Pioneer BS21

That's how blessed I am baby. How about you? :wave:

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Also, they were variously driven with:
    Sony STR-6055 vintage receiver
    Marantz 2238b vintage receiver
    Sansui AU-999 vintage integrated amp
    Conrad Johnson PV12 preamp / Aragon 4004 amp

That's how blessed I am baby. How about you? :)

9. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

There an echo in here?

10. irender

irender Forum Resident

I have the Yamaha A-S801 and Wharfedale Dentons and I love the crappy sound. You can always try them and return if necessary.

11. revolversoul

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will go for the 801. I appreciate all of your input on this.

Bluemooze, what speaker would you recommend instead of the Wharfedale for around the same price?

toddfan and Seafinch like this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Normally I'd recommend you audition all you can, but based on my experience with this pairing, I'm confident in saying, get these and thank me later.

EPOS - EPIC 2 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PR)

Linto likes this.
  13. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I like that, can I use it? :cheers:

Heckto35 and bluemooze like this.
  14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Those have really good specs, don't usually find that sensitivity outside of klipsch for the price range

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

These originally retailed for $800, and they were a bargain at that price.

16. Helom

Helom Forum member

Just noticed this dealer is based in Australia and the site seems a bit fishy. Their prices are believable though, since their products are mostly closeout models.

17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I been using the epic 2 speakers for a few years now, what a snag at $400. Had them paired with an AS500 until I moved up a bit amp wise. Can't say how much we love them, I get comments about "clarity" and have heard the words "crystal clear" from people. Most of them not really into audio to this degree though :p

18. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Nearly $150 shipping to the US
    I may search and see who else has these since they don't appear to be sold currently

19. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

I agree on the 801 as your amp...seems more worth the price than the 501, given the rave reviews most folks give the 801. Folks seem to like the built in DAC, also, so it addresses your needs there.

20. revolversoul

I think I will go with the Wharfedale's, and if I don't like them, I can return them. The EPOS look nice as well, so if I am not pleased with the Denton's, I will continue my search.

I appreciate all of the input. This will be my first decent system, and my head is still spinning!

antnee likes this.
  21. irender

irender Forum Resident

Give the Wharfedales some break in time and I think you'll be happy. Let us know how you make out.
    Don't forget to get some nice stands for them.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    2point1 and T'mershi Duween like this.
  22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yup. They do take a while to break in. Must be a Kevlar thing.

2point1 likes this.
  23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

24. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

You're in a distict minority there. Worst? Really?

I just picked up a pair of Dentons to check out. At first they were a bit dry and meh, but they have slowly opened up. 100 watts of Luxman 505u power makes these babies wake up and come alive. They are sounding pretty lush and engaging right now. I'm really digging them.

I guess we all hear things differently.

Seafinch and irender like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Well, my 200 watts of Aragon 4004 power didn't do much.

When you say "wake up and come alive", do you mean you played them very loud? I listen near field at modest levels.

Also, when you say that "they have slowly opened up", over how long of a time period has that taken?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.